In Trumpworld, Fridays are for Firing. Bye Rex!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Solomani, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

2. Zenithal macrumors 604

Apparently Mnuchin is thinking of resigning, too. Mattis, too. Swinging back to Mnuchin, I don't think him leaving would devastate Americans.

3. jerwin macrumors 68020

https://www.buzzfeed.com/johnhudson/tillerson?utm_term=.rx5oYZPq65#.kv5lKbv4Xn

One US official expressed confidence in Tillerson's status due to a so-called "suicide pact" forged between Defense Secretary James Mattis, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, and Tillerson, whereby all three cabinet secretaries vow to leave in the event that the president makes moves against one of them.

I think mnuchin is the weak link here.

4. Zenithal macrumors 604

Mentally or competence?

5. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I would tend to doubt whether that "suicide pact" would ever come to pass. Because in so doing, those three men would throw the United States military, foreign policy, and financial apparatus into a simultaneous state of chaos and disrepute. It might be personally difficult for each individual to continue to work with Trump as President, but I'd like to think those men would put their duty to their country over the personal antagonism they feel for Trump.

And that's the problem with electing somebody like Trump as President. A problem foreseen by many people, including myself, in the run-up to the election. Trump had precisely zero experience working in the Government, in the military, or even in a large corporate business.

And that shows with his disgraceful behavior as President. He constantly ambushes and sideswipes the people who are serving in important parts of the US Government. Trump simply doesn't understand: Cabinet Secretaries work for the American people, not Donald J. Trump. The President gets to nominate and appoint them, but their role is to serve the interests of the nation and its people. Not the person who occupies the Oval Office.

6. Solomani thread starter macrumors 68040

Solomani

Neither. Mnuchin knows exactly what he's doing. Mnuchin is the poster child for Wall Street greed, he is one of those "robber barons", a word coined since the start of the Industrial Revolution synonymous with corporate greed. In other words, people like him (and Madoff) are the ones that give Capitalism a really bad reputation.

See how he's working hard to help form a Tax Plan that would mostly benefit the upper income wealthiest Americans. And even as some GOP politicians have already stated (those that have already viewed the plan in early stages), why the hell is this proposed tax plan not focusing on the Middle Class? The middle class are the ones that form the bulk of the productive tax-paying work force, the ones that (as a combined group) contribute the most to the tax revenue of the nation.

P.S. — never heard about the trio suicide pact.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 7, 2017 ---
    And P.S. — I actually have no contempt for Rex Tillerson. I still think he was a poor choice for the job, inexperienced in the role of top diplomat. But since his appointment, he's acted like a responsible adult (unlike his boss Trump), and Tillerson is doing his best in light of a difficult assignment (where his own boss sabotages his work every other day).

So there, I actually do wish Mr. Tillerson the best, because it seems that he has acted (so far) in the best interest of the American Nation, rather than in the interests of his boss. And this is the reason why Rex Tillerson will be evicted from the Trump Cabinet. Because he is more loyal to the American People than he is loyal to Donald Trump.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Fridays over and Rex isn't fired so can we fire you instead and wasteland this thread?

8. Solomani thread starter macrumors 68040

Solomani

There is next Friday and the Friday after that

9. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Draining the swamp? Like, the Everglades. Not his billionaire friends,

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Yeh, one of those Fridays the left might figure out that they need more than to be critical of Trump to win the next election. If the economy is doing well, "not Trump" isn't going to be enough.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 7, 2017 ---
    Media is doubling down on the moron thing because it gets eyeballs. They state they have a dozen sources, none of which are named. At least one person should have the balls to put their name on the statement and quit the administration.

11. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

The two private companies I’ve worked for terminated lots of people on Fridays. September 8th was a bloodbath.

12. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

But, but, Sarah Huckabee Sanders said that Trump is the one who is keeping the country from chaos.

13. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I agree. This thread is wasteland material :).

14. webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

Well, you were still wrong.

Off to listen to some Animotion.

15. Solomani thread starter macrumors 68040

Solomani

And this week…. we have POTUS claiming he's smarter than Rex. lol

I suppose POTUS will fire Rex after all, just because POTUS is afraid that someone just might beat him in an IQ test.

16. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

He is a moron and it doesn't take sources other than just watching him to know that.

17. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

If the economy is doing well by next election, it will help Congress keep their seats. If Trump is still in office in 2020, I will eat a piece of paper with this post printed on it...

Why should we hope to see a resignation from any of those who witnessed one of their number speaking what most of them have probably thought at least a few times? Now if there were people in that meeting who think Trump's a genius and who therefore believe Tillerson thoroughly exaggerated when he made his remark, then they're a part of this country's ongoing problems with the current federal government. I wouldn't mind seeing any of such believers quit, with or without affirming they heard Tillerson say whatever he said.

It's still okay to say the emperor is not wearing any clothes if you see him walk the halls buck naked. If that comes out wrong and sounds like someone instead remarked that the emperor's some kind of moron, well... no one's ad hoc speeches always remain politically correct, but more importantly, such a moment of human frailty doesn't put clothes back on the emperor. And that is why the press was able to collect enough anonymous sources to vouch for the quote and so warrant its publication.

Don't we think that the press would also have collected anonymous (or otherwise) quotes describing some mass eruption of incredulity and on the spot shaming of Tillerson in that room after he said whatever he said? Right, and so that didn't happen. At best some people in the room probably figured hey better you say it than me. After all there is certain deference paid to any cabinet officer and if you disagree with some outré remark he passes, you're probably going to take it up with him privately. Remaining silent could be seen as politically correct or as assent. Pick one. And... who's going to the press with someone else's silence? Do you really want to be vouching for the fact that no one objected to Tillerson's remark?

Trump's campaign about making America great again included from the get-go his assertion that political correctness was a part of our nation's problem. He was forever claiming to be just telling it like it was. So whoever takes Tillerson to task for having said out loud in a moment of exasperation what plenty of voters and congress critters and administrative agency officials have long since concluded, well they are on the wrong side of Trump's own campaign history.

Of course it's not sane to go on the record to the press that you heard some other high level staff member call the President of the USA some kind of moron. Not unless you want an excuse to reveal that you've lined up another job, which you probably have by now if you're working in Trump's administration.

Tillerson is hardly a seasoned diplomat and has obviously been short of regional State Department expertise he could have used considering some of the pots Trump has stirred. Still he knows how to conduct himself with counterparts around the world, thanks to his long experience negotiating at high levels with foreign governments on behalf of Exxon. We could have done worse, considering how terrible Trump himself has been on the international scene.

As for Tillerson's outlook, it's not like he ever wanted the SoS post and it's not like he hasn't wanted to put it in the rear view for awhile now anyway. He serves at the pleasure of the President, but most probably at the weary insistence of a few other caretakers of this administration, e.g, Kelly, Mattis. Tillerson himself could not care less if his last day is any Friday that Trump feels like proving he's a moron by firing a Secretary of State who's been serving as one of the few linchpins of this unstable government.

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

You think Trump won't be in office in 2020? Nothing is coming out of those investigations and there's no way in hell Trump backs down/resigns. At best you could get him to drop for re-election or actually beat him with a reasonable candidate, but from the looks of it Hillary is gearing up for another run.

I find it appalling that no one will put their name to these statements. It's not against the law to pass on that Tillerson thinks he's a moron so they should grow some balls.

I don't really even care if he did call him a moron, **** happens. I've called my friends idiots from time to time.

19. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

That would be the best news for conservatives and I would think Dems would cringe at the thought.