In the market to buy a new macbook, suggestions.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xstaycold, Jul 24, 2011.

1. xstaycold macrumors newbie

I'm about to start my first year of college this fall, and I'll be doing business administration classes the first two years, and then I'll either be doing computer engineering or computer science for a couple years after that. I just graduated from high school this past june, and I've successfully saved up a little over $3,000 for a computer. I'm interested in getting an MBP 17" , but possibly might change to a 15". havent decided yet. but i know the latest MBP came out earlier this year. and ive been doing some intensive google searches on speculations of the next MBP release. ive been reading that a new pro could be coming out anytime between october-march. so what i'm asking is,

Should I buy an MBP now? or would it be better to wait it out for the new release.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. xstaycold thread starter macrumors newbie

possibly the best advice i've ever been given in the least amount of words. haha, thanks.

4. Heinsenberg macrumors member

I'll give you a suggestion; get a Incase sleeve......and buy now. ;)

5. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

The 17" may be a bit much if you have to lug it around campus. Need it soon? Buy now.

Congrats on graduating HS & saving major ducats for the Mac!

6. jasonbro macrumors regular

go for a 15". 17" is too big for college. Get a 15" HD. I had such a crappy dell for college. A 15" HD is perfect, 17" is too big.

7. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

I agree with what the others have said.

Buy it when you need it, whatever model happens to be out will be a good choice.

15' is the way to go, a good size screen and still very portable.

8. randomrazr macrumors 65816

since school starts in september and the new macbook pros wont arrive until early next year, which as been the recent trend with them, u my as well buy it now as u will need a computer for university.

heck even the 13inch macbook pro would work fine for you. its even more easier to carry around.

but if u think the 13inch is to cheap (anything over 1000 for a computer is paying premium) then id go with the 15inch,

what i dont get is, if ur taking business, isnt that a 4 year bachelors degree? not 2?

9. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

17" isn't really that big... same size (and a little thinner) than most 16" windows laptops...

I'm taking mine off to college with me in the fall, but then again i'm going straight into engineering classes so I need all the screen I can easily get. But at the same time I'm not sure I could live with any smaller of a screen.

10. madisonfaye macrumors regular

madisonfaye

I personally would go for the 15", I find 17" to be too big to carry around to classes and such. I'd also opt for the Hi-Res screen as it gives you a lot more room to work with on the screen and gives you a sort of 17" feel without the added bulk.

I wouldn't expect a crazy refresh until 2012, so if you need a laptop now I'd get one. You will be waiting forever if you never want your Macbook to become out of date. The back to school promo is pretty nice right now as well :)

Good luck!!

11. ClassOf2015 macrumors newbie

i need help too

hi I'm want to buy a new macbook pro too. :D I bot a macbook g4 silver color big screen from a friend for 350 dollars - way cheaper than a new one and it has a tiger but i went to the apple store to by a lion (the new one out) and the store guy told me that my mac is too old and he also told me that the most it will take is shepard and then he told me they don't sell it anymore because its also old and that if i want lion i need to buy a new computer. :mad: is that true because i don't know if he is just pushing me to by a new computer. :mad: a new one cost more than 1000 dollars and i don't have that kind of money. :p i read a posting here that said i can download a lion from the macstore. how do i do that? thank you and I'm also open to sugastion about a new macbook. :)

12. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

well I'm a bit confused...you say it is a Macbook G4, but MacBooks were never made with G4 processors. Is it a powerbook or iBook? If so, then yes, it cannot run lion. If it is a Macbook, however, it may be able to run Lion.

Click the apple logo in the top left and click on "about this mac". If it says Intel Core Duo, you can't run Lion. However, if it says Intel Core 2 Duo then you CAN run Lion

13. ClassOf2015 macrumors newbie

thank you so much. i dont know where to find the cora duo but im gonna write down all that it says. It says mac os x version 10.5.8 processor 1.25 ghz powerpc g4 memory 1 gb ddr sdram starup idsk powerbook hd.
    im pretty sure this is a macbook because it has the glowy aple on the back. so can i run lion???

14. KushPizzaSleep macrumors newbie

LOL! your going to drop $3000 dollars on a freaking computer to due some entry level coding and spreadsheets on? Save your money kid, buy a used Macbook pro and upgrade the ram and harddrive and save yourself the $2500 for rent/tution/booze/girls/car ect ect, you are gonna get killed with deprecation buying a top end laptop like that

15. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

the powerbook also had the glowing apple...sounds like you have a powerbook, but either way, you definitely have a powerpc g4 which can't run lion unfortunately. the highest you can run is leopard

16. grimstock macrumors newbie

does your state have a tax-free weekend for back-to-school? waiting for that, along with the education discount, could save a bit of money.

17. ClassOf2015 macrumors newbie

oh i relly wanted a lion. im a bit sad but its ok. thanx anyways. your very sweet. :) take care!
    - brittany