In Search of New Car, Help Me Out

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by prodigee, Nov 4, 2009.

1. prodigee macrumors 6502a

Ok so I am in need of a new car, well new meaning new to me,

I have 6000 to spend, and have a few requirements
    -Needs to be able to have a roof rack (for skis)
    -Decent on gas (30 mpg highway would be good enough)
    -Quick, doesnt have to be fast, quick (people who know cars know what I mean)
    -Hatchbacks are preferred but if not whatever

All I am looking for is suggestions on cars, I have been looking at Golfs, but I cant really think of anything else, I really dont want to get a Civic.

Many Thanks,

prodigee

2. MMM.PWR macrumors 6502

MMM.PWR

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

and we know exactly what 6 k will buy around you somehow?

4. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

If you're so inclined, you could punch the ZIP code (from Google Maps) for Wilton, CT (right under his name) into AutoTrader.com and find out exactly what 6k will buy him. ;)

5. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

6. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

I'd get a Volvo V70. You'll probably be looking at something from the early 2000s with ~100k miles, but it'll easily do another 100k. Super-safe, can haul anything, and get remarkably good mileage. The non-turbo ones in particular have almost nothing to break.

7. prodigee thread starter macrumors 6502a

I would prefer to stay away from Volvo's, my dad had one, and virtually anything that could go wrong with it did.

8. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

9. prodigee thread starter macrumors 6502a

S40, he used talk it the ****40.

10. ski2moro macrumors 6502

I second the vote for a Volvo. Those things are built to last 200,000 miles or more when they are well taken care of. I had a V70 and two XC70s in the last 11 years. All were the 5 cylinder engines with a lite Turbo. I got 28-32 on the highway all the time. YMMV, but I never had any real problems - a window switch that failed, one radio needed the ground wire re-attached, and some wiring to the headlights needed to be replaced under warranty. I usually had 70,000 miles on the cars when I turned them in. Your insurance will probably cost less because it is a safe car. And as a bonus, you have lots of room with the seats folded flat.

Another possibility is a Jeep. The gas mileage isn't as good, but you will have the assurance of a 4X4 in your ski adventures. Lots of storage, too.

Everyone has a Civic or a VW or a Toyota.

Think different.

11. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Well, there's the problem. The first-generation S40 was a POS.

12. Lloyd Christmas macrumors regular

sorry to say but i dont think vw is a decent car to buy. my mom had a 2001 beetle and soon as it hit 60000 miles, every thing started to break. My pops told her to go out and buy a new car. if i was looking to buy a decent car i would have to say jeep cherokee. not the best on gas but comes with a excellent motor <inline 6> many many many parts to replace if needed laying around junkyards. very safe and can handle to the snow over the winter. even though this is the totally opposite thing you want, i dont think vw is worth it. even tho the vw rabbit is a sick a** car. Lloyd

13. prodigee thread starter macrumors 6502a

14. joshuarobi macrumors regular

Subaru Legacy or Outback?

15. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

I second staying away from the Volvo I only had 52k miles in my vehicle and the angle gear failed on my S60R it was only 2k over the limit and they wouldn't work with me... The regional quality guy refused it to my face...

16. prodigee thread starter macrumors 6502a

17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Wow, a female owning a 5 speed honda. And driving it 10 years. :eek:

18. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

The honda looks good to me...you should check it out..

i bought 2001 daewoo lanos 3 months back...just 55k miles on it...for $3000(from a dealer):cool:

I just take it to school and some nearby cities...no problems on speedway too...the ac is awesome and i got a new pioneer stereo(with cd and aux in) free with new speakers :D...gives 26-27 mpg:D

awesome car:p

19. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

:confused: Civics are great cars, and when shopping in the $6000 range, they're hard to beat for value. The Si especially - if you want something fun and quick, the Si delivers.

Otherwise, look for a Mazda Protege5 or (if you can find one cheap enough) a Mazda3. Great cars...

20. prodigee thread starter macrumors 6502a

21. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

There are generally good prices (bargains) on the Hummer; Models I, II, and III since the company was sold...

http://www.hummer.com/

The Hummer H3 Alpha seems a great vehicle and just the type of car you may need to push aside all these little battery-operated eco-boxes on the road! It has a Vortrek 5.3 liter V8 engine and variable-trak transmission (to replace the old quadra-trak) so you'd be getting a real deal!

22. prodigee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hahah, well the issue is that I need a decent fuel economy, and there is no way I will need that much room in the car, and because I have to fill up the tank out of my pocket a Hummer really isn't the way to go for me. That and they aren't cheap.

23. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

I don't know anybody who can afford to maintain an Audi out of warranty. Nice car, but steer clear.

24. prodigee thread starter macrumors 6502a

In the end, some how, I don't quite know how it happened, I ended up with a 2000 Integra GS, Silver, 5-Speed Manual, COMPLETELY STOCK, I was shocked when I found it and for the price I got it for, I make the pickup tomorrow (used car dealers take so damn long, I bought it on Saturday). I will be sure to post pics when I get it tomorrow, I am soooo excited you cant even begin to fathom my excitement.

25. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Congratulations, and enjoy your new car!:D