In store pre-order question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by protobiont, Sep 14, 2012.

1. protobiont macrumors 6502a

At places like best buy and walmart, do they usually check your upgrade elegibulty when you reserved a pre-order, or do they just give you a spot and deal with the details on release day?

I ask because I ordered with Apple, got 2 week delivery (even though it showed "ships on 9/21" when I started my order), and can't cancel until the order status changes, so my upgrade is currently used up as far as apple's system is concerned.

So basically, just wondering if it's worth it to go to best buy or Walmart and try to get an in store preorder. If upgrades aren't checked until time of purchase, I'm sure I can cancel between now and then.

Thanks for any feedback!

2. protobiont thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

I am sure all of these places will take your order and money. The question is what you pay in the end.:confused:

4. protobiont thread starter macrumors 6502a

The price of the phone+ time and frustration. Just curious if they check upgrade eligibility when they give out preorder slots...

5. flamingoezz macrumors member

in the past, best buy had not checked contract to take a deposit from me (iphone 4)...and i went to walmart this AM, they also do not check until you buy the phone.

there is a $25 deposit..I'd check with that store if it is refundable as im sure walmart won't get many phones and you may wait longer than 2 weeks to get one there. you could also hit the jackpot though and land one on launch day though. good luck

6. protobiont thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! I went ahead and got the Walmart preorder. I'm number 2 on the list, but I have a sinking suspicion they won't have 32GB models on launch day... Did you get any sense on what sizes they would have available? The guys at my store had no clue.