In the past, did Verizon or Apple ship pre orders early?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kacper, Sep 8, 2015.

1. kacper macrumors regular

I remember last year some carrier or Apple, I'm not sure who shipped the new iPhones early. Do any of you remember who? I don't know where I should pre order, Verizon or Apple? It would be nice getting it a day or 2 early! :)

2. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

They ship ahead of time but are held by UPS & FedEx. Inevitably a couple get through, but they are very few and far between.

3. duaneu macrumors 6502a

It happens sometimes. In 2010, my iPhone 4 came a day early.

4. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

Same here, directly from Apple. Standing in line to pick up my girlfriend's iPhone the next day was amusing.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

In 2012 UPS let a few slip through.

It's rare. The carriers get penalized HARD by Apple if that happens.

Because of that they do their absolute best to make sure they deliver only when they are supposed to.

My iPhone 5 sat for a week on UPS's ramp in KY. On launch day, one four hour flight and that was the end of it.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

If you can get your tracking number you can correlate that via the tracking with flights that take off from the origin airport. With that info you can use flightaware.com to track your flight if you wish.

I tracked mine all the way from KY to Phoenix, AZ.

7. AppleCaked macrumors member

AppleCaked

• Wanting Is Better Than Having: Invoked by Hobbes when Calvin sent away for a motorized propeller beanie. While he restlessly waits the six weeks for the beanie to arrive, Calvin keeps dreaming about how he'll be able to use it to fly around the neighborhood. When it arrives, it turns out to be an ordinary beanie with a propeller.
      • But it came in this great box!

8. kacper thread starter macrumors regular

I'll call UPS and see if they can deliver it early haha, maybe I get someone who is not aware that the package has to be held. That be great!

9. rockitdog macrumors 68020

Do you foam at the mouth with excitement as you watch the plane move across the map? o_O

10. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Well, it IS an entertaining way to kill time while waiting for it to get in your hot little hands. ;) Personally, I was kinda disappointed that mine was manufactured in the US last year and I didn't get to track it from China.

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I did in September 2012. It was my very first time through the entire process of preorder and ship of my iPhone 5. That was my very first iPhone purchased brand new from Apple. So, for me it was quite exciting.

12. fieldsphotos macrumors 6502

I think your chances of this happening are better with the carriers or other outlets over Apple. Apple has the whole shipping thing locked down and your package will sit at the UPS or Fed Ex location until its time to go out.

It is still a very rare event, though. And ordering through a carrier has its own risks as they may or may not process the orders first come first served, causing you to end up in a 2nd batch shipment vs getting it on launch day.