In the name of advertising/buzz, who thinks the new prototype iPhone is a plant?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 63dot, Apr 28, 2010.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

This sounds like the best move from Apple if it were. There's so much buzz around this new design even I want one, and I have no need for most of the features of the iPhone. There has been much debate on San Francisco's KGO, and Gore (former editor) of Macworld and Leo LaPorte (tech gadget guy) both think SJ is the master in buzz whatever the outcome of all of this.

BTW, I use a moto razr but can easily be talked into a new iPhone.

Also, remember the leak of the first LCD iMac in Time Canada a day before? Leak or buzz?

Thoughts?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Considering the considerable cost to Apple and most of the other parties involved in terms of finances (for a lawsuit) and bad PR, I'd be surprised if it was a plant.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Evidence to support this claim? If Apple did do the whole buzz/fuzz, they are well committing a crime. Wasting government resources for buzz.

4. ethical macrumors 68000

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Only a desperate company would do that. I don't see Apple as desperate.

6. trule macrumors 6502

I read online news papers from several countries around the World and every day there is a story about this phone ... free advertising ... happens with each new product release from Apple. Its soooo boring.

7. trule macrumors 6502

Apple pays a fair amount of tax so I guess they can lay claim to some government resources and keep a clean conscience.

8. ethical macrumors 68000

Every company pays taxes. Doesn't mean it's ok to waste them.

9. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Apple generates so much hype without having to play this kind of game, it'd surprise me if they did this on purpose. That said, I'm also kind of surprised that they'd so easily let a prototype leave the premises.

10. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

If I was Apple, I'd be more worried about the public going 'Huh...' the day they debut the next iPhone.

By the looks of it, it could be an even weaker upgrade then from the 3G to the 3GS...

It is odd that they are going ballistic on those attached to the leaks of the proposed iPhone. Interesting... The cat's out of the bag (or not) and people are going to be beside themselves with lust (or not). Kicking the stuffing out of yet another gossip and rumour site isn't going to win the hearts and minds of knowledgeable consumers and likely won't improve the reception of the unveiled product. Now that Apple apparently has competition licking at it's heels, this is no time to bring an insignificantly upgraded/updated iPhone 3GS... Not that I can think of anything that would make me want to spend the big money to get yet another iPhone upgrade. X-Ray vision? Built-in laser pointer? Death-ray?

And, yes, if it is a fake, they had better be careful. I guess making the engineer fall for something is better than them getting busted for fraudulently filing police charges themselves... Sure, pass it on to the 'unnamed engineer'. Ruin HIS life. Make HIM take one for the company...

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

sorry but no

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

A plant? No way. Apple doesn't need to do crap like that to get free publicity.

13. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

This thread sounds like the radio broadcasts and debates. :)

Either way, I want to see this thing when it comes out. And, who would care if this was a dell product!:D

14. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Lol no, Exxon (or Walmart) pays more taxes than Apple and doesn't make it ok for them to waste them.

15. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

I personally don't think this latest thing is a leak as about half the radio callers believe and many rumor mills and blogs.

What I do believe is that SJ is a genius in creating buzz and he would do "just about" anything to create buzz. This last move, while a possible clever move, is just too risky. Legally, I don't know of any laws being broken, per se. Want to talk about waste. Look at the California appeals process. (Different thread).

The article mentioned above is well written but does not know anything about Apple, Silicon Valley, or the high tech business in general. Living and working here, it's amazing how much gets said, how much of it is accurate, but really how most don't really care that much in the end. On any given week, it's impossible not to work with, or see a billionaire or centimillionaire. It goes with the territory.

When every other person is working directly in the business or a closely related business to high tech, it's the last thing people want to talk about. Around the world, Windows 7 and the big claims that this will redeem Windows. Around the valley? Bleech, who cares!!

Just hang out at any of the gathering places of techies/engineers in the valley, and many rumors you hear come true. People who work in this field day in and day out don't care and realize while SJ amazes others who know nothing about high tech, only see him as one of many really competent high tech CEOs in the area.

One thing is for certain. Obvious upgrades and needs not being met comes out in the form of a product from one of the companies around here more often than not.

The myth that Apple is as secretive as a defense company is laughable. The myth that a defense company, or even the White House is secretive, is again laughable. Part of the myth of Apple and the buzz is how secretive they are, thus when something does come out early, it makes press. It's gotten to the point the newscasters roll their eyes whenever it comes to a new Apple story. They have worn out the welcome mat with news headlines. We get it. Apple is cool. Now pass the potatoes.

Leaks happen as long as people are involved. Sorry, it happens and any worshipful belief of Apple hitting a home run with every product and every employee being a perfect image and loyal subject of a god-like Steve Jobs in a company to change the world is hyperbole.