In Regards to all the "low-cost" iPhone Rumors

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nickprete11, Aug 19, 2013.

1. nickprete11 macrumors regular

Hello everyone! I just wanted to say my opinion in regards to the "cheap" iPhone. I personally do not think it will happen. As Steve Jobs once said, "we don't ship junk" and Apple was always for making the highest quality products. I simply do not think a "low-cost" iPhone is highest quality. I think the current way of making cheaper iPhones is working just fine (discount older flagship models). Phil Schiller and Tim Cook already shot down cheaper iPhone rumors. I simply just don't think it will happen.

2. Dented macrumors 6502a

In Regards to all the "low-cost" iPhone Rumors

Firstly - Steve jobs was well known for changing his mind (or appearing to) - announcing in public that apple definitely wouldn't do a thing, when it was beneficial for people to believe that, and then going ahead and doing it anyway later on. At one point Steve Jobs insisted that the iPhone would never support third party apps; just think what the world would be like now if he'd stuck to that.

Secondly, I sort of agree that there's too much emphasis on "low cost" in these rumours, as if Apple are going to be putting out something really cheap and shonky - that isn't going to happen. But, there will be a "lower cost" iPhone, in the sense of costing less than the current flagship model, because there always has been. Right now the 4 and 4S are selling very well as lower cost iPhones. The point of the 5C will, I think, be to replace those (and possibly the 5 as well) as a lower cost phone that actually costs apple a little less to make as well, so it's more profitable - but it will also get everyone on 4" screens and lightning connectors, which obviously the current 4/4S can't do.

So in a nutshell, cheaper, but not cheap - and sure it'll be a nice phone in its own right.

3. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

4. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

5. Dented macrumors 6502a

Not even the second. And they were still selling the last one what, a year ago?

6. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Yup. And low cost doesn't necessarily mean junk.

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Cost and quality are two entirely different things. It's certainly possible to have expensive junk and quality but inexpensive products. They're not mutually exclusive nor mutually inclusive. How are you assessing the quality of the low cost iPhone without any direct experience with it?

8. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

It's hurting Apple's business though, i.e. margins, profits.

9. nickprete11 thread starter macrumors regular

It's not the fact that it is plastic, it's the fact of having more than one "flagship" model. Like I said, Apple was never about making the most money or having the most market share. And besides, Apple loves to brag about how the iPhone is made of aluminum and glass. How are they going to advertise this supposedly "cheap" iPhone. I just don't see it happening. I guess we'll see come announcement date.

10. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

It definitely is about money and market share. They're a for profit business and more market share means greater revenue for their app and music stores. A plastic phone may look awful compared to metal and glass, but placing the 5's internals into a plastic case increases profit margins.

11. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

A funny thing happened on the way to the stock market...

12. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Whatever you are thinking, Cook didn't go to China twice in one year just to be a tourist, and the Chinese masses don't make enough to buy an iPhone when a cheaper Huawei does the job.