"In terms of sim-free we only have Space Grey models available"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by *~Kim~*, Oct 23, 2013.

1. *~Kim~* macrumors 6502

I've been calling Apple Stores daily for a few days now, as I had planned to wait a month in the hope that it would make a 32Gb Gold Model easier to obtain. Today the Genius asked me whether I was looking to buy on contract or sim free, to which I replied sim free. She responded, "In terms of sim-free we only have the Space Grey models available." Does that mean they have gold and silver in some capacities but reserve them for contract purchases?

I really didn't want to order online because of the missing packages stories, and I don't have a credit card to provide any kind of protection. I have a packaged bank account with mobile insurance, but if the package turns up empty and Apple and UPS don't do anything, I'm guessing that I won't have an IMEI number to claim from it. If contracts are given priority by Apple however, I'm starting to consider it again. I need one ASAP now as the person who has buying my current iPhone from me has broken their HTC completely (previously it was only a cracked screen.)

Thanks

2. Jman13 macrumors 68000

You were the one on the phone with her. Why didn't you ask her? How could we possibly know what she meant?

3. *~Kim~* thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't think of it at the time. I'm not sure that a Genius would admit it, but I will ask when I call up tomorrow.

4. CEmajr macrumors 601

They probably just don't have them in stock due to demand. You'll just have to keep checking back. Your best bet is to just order one online or else you're probably going to be waiting a while for gold and silver to be abundantly stocked in store.

5. dlondon macrumors regular

Today is the first time I was told that the Apple store had stock but only for contracts and they said they could not sell the devices sim free because they were locked. I was told that this was to ensure that everyone could get a phone. Everyone who wants a contract it seems. They kinda missed the boat if they were trying to prevent scalpers. A reservation system linked to your Apple ID (which is how they did reservations before) would've also reduced scalpers ability to bulk buy.