In the land of the strange... but true.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hijaxOO7, Aug 19, 2008.

1. hijaxOO7 macrumors newbie

hijaxOO7

I just burned some CDs recently, of music obviously, and I noticed something somewhat strange.

When I playback the CDs in my car stereo... or any stereo for that matter the music will skip backwards, as if the CD is scratched. Almost like a digital blip or something, and it will happen on every single track. Other times though (i.e. same day events) that very same CD will not do a thing and play completely fine. Any ideas? More of an annoyance rather than a problem... just seeing if I had any common ground to fix the issue.

Edit:

Burned them using the Burn Folder Function.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Which application did you use to burn the CDs? If you used something other than iTunes or another application designed to create music CDs, that may explain the problem.

3. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

That's one of the weirdest problems I've ever even heard of. No idea.

The only thing I can think of is it has to do with the media you're using. Try higher quality CD-Rs.

4. valvehead macrumors regular

There are many factors at play here. What are the source files? What brand of media are you using? What speed are you burning at?

Does Burn Folder write as an Audio CD or MP3 CD? I've never tried it so I don't know if Audio CD burning is even possible.

The quality of the media makes a pretty big difference. Attached are comparisons of two discs burned at 16x on a Plextor 716A (in my desktop PC). The first is Maxell, and the second is Taiyo Yuden. The TY has only about a third the average C1 errors compared to the Maxell. Cheap, generic brand media may produce far more C1 errors and even some C2 errors.

Taiyo Yuden used to be pretty expensive, but their prices aren't much higher than other brands now. Here are the ones that I use: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817172110

Attached Files:

5. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

My car has a Bose system that absolutely refuses to play a burned CD without freezing, skipping and generally making a mess of things. Burning at 1x mostly fixes things.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

What kind of CDs you people use? I use TDKs and I've never had problems. EVER. *knock on wood*

7. hijaxOO7 thread starter macrumors newbie

hijaxOO7

well I'm using ridata CD-R's. The problem with that theology is the fact that on my PC using the same CDs I didn't get the same results.

When you burn something from a burn folder you have the option of burning at 8x or higher (24x I believe). I always burn at 8x because the results were worse at higher speeds.

I will try to burn them through iTunes and see if the issue persists and let you all know.

8. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

iTunes prefs will allow you to select a 1x burn speed.

9. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

toast titanium will burn anything with no problems :D

i only used the burn folder when i needed to back up data :)

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

This is just fascinating. You learn something new every day browsing this forum. Actually, I never knew that burning at lower speeds produced better quality CDs, in fact, I used to get very very nervous when iTunes burned a CD at a low speed. My current MBP burns all the way from 1x up to 22x, whereas, when I had a PC it was pretty standard, rarely going below 6x and rarely exceeding 9x or 10x. My beautiful MBP has stalled, or flown through CDs while burning them. It has also frozen completely several times when burning CDs at low speeds, and sometimes the dreaded spinning beach ball of death has also then appeared. Cheers.