In-store pickup activation question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wahoo10, Oct 11, 2013.

1. wahoo10 macrumors 6502

Quick question:
    I've always gotten my iPhones mailed, obviously this time was a little different. I managed to nab one to pickup at a local store. I haven't had a chance to back up my old phone yet for moving over.
    Can I walk in and just ask for the phone and not get it set up in store? I assume then I would just take it home and do a normal set up like I have for the 3 other phones I've had...

Thanks

2. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Short answer: yes. Take the phone, go home. Esp. if it is unlocked. Just make sure you have the right nanoSIM. If you need a nanoSIM, Apple Store can give you one (there may be a small charge, can't remember).

3. wahoo10 thread starter macrumors 6502

It's an AT&T, 2-yr contract phone. I assume it comes with a new sim since its an upgrade. Again, never done this in store, don't see why it's different than mail though!

4. D3TSURA macrumors member

It's exactly the same as if you had it mailed so you have nothing to worry about. The person might ask you if you'd like to set it up in store but all you have to do is say no thanks.

5. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

i picked up my wife's new 5S instore and they refused to let me leave with it unactivated. they had to do it for me on the spot, she even double checked with a manager. i was surprised, as i was under the impression i would be able to as well.

6. Wolffie macrumors regular

Wolffie

This sucks. The reps are going to skip all the other important info (iCloud/ Location Services/ WiFi setup) and then the user has to go home, attach to a computer with iTunes, and set up the phone as new.
    What a PAIN in the @$$! Well, AT&T.

7. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

If they sell it to you on contract, they just have to activate it. They don't have to set it up or even open the box. Like someone else said, if they ask, just tell them you'll do the set up at home.

8. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

No, that's not how it works. They just scan the bar code on the shrink-wrapped box, wait a minute for the activation servers, then when they get the message that it's activated, you can leave, with the phone still in its shrink-wrapped box.
    I picked up an AT&T iPhone in an Apple Store just 3 days ago and that's what happened.

9. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

my rep opened the phone and activated it in front of me. i had to enter all my wifes icloud/apple id info. i told them i would take care of everything else at home once it was activated. i really didnt care either way.

10. kapalua12 macrumors 6502

When you reserve an upgrade phone with the Apple Store online for in store pickup and Apple Store is holding the phone for you to come and get it, that the phone is already charged to your credit card even before you pick it up? Correct?