In the UK, Siri's voice is male. Does anyone else dislike that? A male voice I mean.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iFanboy, Jan 8, 2012.

1. iFanboy Guest

I really can't work out what the problem is, but the female voice sounds more comfortable to listen to.

Does anyone else not like a male voice for Siri?

2. kre62 macrumors 68000

Go into siri settings and change it to english US. Problem solved.

3. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

And have less reliability. Fantastic!

4. Lukkee24, Jan 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012

Lukkee24 macrumors 6502

I did find the UK one a little strange at first as well, but after a day or so I got used to it, and now I much prefer the UK one :p.

5. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

I am from Ireland and prefer the US voice but she finds me hard to understand at times, considering trying the UK one (default) to improve reliability.

6. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

What I hate is the voice, not the fact that it's a male. Always use the Australian or American Siri. :)

7. BlizzardBolt macrumors 6502

United States English is miles ahead and better than British English.

Switch to US Eng and you will be fine.

8. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

I've tried. It sucked! British english is far more reliable for me.

Different pronunciations between the two... i.e., mom vs mum, data ( dada vs dayta ) etc etc.

9. salacious macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

I think youl find uk (original) English, is miles ahead .. Not the us version

10. BlizzardBolt macrumors 6502

300 million people would beg to differ. It will be inevitable that British English would eventually be assimilate with US English sometime in the future.
    The meanings are downright bizarre.
    Fag = cigarette..
    Calling Mum for a parent sounds like a mumble, I am somewhat biased because I am from the US but I'm sure that most people would prefer the US english way of interaction.

11. Furifo macrumors 6502

12. BlizzardBolt macrumors 6502

There are people who can distinguish between a British and an Australian voice. By default US English is the standard that is ahead of the other 2.

13. The Game 161 macrumors G4

The Game 161

the aussie voice understands more alot better than the US one does.

14. Zcott macrumors 68020

LOL! Such an American way of looking at the world...

15. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Disagree with what? We are talking about SIRI aren't we?

I'm not getting into the differences between UK and American English - they are differences between each other - so what? People coming from British English will equally find phrases strange in US english.

16. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'm actually in the US but i set it to uk english :D

17. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

That is an understatement.

18. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

A fair number of those 300 million people are Anglophiles and like British accents.

--

As for the male voice, CNN recently had an article that said while most people prefer a female voice, the men in some countries do not.

"One notable exception has been Germany, where BMW was forced to recall a female-voiced navigation system on its 5 Series cars in the late 1990s after being flooded with calls from German men saying they refused to take directions from a woman." - CNN

19. Furifo macrumors 6502

I'm referring to the fact that if you don't want Siri to have a male voice then you could try using the Australian voice. The British accent is closer to the Australian accent than it is to the American accent and hence Siri (AU) may be able to pick up things better than Siri (US) when speaking to her with a British accent.

20. munch2112 macrumors member

Ummmmm......

It's US ENGLISH, it came from England, first spoken in England, not America. You over the pond are just weird, who puts an 'O' in mum?!

21. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

But then it sounds like an Aussie! :eek:

22. Stella, Jan 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2012

Stella macrumors 604

Stella

I want to make it clear that I'm not having a go at you munch2112.... I'm replying to your post because its the last in this thread.

Talk of what version of English is 'better' or why the other sucks is pretty lame.. and belongs in the school yard. If you have learnt one variant of english and now encounter another variant of the english language there will of course be differences, strange differences. As long as you can commicate ( which you can do quite effectively ) its no big deal.

The English language, whatever variant is constantly evolving.

As soon as the hint of "US english is better" came up, I knew exactly where the conversation was ahead.... down hill. fast.

23. openendstraight macrumors regular

openendstraight

Please don't lump us all together. I'm from the US, but have traveled the globe, for the most part. I can't stand most Americans because of the attitude they have about being better than everyone else. It gets annoying when we travel and we speak, then people look at us with disgust because we are American. Lately the wife and I have been speaking Cantonese. My wife's family is from Hong Kong, so in the past 6 years I have picked up enough Cantonese to carry on a conversation.

Now we still get looks, but because of me speaking Chinese instead of me being American.

As for the the topic, I don't think I would like the male voice either.

24. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Actually we still have that debate in the US....I use both just to piss and throw people off ;).

Same goes for EEEther and Eye-Ther (either)