In the UK. I've bought a Camcorder from America. . .

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Soundburst, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Soundburst macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

Was wondering if someone could help me. I bought a camcorder recently from the United States of America.

In the box was a british plug adapter with a fuse in it - you are meant to plug the original camcorder power plug into this, and screw it closed creating a british plug.

I've two questions though:

1) Does it matter which stick I plug into where? The american plug has two prongs - does it matter whether they go in the left or right bit of the american adapter?

and 2) If I buy an original UK Samsung power chord can I plug that into the camcorder and do away with the american one, and the adapter and just use the British one or does the Samsung and its battery take in a different watt or volt?

Here are photo's of the plug and stuff :)

http://i55.tinypic.com/2cy2z4o.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/308jd78.jpg

2. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Firstly, read the power adapter, if it says it can handle 110-240 then you'll be over one hurdle.

Secondly, You'd have to do some pretty sketch things to get the UK prongs onto there, it's a sealed unit, so you'll end up trashing your power adapter.

The best route to take would be to get a US to UK travel adapter and plug it in that way.

3. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Definitely get an adapter as long as it says that it is 110-240 volts? It will save the hassle!

4. Soundburst thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi.

That's the adapter that came with the device. :)

The American plug fits into the British plug adapter perfectly. . .but I'm not sure whether it should go in one way, or the other - as it fits in both directions. :(

5. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Ahh that changes things!

I was misinterpreting the question. I assume that the adapter will work either way round.

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Of course it will work, it's designed to fit it. :)

Don't worry about which way round the pins go in, it doesn't matter.

7. Soundburst thread starter macrumors 6502a

8. Soundburst thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah. Ok. :)

Over here we have three pins that are three different functions - and I thought perhaps the two american pins, had to be matched to 2 specific british pins

9. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I'm "over here" too. ;)

Don't worry about the pins, they will be ok whichever way you fit them.

10. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

For the UK plug the top pin is the earth. American and European plugs don’t have this earth feature (At least I don’t think they do)

Also it doesn’t matter which way the pins go round. Think if you were in the US. Would you put the plug a certain way round into the wall?

11. Soundburst thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure, i've never been to the US unfortunately. :(

Thanks for all the help - I had visions of me having a 50:50 chance of putting the pins in wrong and exploding my new camera :D

Thanks a lot. :)

12. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Ahh so you're set! I only looked at the first photo and it looked like they gave you just a loose plug, my bad.

You should be safe to plug it in whichever way, just do the way that seems more secure.