In these tough economic times, have you considered other types of work?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, Mar 27, 2009.

?

What non-dream jobs have you had to settle for in these times?

1. Retail

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Restaurant

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. Hotel/Motel

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. Hard manual labor

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  5. Military

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. Civil Service

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  7. Farming

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Barista :)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. unemployment checks

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  10. Other

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
  1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

We all have dream jobs in mind, and those jobs that are available to pay the bills, but are far from being that dream job.

The times are hard and in some areas, many of us don't have much of a choice.

For many years, I didn't have any education or a special skill like being a plumber or electrician, so I found myself underqualified during the boom times of the 1980s. Then I went to several universities and trade schools and racked up a lot of paper to hang on walls, as well as experience, and now in a very small town during this recession/depression, I find myself overqualified as most jobs, many more than before, are minimum wage or a little more.

That is why I work for myself, out of necessity, but if I had to find an employer in a town of 1800 people, it really sucks being just far enough away from any big city to find good jobs. When I go to the central part of my region, San Jose at 2.5 hours away in traffic, most people there consider anything much to the south of there as either nowhereman's land or tourist traps (which are not booming right now).

Even Starbucks has a hard time where I am at, believe it or not, and the only major company that is not a successful local restaurant to make it here is Hot Topic. Wal-Mart could not make a go of it with two stores, so they have to have just one. In good times, they could have had three stores. In many cities, of course McDonald's is doing well, but in a low population area of the edge of Silicon Valley, they are just treading water.

Much of California is a dead zone if not LA/SD, SF Bay Area, Sacramento/Stockton, or a major central valley hub like Fresno or Bakersfield. This seems to be the case in most states, too. Anyway I hope we get out of this recession soon.

2. JLatte macrumors 6502

Wait, there's other cities in CA other than those? :p

I live in SD so I don't see it as bad as other cities in outer areas from the metropolitan main zones. However, even in the big city, I live right in the center of a very nice community. 5 years ago, the strip mall across the street had a huge thriving business scene. In the past year, ALL of these stores closed: Mervyns, Shoe Pavilion, Blockbuster, Circuit City, Linens & Things, and worst of all the independent coffee shop I used to go to after work for a very long time.

Even right now, all but the coffee shop are sitting as giant empty buildings as nobody wants to lease them out right now in this recession. And this is in a community that is definitly not small. I can only imagine how towns outside of the city are doing right now.

I'm fortunate enough to work at a small web development company as a programmer, and I don't foresee us going under anytime soon, if anything business has actually been doing better. Maybe because more and more companies are pushing their online presence vs the brick and mortar approach.

3. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

You are in what Businessweek, Fortune, and US News and World Report has listed as either the #1 or #2 job in the world. Healthcare, whether it is Malaria ridden Africa, cigarette happy Japan, or an aging and bulging baby boomer base in the USA, needs workers from clerks to surgeons.

As for online, many large and small businesses cannot keep up with manpower costs and rent, so they go online. Universities have gone online, sometimes almost entirely and have done much better for it. A webvan.com type operation here in Northern California (the original was failed and was a great idea before its time) is doing gangbuster business today. The internet has shaken off it's initial failure or dot.bomb and online shopping is a trusted alternative and eBay, Google, and many other businesses can know they will be safe in this economic storm.

4. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Local bay area news talked about a huge increase in applications at strip clubs for pole dancers.

I don't know if this will be the case as much in the Bible Belt. The bay area is perhaps the most socially liberal region in the US.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Of course. The money's good and the hours are short. Makes sense to me.

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I think that falls under number 4 on the poll list:

Hard manual labour…

:D

Indeed. What's not to like?

7. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Well then get to it! They even have clubs where men dance. Yuppie chicks will stick big bills in your undies. :)

8. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I'm actually hoping to use the "time off" to retrain into something I'm more interested in now than I was when I was still a kid in college. I've been making some calls, and I'm waiting to hear back from a few places to decide how to move forward.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

True enough!

Not a whole lot! :)

We discussed this when I visited. Have you decided on any particular direction?

10. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Was hoping for an internship this summer however I'm going to have to settle for waiting tables...which isn't all bad.

11. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

"Events" put a lot of that on hold. Hopefully I should know what direction things are moving in a couple days, just waiting to hear back from some places.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I know you had some things to deal with. I was merely referring to possible areas of interest- or are those up in the air too?

13. bartelby macrumors Core

I have a pretty safe Gov. job. Our dept. had huge layoffs a few years back and most of the work is being relocated from London.
    So I'm not going anywhere at the moment.

I wouldn't say it's a dream job, but I enjoy it.

14. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

These days, at least in smaller cities in the USA, a government job is among the highest paying and also the most secure job. When I got out of uni, I got a government job and a motel job, and the dean was wondering why I didn't go for something bigger.

Of course, this was a time when the economy where I live was in a shambles after another Bush departed the White House. Some of my fellow friends from school hit the big city and they all did better than if they had stayed behind in hicksville.

But when things get better the work around here will get somewhat better, but the cities will be booming. The only problem is will it take five years or ten years? It's certainly not going to happen anytime soon.

Things that seem annoying in a job are not as amplified when there are so many far more qualified without any job. For now, I have to count my lucky stars for what I do have, however little it seems in comparison to more prosperous times.

To look at the bright side, I have way less clutter and I have always hated clutter. :)

15. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

I work at the California Franchise Tax Board now as a permanent employee, so I don't have to worry about a layoff anytime soon, especially given all the silly errors so many people make on their tax forms! :rolleyes:

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Stripping sucks. I've done it before. Dealing with the public is never good.

17. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

That's a little more than with dealing with the public ... if they are annoying, teabag them!:D

teabag? - look up Pecker, a John Waters film

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I know what teabagging is- any gay man does. ;) No- stripping is fun the first few times, then it's just boring/annoying.

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

My industry seems okay but over the last couple of years I have wanted to switch to the medical side of things and aimed to be a GP. I'm 23 so I could still do it, maybe if the economy falls further I might have to give it a crack.

20. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Since the movie, it's a common practice in things from Special Forces, to fraternities, to sports teams. It's a form of hazing. Usually someone is approached from the back while sitting down unaware, like when reading or eating breakfast, and then gets teabagged on the back of the head, while everybody in on it laughs.

In my day, press farts were the thing. But the violator had to do this with precise timing. The fart had to explode right at contact, not a milisecond before or after. Very annoying. I suppose a stripper could press fart disruptive customers. Who knows, when humans evolve to the next step a thousand years from now, it could be a greeting of great honor for dignitaries.

21. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

I've started taking in odd jobs outside of my norm to keep from having to tighten my belt

22. Queso macrumors G4

I had to upgrade a small business's server and desktop machines a few weeks back for the first time in years. Still IT, but all that dealing with end-user software and crawling around behind desks is just so not me any more :D