In this thread we talk about ways of getting an upgrade to a white iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iFiend, Apr 27, 2011.

1. iFiend macrumors 65816

Ok, I am sure that I am not alone in this. Like many of you I wanted a white iPhone 4 and couldn't wait any longer so I bought black. Not willing to sacrifice my warranty to do a color swap I assumed I would never have my chance. Now the time is upon us!

So let's discuss how we can get a white iPhone for as little as possible. Unfortunately a full price upgrade is not in my future. I was thinking that maybe Apple would let you do an out of warranty replacement on an "accidentally broken black iPhone 4" and get a white ;)

Anyone else have any grand ideas?

2. Prolif1k macrumors 6502

Yeah, they wouldn't do that lol....

I'm just selling mine on eBay and buying a white one for full price.

3. iLucas macrumors 6502

I have thought about this as well. I haven't even really decided if i plan to get the white iPhone 4 yet, but if i do i think i would have to pay the contract termination fee for my At&t plan, then buy a new verizon plan + the cost of the phone itself. So far the way i've looked at it, getting a white iPhone 4 isn't going to be cheap, for me.

4. iFiend thread starter macrumors 65816

Hehe I didn't really think they would, hence the ";)"!

I can't really justify spending any money at all on a color change and I know I am not going to get $699.00 for my 32GB black. Think if I put up enough of a stink they'd let me switch? :) I finally bought the bullet and got a black one on 1/30.

5. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

Well....here's what I'll try to do....I'm on a family plan, and my brother is up for an upgrade right now, he is itching to ditch his blackberry and so I will suggest he buy the white iphone now since the iphone 5 will be delayed...and keeping that blackberry POS till September or October could be unbearable!

Then I'll give him my pristine 2 month old black iphone and I get the white! All for a grand total of $0.00.

Of course this all falls apart if he doesn't want my "old" phone or actually wants to keep the white!

It's a worth a try....

Otherwise I seriously would not bother--I can sell my phone for max $400-450, which sets me back anywhere from 150-200 bucks, for the same phone I got 2 months ago. I love the white, but that's not worth it. Unless of course you have money to burn....which I don't.

6. iFiend, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2011

iFiend thread starter macrumors 65816

Yep no additional money to burn for me. There just has to be a way of getting white without spending any $

I know some of you have schemed a perfect way of upgrading. Spill it!

7. thercanbeonly1 macrumors newbie

Easiest and cheapest way of getting the white iPhone depends on two things, Radioshack having it in stock and You being eligible for early upgrade. Early upgrade price for the iPhone 4 is 399.99 and 499.99 for the 16 and 32 respectively. Now the good thing about Radioshack is that they have a trade in program for mobile phones so u get about 283 for the 16 and 333 for the 32. Which u can then use towards iPhone 4 white. If ur trading a 3GS it's 200 max regardless of size.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree it's not worth it just for a color change.

9. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

Apple generally doesn't allow color swaps with replacement phones, but considering the delay, they may allow it this time around. Its always worth a shot

10. iFiend thread starter macrumors 65816

11. cas85 macrumors regular

must be nice to have the money to undertake this just b/c you want a white one instead.

i'm not hating, more power to you guys and to each his own.

12. iFiend thread starter macrumors 65816

Did I forget to mention I originally bought a 16, sold it on eBay for a buttload, and then bought a 32 for $399 because I wanted the extra storage? Yeah, I blew it big time (but got my black 32 for free)

13. Abducted macrumors newbie

Generally? As far as I know, they never have. I will eat my hat if someone can achieve this.

14. iFiend thread starter macrumors 65816

Well you should be munching on your Kangol then because I'm certain you've not been privy to every swap in iPhone history :) I'm sure it has happened at some point!

15. Webecinya macrumors newbie

If your plan is to dump your phone on ebay/craigslist you better do it soon as I type the value of the black models are being adjusted. Some of you may disagree that the black one will hold value, but as soon as some desperate fool starts acting on impulse and dumps his/her black one for $200 or something really low, the value bar is reset.

16. Abducted macrumors newbie

Touché, but I would think the Genius Bar's policy would not allow this! Either way let me find a hat I can eat, only because of a technicality. ;)

17. iFiend thread starter macrumors 65816

LMAO...at least you're a man of his word :) But yeah I'm certain that it isn't policy to let it happen. But maybe there are a few kind (read: stupid) geniuses out there!

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Sorry, OP but your best bet is to sell your current iPhone and use the proceeds to buy the white iPhone. Otherwise, keep enjoying your black one.

19. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Fixed that for you.

20. iFiend thread starter macrumors 65816

Just because you're not interested in a white iPhone 4 doesn't give you the right to rain on our parade. Take your negative junk elsewhere, please :rolleyes:

21. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

Apple isn't going to let you have one for less than full price unless you have an upgrade.

22. iFiend thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks captain obvi :)

23. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

If that's obvious, I guess there's no point in the thread, huh?

So, we have an answer: short of being eligible for an upgrade the only (legit) way to get a white iPhone 4 on the cheap is to sell your black one and then use that to defray the cost of buying a white.

I wanted a white two when they came out, but frankly, it's not worth the hassle for me to do all that. I'll just wait for the iPhone 4S/5/whatever the hell the next one will be called.

24. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Whether I want a white iPhone is immaterial.
    You made a decision to purchase a black iPhone, knowing you wanted the white.
    Now you are trying to find ways to dishonestly game the system.
    Who's being negative?