In-store pickup. Do they have to activate it or can I take it home and activate?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nino313, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Nino313 macrumors member

I'll probably be in line to pick up my reservation at 7, but will probably need to be to work no later than 8. Can I just pay for it and leave or do I have to wait for them to activate it? Thanks

2. Nino313 thread starter macrumors member

3. fishmoose macrumors 68000

You can probably do it yourself, it saves Apple time so I don't see why they would be against it.

4. bmms8 macrumors 68020

to my understanding, they will have to do it in store. good luck.

5. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

They activate the phone. Only way that won't activate it is if the system goes down.

6. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

You'll still need to wait in the reserve line. And if you're not first in line you will still need to wait for those ahead to purchase and activate theirs. You won't be able to cut just because you want to take yours home...

7. Odid macrumors regular

Good luck getting it at 7am. Are you going to camp out?

8. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

More and more misinformation. Again, last year they did not make people activate it in the store. This only makes sense when you think about it and would be to their advantage. Imagine what the computer servers will do with trying to do all those hundred of thousands of activations all at once. :eek:

Plus people are getting the phones delivered to them as well sealed in the boxes. It is not like those come activated already. You have to plug it into iTunes as well to activate.

Sure they will likely be doing activations in the store, but I am also sure they will let you pay and leave if you want.

If you really want to know though, just call the store up and speak with a manager.

9. random person macrumors 6502a

If your plan has been selected and you have ben preauthorized to purchase, activation should take five minutes, and if AT&T system goes down you can activate at home no problem.

The big time waste is waiting for others to get activated, especially if there are pricing disputes etc. Do you may not get out of there by 8.

10. DaftDrunk macrumors regular

Through the desert on a horse with no name
    Yes, managers will insist that every worker activate the phone after the payment goes through. This is only on day one though. Day two will be more lenient.

11. joecg macrumors member

I called my Apple store and they said that they will activate it when you pick it up. They said it's rare for them to let people activate the phones themselves at home.

12. Tilt macrumors member

I would have to agree since when I asked for the store to ship it to my address instead of having to come back in they said initially they thought they would be able to but no I had to come to the store to pick it up. I thinking it gets them more chances to get you to buy accessories from them since the rep mentioned accessories twice while I was waiting for my pre-order. This was at AT&T.

13. Nde macrumors 6502a

Nde

Hey, thats how they sell you the $69 Applecare and MobileMe. It is to keep you there as long as they can. The dude that's helping you do not care, he basically work his 8 hours and go. How long of the line, none of his business. The longer he keeps you there, the less he works.

They got your money already.