in search of a portable speaker system for new ipod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by turtlebud, Sep 11, 2008.

1. turtlebud macrumors 6502a

*sigh* guess it would behoove apple to get everyone to buy more accessories when they get their new ipods, but i wish I didn't have to. I have the original altec lansing inmotion that worked happily with my 3G ipod (classic), 2G ipod nano, and 1G ipod touch (which I was just trying out). I had heard reports of people getting a "this device is not compatible" messages, but I guess I didn't think much about it.... until I plugged my 2G ipod touch into the inmotion and was told that it won't charge it. :( (i read it had something to do with the voltage that the new ipod touch & iphone 3G need to charge at - it's 5V instead of 12V now)

so i guess i'm on the search for a new portable ipod speaker system to use with my ipod touch. any suggestions?

Here are the things that I'm looking for:
    1. dock
    2. charges the ipod
    3. decent sound quality (doesn't need to be bose)
    4. portability (i like to use it when i'm doing things around the house or the backyard)
    5. sub $100

Thanks in advance.

2. jonathansmith68 macrumors newbie

Have you considered Logitech's "Pure-Fi Anywhere 2"? Though a little over your $100 dollar price limit, you can get it at places like Amazon for about $115 I think. Just make sure it's the Pure-Fi Anywhere 2. The Pure-Fi Anywhere 2 supports the new iPhone 3G and I'm assuming the change in voltage is the same change that happened with the iPhone 3G. If that is the case, then this SHOULD work with the Pure-Fi Anywhere 2 (but don't quote me on that).

Maybe your best bet is to just wait a little while until all the new iPod Speakers say that they for sure work with the new 2nd Generation iPod Touch?

3. ricartedor macrumors member

Got you covered in bold with the built in speaker...

I know this is a slightly annoying answer but for less than $100 i think you'd be hard pressed to get much value in a set of speakers above what the touch comes with itself.

4. Brian513A macrumors member

i know you said somewhere around $100, but i have the griffin evolve and it's amazing. it was a little spendy, but thoroughly worth every penny spent. you can pick up the speakers and carry them with you wherever you go for god's sake. doing the dishes, cleaning the apartment... showering. it's everything you need in a portable ipod docking system, and it does sound good too. leave it to griffin. look into it.

5. Sief9 macrumors newbie

Get an iHome, my brother has one and it works for pretty much every iPod there is.
    1. Dock | yep.
    2. Charges iPod | yep.
    3. Decent sound quality | I never heard any buzzing noise, works fine, but don't have much of a base.
    4. Portability | Somewhat, its not something you can bring to school, but yeah you can unplug it and put it somewhere else in the house.
    5. sub $100 | It's I think, 80-100 dollars, I forgot.

And it's an alarm clock, and the alarm can be your music. So every morning I get to wake up to the soothing sounds of the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

6. turtlebud thread starter macrumors 6502a

What about the Amplifi or Journi by Griffin? I stumbled upon them while looking at cases for the 2G iPod touch. The sound quality of the Amplifi seems to be quite good, but it doesn't seem to be "compatible" with the 2G iPod touch (according to the Griffin site). I'm assuming that that means that it won't charge which is a bummer cause it's $90 at amazon right now. The Journi on the other hand seems to be able to charge the 2G touch but the sound quality isn't as rich as the Amplifi. That too, curiously $90 at amazon too even though it retails for less than the Amplifi.

7. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Anyone tried the JBL Duet 2.0 speakers? I'm considering getting a pair for my iPod and Macbook. For $50, they're supposed to be really good.

8. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I got the iHome and it does all you want for less than $100. The sound is pretty good also.

9. turtlebud thread starter macrumors 6502a

I stopped by the apple store yesterday and they have the pure-fi anywhere 2 (i'm pretty sure it was the 2 cause it had an iphone in it and it was charging). I was very impressed by the sound quality and am seriously consider it, even though it goes over my price range. I have noticed that it's pretty hard to find and a little confusing because most place sell the original pure-fi anywhere (I think). Is the anywhere 2 simply labeled as 2 or is there another easy way to tell the two versions apart. Logitech doesn't even have it listed on their website as "2" yet.

10. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Not exactly sure were that information came from, but it is only part of the story. The issue with charging stems from what bus the dock connector is using to provide power to the iPod Touch. The new Touch cannot utilize power coming from the Firewire bus, it only accepts power from USB.

I am sure they saved some space removing the circuitry that accepted power from firewire, perhaps the internal speaker or microphone supporting circuitry has taken its spot on the board.

[​IMG]