In The Market For A Case (3GS), Have Certain Requirements. Any Suggestions?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Agent 21, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Agent 21 macrumors regular

I love the sleek look of the phone (who doesn't), but the super glossy finish makes me really nervous. I don't care so much about prints/smudges, they can just be wiped clean, but it just seems "slippery" to me and all I can think about everytime I use it is dropping it. Doesn't help that I'm a surfer and spend almost 8 months of the year traveling in tropical places so my hands are quite often slick from sunscreen and or sweat (it actually sounds gross when I read that back, lol, but I'm sure you get what I mean). That combined with the ultra-slick back of the phone just seems like the odds are totally against me, a drop is bound to happen. Here's what I'm looking for in a case:

LOOKS - I want something sleek, true to the "naked" phones style. That doesn't necessarily mean I want it to look like the phones naked, just means I'd like something that is sleek and stylish like the phone itself, not something bulky/awkward-looking (that Otter case is a perfect example of a hideous-looking case).

FINISH - Something "matte" or "satin". The high gloss looks excellent, but the slick feel of them makes me nervous, so I'd like something with more of a matte feel, like the original aluminum iPhone felt.

PROTECTION - I don't have a "rugged" job. Yeah, surfing takes it's toll (though the places are beautiful, the travel is brutal, and when you're riding 20ft waves over a razor-sharp reef in 4 inches of water things can go VERY wrong lol), but I don't have my phone on me "on the job" (in the water) so I'm not like the construction workers or landscapers or firefighters on here that need a heavy-duty, rugged case to prevent shock from drops and impacts and such. Obviously protection is a plus, but for my needs it's not as important as the look/feel.

I've browsed sites like www.ultra-cases.com and even saw an advertisement for another line that was absolutely stunning (can't remember the name but they were like a metallic candy color and came in red, blue, chrome, or gold I believe), but they all look like they are just as "slippery" as the naked phone so unfortunately I can't use them.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated. I've been looking at so many cases lately, outside opinions would be a very welcomed change.

Thanks

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

I don't know if Reveal will be one of your choices, it's sleek but not matte/satin finish.

You could however get opinions from this long thread.

3. Agent 21 thread starter macrumors regular

Wow that case is pretty friggin badass. I could prolly stick something on the back to give it a little "grip", some surf company stickers or something (I've got a few that I always thought would look cool on my phone but obviously wasn't going to put stickers on the actual phone lol), and that band of silicone looks to be right where I grip the phone so that case could be a winner. I'll have to get to an Apple store and check it out.

4. nezff macrumors regular

I love the look of the iPhone also and wanted a case that would be slick and sexy also. The otterbox isnt for everyone, but if you need protection from drops or water splashes, the otterbox is the one. Most people have a misconception that the otterbox is bulky, it is not. the iPhone is a smidget less than a 1/2 inch thick, with the otterbo, it is only 3/4 of an inch thick. it only adds maybe a 1/4 of an inch.

anyway, back on topic. I have a brand new switcheasy rebel sepent in white that I bought at first to try out. I like the case and the look, but feel like there is no protection if it gets dropped. if it rains, you could possibly be screwed. It is a great case to protect the back of the phone from getting scratched, but the front is wide open. If you dont feel like you would ever really be around anything that could harm the phone, or you are not that clumsy, then the switcheasy is a great case.

5. dread macrumors 6502a

6. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

InCase Slider

So I had the Gun Metal ones and they were great, pretty rugged and only cracked with a direct drop on a corner. Each time however my iPhone was unscathed. I now have an iPhone 3GS and thought I should get a different case so I went with the iFrogz ClearTop model. I got it for $18 on their website. It arrived, I thought it was slick, fit well on the phone and barely added to the phones profile. I'm not sure what happened, but within days the clear part cracked where it met the bottom part.

So back to the Apple Store I went and checked out In Case's new Slider made with Bamboo. It's 40% bamboo and 60% plastic. I'm not an environmentalist at all but I guess this is cool. But my logic was that the bamboo might be able to absorb shock better should it be dropped. I went with the Brown InCase Bamboo Slider. It fits snuggly like other InCase Sliders but the feel on it feels like there's more grip but not too much. it's a matte type finish and might be in teh lines of what you are looking for. :)

7. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

I'd also vote for the Incase Slider if you're looking for a sleek case. I have it in matte black and it is the case I use most often. It offers more grip than a naked iPhone, some drop protection, and a clean, non-flashy look.

I recently picked up an iSkin Solo FX, which is a rubber/plastic case that isn't bulky and has a smooth finish to it. I got it in orange, which is a bit bright, but they have a black version (just the iSkin Solo, not the FX model) that is more restrained. You can see the back of the iPhone through the case and it offers decent protection as well, and the surface isn't tacky enough to hinder putting it in your pocket. This is worth a look if you want something simple that doesn't completely hide the iPhone, IMHO.

8. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

casemate barley there is having a nice sale

3 for $25 (normally $20 each)