In the market for a new rMBP. Should I buy now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by apos13, Mar 11, 2013.

1. apos13 macrumors newbie

I want to get the 13 rMBP but it's pretty much a MBA with a better screen. I would get the the 15 but all the recent problems and the $600 difference have dissuaded me. Should I wait for the July upgrades?
    I'm in no hurry to buy. I'm currently using a Mac mini. I just want portability and power and connectivity with all the ports that the rMBP has compared to the MBA.

2. Sean76 macrumors 6502a

Sean76

Before the vultures swoop in and say Wahhh Wahhh Wahhh, no don't buy a rMBP because it's not a good machine, or the screens not worth it, or something better is coming soon...I 'll put my 2 cents in, I have a 13in rMBP and love it!

I had the 13in MBA previously and can attest to my rMBP just feeling like a much better machine IMO. I just enjoy using it more, and don't miss that annoying silver (scratch magnet) bezel at all.

To answer the 3 examples I posted above...

1-It's a great machine IMO, hands down the best I've ever owned

2- The screen is deff worth it! I love it...

3- Yes something better is always around the corner, in the case of the rMBP your looking at a new processor (Haswell)
    Only issues I see with waiting for the next rMBP is that it will not be out until the fall of 2013, who knows what the pricing will be, and who knows if these new processors will have issues or not.

I'm a firm believer in doing some research, playing with one on your own, considering your finances, and most importantly figuring out if the current machine available will work in your favor and do the job you need it to do. If yes and it will get the job done I'd recommend picking one up and enjoying it...Great Machine!

3. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Sounds like you can wait, so wait.

4. leman macrumors 604

Its actually a 13" MBP with a better screen ;) Anyway, if you can wait, then wait. Haswell will bring a nice boost for the integrated graphics.

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The 13" rMBP has a better processor and better cooling than the MBA as well.

If you're in the US then check out Apple's refurbished store, getting a machine with a nice discount should help ease the pain if an update comes out soon :)

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

I don't think that there are any of the 13" retinas on there right now but the 15" retina 2012 model is available for $1779.

6. Sean76 macrumors 6502a

Sean76

Also..Just a side note

Haswell is releasing this so called miracle processor in June, which means we probably won't see it in Apple's machines until around Oct, probably on the heels of the next iphone. That's roughly 8 months away, that's a long time to wait like some will recommend. But dig in, do some research and roll with what will work for you...

7. maxosx macrumors 68020

By all means wait!

You'll be so happy you did. Apple is having run away fan problems with the current 15" MBP retina's. I have one and wouldn't wish this problem on an enemy. Nor do we know what or if Apple will take care of it. Usually they do, but one never knows these days.

It's now all about iOS devices, with Apple no longer giving computers a high priority. They simply made the retina because they could, because it returns massive profit to Apple, and to continue to grab headlines with their clever naming schemes like "Retina".

8. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

If he can/is willing to wait. It's not like he *has* to wait.

The rMBP, like most first gen products from Apple, have issues. That's probably the best reason to wait -- hopefully most of the major/current issues currently experienced with rMBPs will be resolved.

9. Sean76 macrumors 6502a

Sean76

I think the OP should wait just because you think he should...hahahaha

Man you make like everyone on earth is having problems with the rMBP. Lets make one point clear, this is a public forum, for the most part the majority of people who have a rMBP don't come lurking into public forums to say how much they love they're machine...It's more the people who have a problem who come looking to investigate an issue that's effecting them...What is that like how much percent of rMBP's sold 1-2%??? Stop it already, what do you think people who buy cMBP's like yourself don't run into issues? Everything, every single product known to man runs into issues...Nothing is perfect, the sooner you learn that, the better of you'll be.

10. unobtainium macrumors 68000

What July upgrades? Haswell comes in June, but Apple could release a refresh as late as September-October. There's simply no way of knowing. The most accurate analyst (Kuo) says Q3, which could mean July, August, or September.

For what it's worth, I can say that the early 2013 rMBP is the most enjoyable computer I've ever owned.

11. Sean76 macrumors 6502a

Sean76

Yea a few people have been saying June, July time frame. What they failed to look into is the fact that the actual processors will be some what available in June, which doesn't mean they'll actually make they're way into the machines at that time. If I had to pick a time frame I'd say around the next iphone's release, which put's the refresh around October...8 months away.

Glad your enjoying your rMBP, enjoying mine as well.

12. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I agree with Sean76 - what issues? The vast majority (as with any other model that sees complaints posted) are fine.

I just purchased (2/16) the 15" rMBP (mid-2012, mfg. November) 2.7 GHz, 16 GB, 768 GB model and it's as perfect as I can detect (and I'm very picky). No display issues whatsoever (no uneven lighting, tints, dead pixels, or any other artifacts).

As much as I've liked other MBP's and PB's, especially the Unibody (I previously had a UB 17" Early 2009), this is the best yet. It's a very nice refinement of what is becoming a "classic" Apple design. The lightness is incredible for such a capable machine (I'm going from 6.6 lbs to 4.4 and it's very noticeable when it's been on my lap for a while). The thinness is amazing, though less important to me. Even the subtle change in the thumb relief in the front (where you open the lid) is noticeable (they've changed the angle).

The machine runs relatively cool, even when under heavy use (cooler than the 17"). The fans are quieter and less objectionable than the 17" I had (not that the 17" was really noisy).

Yes, there will be another "tick" from Intel (or is it "tock"? I never get that right :) ), though new models using Haswell most likely won't be released until Fall, 2013. If you're in the market now, I wouldn't wait - there's always something else coming within a year. Ivy Bridge is still a great architecture, and the process "tock" to 22nm results in lower power and temps, while keeping the performance of Sandy.

I say if you're ready now, get it. I was going to wait until next fall myself, especially having just put a SSD in the 17" last Oct., but the mid-2012 rMBP was a deal I couldn't pass up and I'm glad I didn't.

I don't know about Kessel runs, but "It's fast enough for you old man." applies - for me anyway.

13. gregorious macrumors newbie

From what I can tell, the haswell dual core mobile i5's used for the 13 inch won't be released until later in the year.

Will we be seeing a similar timeframe as 2012? (i.e. 15 inch is updated in july, 13 inch in october?)

14. Handsome Bacon macrumors regular

Handsome Bacon

Just look at all the problem threads/topics regarding the retina MBP around here and ask yourself that question again.

15. Rocketpaul macrumors regular

The very nature of the forum means that people will only post threads when there is an issue. The majority of users will not post a thread to say how perfectly smooth their device is running.:rolleyes:

16. locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

I have the rMBP since the summer and love it. But if you could hold off 3-5 months then get the newer model. No point of getting the older model if newer model is just around the corner. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying wait forever and I know new models come out all the time but what if i took the plunge last March and got the cMBP before the rMBP came out? I would still be disappointed even though the cMBP is a great machine.

17. joshhedge macrumors regular

I think you mean Intel. Haswell is the name of the micro architecture.

18. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

If you want a 13" rMBP, go get one. They were just updated a bit so you can now get a 256GB model for $1,699 (or less with discounts). Forget all of this Haswell stuff because as soon as the model with Haswell comes out, everyone on here will start talking about how they're waiting for Broadwell, and then Skylake, blah blah blah.

End of the day a rMBP purchased today will not be significantly different than one with Haswell 6 months from now. The only major difference is that you will have gone another 6 months of your life without enjoying a rMBP that is hot right now.

19. Sean76 macrumors 6502a

Sean76

Yes Intel...However I'm sucked into all the hype here and have even myself begun just saying Haswell. I know who makes em good buddy ; )

By name only though , I'm not buying into the hype part where people have begin creating threads thinking the next round of actual (Intel processors) will make the Mac a million times better! Somewhat better yes, but an 8 month wait type better? No, Happy enough with the current.

----------

Absolutely 1000% Some still don't get that , and believe that the negative makes up for the larger majority!

----------

More likely on the closer side of 8 months.

And you can't compare waiting for an actual Retina machine vs a classic...2 totally opposite machines! This is a wait for the same machine with just a different processor. I'd side with someone maybe waiting for an entirely different model that may be on the horizon, however this is just simple hype because of a newer processor that people have hyped other people into believing will be a totally different problem free machine!

If you can buy now, buy now IMO. 8 months to wait for an upgraded processor when the majority number of retina owners are happy now just doesn't warrant such a long wait.

----------

Agreed! Its a vicious cycle when you start the waiting game.

20. Handsome Bacon macrumors regular

Handsome Bacon

Disagree. I posted how much I liked my machine, so your argument is completely invalid. Nearly every other thread here is addressing some kind of issue related to the retina MBP. Face it, retina buyers are basically beta testing this device, and for a lot of $$$. I will be happy to buy one when the bugs are worked out - the price of things is not an obstacle for me.

21. Stetrain macrumors 68040

So because you (one person) posted about how you liked your machine, that invalidates his idea that the majority of users don't post unless there's an issue? The logic there isn't quite working out for me.

The issue-biased nature of these forums is a very observable thing. I think that the only real comparison you can make is between different generations of MBPs over time, and I think that there are probably a few more issues this time around (namely the image retention thing), but the daily posts of "Is my MBP running too hot? Is this normal?" have been a staple here for years.

22. cbaty08 macrumors newbie

I just purchased my first Mac (15" retina) and couldn't be happier.

I've been a Windows guy my whole life, and wanted to switch it up; I've installed W7 via bootcamp (super easy) and after a couple weeks with it, I don't see me looking back.

Go for it.

PS - I haven't had issues with my early 2013 build FWIW.

23. Applefanboy8153 macrumors regular

Hadwell is gonna be delayed because of USB connectivity issues. Also 1st gen processors have problems especially because Intel is rumoured to be using new chipset construction style. So unless you want to wait another year get a rmbo now as the technical problems corrected haswell will not be out until December at least. The rmbp is beautiful I have one. Also the MBA is kinda underpowered

----------

Nope it has a very small footprint and also the design is mote like MBA

24. Rocketpaul macrumors regular

Unfortunately a sample group of 1 (i.e. you) is not enough to invalidate my theory.

I second this point, my input is no longer needed.

25. Bokes macrumors 6502

I finally went to check out the 13inch retina and it's a fantastic piece of work.
    Built like a tank- yet very easy to tote about. And the screen is gorgeous.

I'm currently trying to unload my MBA to help fund the purchase.

IMO- get it.