Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I was very sad to see that my favorite font, palatino, is not in Panther by default. So I'm wondering - are fonts available for free download? And if so, what is the best site to find them? thanks.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
ack... but when I click to download, it links me to a pay site. are these not available for free?

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
fonts are like music and software,
if your going to ask your going to get the answer that you must pay for it ....

soakwashrinse

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Palatino is a commerical font that was licensed by Apple for your use in Jaguar. If it is indeed the case that Palatino is no longer bundled with Panther, then you'll most likely need to buy it (http://www.adobe.com/type).

Palatino seems to be on my clean install of Panther -- but it's possible that it might have been bundled with my install of Adobe Creative Suite the other day. If you're desperate you might want to consider reinstalling Panther to see if it turns up. :)

And yes, I agree with the general sentiment that pirating commerical fonts sucks. A top-quality typeface takes literally years to design, refine and tweak -- its not much to ask that their creators be paid for their effort.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
LOL

I guess it is not coincidence that the advertising on the bottom of the page is for the same site I sent you
:)

Any site that can afford google advertising can't be free... how misguiding is that?!

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I should just make clear that my question was a sincere one - I really did not know if people charged for fonts or not. It's not that I knew they did charge, and was asking for a way to pirate them.

Though I must admit, it seems a bit rediculous... if I had a right to use palatino in jaguar, which I legally owned and still own, how can I not have a right to use it in panther, which I legally own?

edit: oh good god! palatino costs $22??? I was thinking a couple of bucks, sure... but $22 for a font that i used to have?? you gotta be kidding me!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by QCassidy352
I should just make clear that my question was a sincere one - I really did not know if people charged for fonts or not. It's not that I knew they did charge, and was asking for a way to pirate them.

Though I must admit, it seems a bit rediculous... if I had a right to use palatino in jaguar, which I legally owned and still own, how can I not have a right to use it in panther, which I legally own?

edit: oh good god! palatino costs $22??? I was thinking a couple of bucks, sure... but $22 for a font that i used to have?? you gotta be kidding me!

$22 isn't that much for a professionally-designed typeface.

Still, you didn't legally own Palatino, you had a licence to use it. I still have it available in Panther.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I guess we just have different conceptions of what's a reasonable cost for a font.

and look, I still own jaguar, so how do I no longer have a licence to use palatino? If I had 2 partitions on the same computer, one with jag and one with panther, I could use palatino. And it would all be legal.

It makes no sense, and if I can find a way to restore palatino, I will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.