Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California

aaronvan

Suspended
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
I'm pretty sure high schools kids are mature enough to know they were running-up the score. Some were probably uncomfortable with it, too, but you gotta do what coach says.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Starters should have been out by the 2nd quarter and the coach should have told his players no 3 pointers. But I don't think he should be suspended.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Starters should have been out by the 2nd quarter and the coach should have told his players no 3 pointers. But I don't think he should be suspended.
No 3 pointers, all players must touch the ball before a shot, no shots before X seconds left on the shot clock, no pressing defense, etc. There is no way you score 162 points in, I believe, 32 minutes without trying damn hard to.

Reactions: ucfgrad93

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008

Agreed, unless there is something they are not telling us, like he was purposely trying to run the score up and was telling his players to run the score up. Then there might be an issue here.

No 3 pointers, all players must touch the ball before a shot, no shots before X seconds left on the shot clock, no pressing defense, etc. There is no way you score 162 points in, I believe, 32 minutes without trying damn hard to.

Agreed... there is no way, if you do what you are saying the score gets that high. There were probably a boat load of turn overs and then a lot of quick shots etc....

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I don't believe in all this "don't run up the score" crap.

I played basketball in high school. One season, we lost our opening game 77-23. Someone asked how we felt about the other team running up the score on us. We responded unanimously, "They didn't run up the score, they just handed our asses to us."

It would have been more insulting and condescending for the other team to have laid down on us than to just play their game.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
I don't believe in all this "don't run up the score" crap.

I played basketball in high school. One season, we lost our opening game 77-23. Someone asked how we felt about the other team running up the score on us. We responded unanimously, "They didn't run up the score, they just handed our asses to us."

It would have been more insulting and condescending for the other team to have laid down on us than to just play their game.

I agree with this 100%. Having been on both sides of the coin - pummeling teams and getting pummeled by teams, I wouldn't want any "mercy" in either direction. Play your hardest from whistle to whistle. Being in the zone and lighting a team up can feel exhilarating. And on the other hand, getting your a** handed to you once in a while is humbling and helps build character.

Reactions: Renzatic

tzhu07

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2008
It's far more disrespectful to go easy on an opponent.

Better to play like you would against any other team. If it happens that you decimate the other team, then so be it. Let that be motivation for the other team to come back stronger next time and avoid embarrassment.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
On the other hand, in high school I saw a lacrosse game where one opponent was clearly running up the score out of disrespect and for the sake of humiliation. They were callous and rude. They laughed and made fun of the other team during play and behind the backs of the referees.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I think that once you get 70 or 80 points behind, you could easily lose interest in offering any defense, and might just stand around and watch the other team go to their basket, where they score with almost no hindrance. The score would mount up pretty quickly. I remember watching a high school game like this some years ago - not really much of a game for either side, if you ask me!

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
On the other hand, in high school I saw a lacrosse game where one opponent was clearly running up the score out of disrespect and for the sake of humiliation. They were callous and rude. They laughed and made fun of the other team during play and behind the backs of the referees.

Something like this is a different story and completely out of line.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
In this weird contact sport in the USA, there's this bizarre punishment where the best teams who reach the finals are barred from getting the best prospects for the next year. Weird, huh?

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
In this weird contact sport in the USA, there's this bizarre punishment where the best teams who reach the finals are barred from getting the best prospects for the next year. Weird, huh?
This is the only way to run a sport. The lack of parity in European club football is more than sufficient evidence to suggest the draft should favor the worse teams.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
This is the only way to run a sport. The lack of parity in European club football is more than sufficient evidence to suggest the draft should favor the worse teams.
I think the four years the Niners did well making playoffs pretty much guaranteed we will be rebuilding after Kap is gone, or when he gets too old to be viable.

At least the Raiders' bad seasons gave them some time to get people and I think they will represent the Bay Area for football for the next few years.

We are on a high with the Giants and Warriors so just the sports spirit alone here makes teams play above their level.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I think the four years the Niners did well making playoffs pretty much guaranteed we will be rebuilding after Kap is gone, or when he gets too old to be viable.

At least the Raiders' bad seasons gave them some time to get people and I think they will represent the Bay Area for football for the next few years.

We are on a high with the Giants and Warriors so just the sports spirit alone here makes teams play above their level.
So I misspoke a little. It's not the only way to run a sport. The only thing I think is required is that the draft places are distributed evenly year after year. The NBA draft wheel proposal is another example.

That being said, there are some bad organizations which are just poorly run that don't benefit from multiple bad seasons.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
I don't agree with what the coach did here.

I played soccer up through college. I varsity soccer games with scores 10+ to 0-1 in High School. Usually once it was ~5-0 we'd ease off, as soccer is typically a pretty low scoring game. My coaches would usually institute 2 touch max (you're only allowed to touch the ball twice), anything more you'd be substituted out. Often the non-starters would play, players would play in unfamiliar positions, etc. Depending on the importance of the game, after ~5 my coach would tell us not to try to score. I have been instructed to intentionally miss if taking a shot.

I believe in sportsmanship. Pounding the opposing team into the ground is demoralizing and unnecessary.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/jan/18/high-school-basketball-coach-suspended-afte/

I've read stories like the one above from time to time.

Seems like BS to me. None of this kiddie glove nonsense should ever occur in sports.

Also your title is a "little" disingenuous, this wasn't doing well. This was a flat out killing/running up the score on an opponent. Doing well would have been a close game, the better or luckier of the two wins the game. But this wasn't a punishment for doing well.

I still stand by my original post, but this wasn't a case of doing well as your title suggests.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.