In terms of speed: Chrome vs Safari

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Beeplance, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

Title says it all. I do not care about the additional features, so in terms of speed, does safari win due to the nitro JavaScript? I'm currently using an iPhone 3GS & chrome seems to be quite slow. Plus scrolling, pinching to zoom lags as well.

What do you guys think?

2. audix macrumors regular

I think Safari is actually faster on the phone.

3. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

OP I have tried various different browsers with various different iPhones including the 3GS at one point and generally safari usually is the snappiest,smoothest and most responsive

4. THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

Apple cripples 3rd Party browsers by not letting them use the nitro engine that Safari takes advantage of. However, I use Chrome and I find it faster to me. Also, I know you said you don't care about features but it had some great ones that make it worth using.

5. In Utopia macrumors regular

Chrome is faster on my iPhone, Safari is faster on my iMac.

6. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

I wish Apple would allow 3rd party browsers to use the full capabilities of the phone, it would force them to make Safari as good as it can be.

For Example, the new additions in Safari 6... I am pleased with it. I have always preferred Safari on my Mac because of the little things and how it fully takes advantage of the Mac's multi-touch gestures.

7. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

8. SurferMan macrumors 65816

What's odd is Chrome on my GSII is generally faster than Safari, sometimes even loading full sites with vids enabled about the same time or slightly slower than Safari loaded the mobile version, pretty impressive. Just in general it's very fast and smooth on the GSII. However on the iPhones Chrome seems a bit slower or about the same, not sure as don't really use the iPhones and only tried it quickly on there.

Chromes my go to on my Macs though w/o a doubt over Safari, way more stable.

9. cruisencode macrumors member

10. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Safari is faster everywhere (except Windows) since Mountain Lion and Safari 6.

Especially on iOS, as Chrome is not boosted by the Nitro javascript engine which significantly boosts the speeds in Safari.

Though I still prefer the Chrome UI on iOS, I am sticking to Safari.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Safari, is better on the phone AND OSX. Safari 6 really is very good. Never really used Safari due to it being inferior to other options like firefox and chrome for years, but that just isn't so anymore. It is also much smoother than FF or Chrome.

12. aircanman macrumors 6502

Chrome wins for me when it comes to my MBP, Safari is slightly quicker but you lose some of the nice Chrome features, not forgetting the ability to clear the history in one step, Safari drops bits of the net all over the place.

When it comes to iOS, I found Chrome snappier, but they need to sort out the Favorites launching system before I start using it properly.

13. Glideslope Suspended

Glideslope

Safari 6 has replaced Chrome on my Mac's with 10.8. I'm loving it.

Safari has always been quicker on my 4. :apple:

14. Nicolas4ever macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

for me chrome is faster than safari and i really like it BUT i have got used to safari over the years lol so i miss some things like the bar in the bottom:p

Still chrome is faster and in some way better.