In POCKET reception?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dontwalkhand, Oct 18, 2012.

1. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

It seems like in certain areas, I pull out my Sprint iPhone 5, and I see it say "Extended" on the carrier portion of the display. I know this area has great signal from Sprint. It seems that in certain areas around my neighborhood, despite having a decent enough Sprint signal, it will roam on Verizon when it's in my pocket? I know this sounds weird, but it really is. Could it be that Verizon has 700Mhz or lower bands that improve "in building" therefore, "In pocket" coverage? The minute I pull the phone out of my pocket, it'll change from Extended to Sprint after a few seconds of holding the phone outside of my pocket.

I know the problem is not with Sprint, as I have an iPhone 4 on T-Mobile as well, and when I pull out the phone from my pocket, sometimes I see that I have no service, in an area that I know has service.

I just don't want to be missing calls just because my phone is in my pocket, being carried around like I have carried any other phone.

2. AJAAY macrumors regular

My Sprint iphone does this as well. Especially when I am at work.

If I'm sitting at my desk at work, and my phone is in my pocket. It will start to get warm becasue it's searching for a signal.

The moment I removed it from my pocket, it goes back to 3G.

3. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Sprint has a very poor network of its own. They tend to piggy back on the big carriers for support. Which results in Extended. You won't get 4g when on extended.

4. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

I tried Sprint for three days and was in an area on their map that showed excellent reception. The problem is I could not use my phone unless I went outside and then coverage was marginal.

Every time I went outside I would get missed call and email indications.

That was enough for me.