In what ways do you use storage differently on iOS versus Mac?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PDFierro, Sep 19, 2013.

1. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I'm still struggling to decide between 32 and 64 as my storage option for the 5s. I have a 256GB SSD on the Mac, and to me that is the sweet spot. I'm thinking 32GB is the sweet spot for iOS.

I'm jumping into the iOS world, so I have never had an iPhone before, although I am very familiar with how they work as I am up-to-date on all things Apple.

In various threads on here, I see that the majority go with 32, although there are the 64GB buyers. So, how does your usage differ from iOS versus Mac?

Obviously, apps and everything else are way smaller. And not all of us have unlimited data. I'm somewhat of a minimalist and don't like having clutter on my devices, so I am strongly leaning towards the 32 at this point.

However, I plan to use the camera heavily as I will be doing lots of travelling. But even then, I'm sure 32 would be enough as you're never away from WiFi for that long. It's videos that take up the most space, not pictures. I'm glad to see things like iTunes Movies in the Cloud are on iOS now, so you can stream movies and the like over WiFi instead of having to download. Just like on the Mac.

Does anyone go with 64GB just to have all that free space? Are you the opposite with storage when it comes to the Mac? Or do you legitimately need all that storage? I'm just curious if 32 is indeed the sweet spot like I think it is.

I know 16 would be way too little, but is 32 just right for most of you?

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I always go with the most I can because once you choose, that's it. So, my iPhone 5 is 64GB. If I had a 32GB iPhone I would have been looking to toss stuff out already because right now I have 32GB left. Of course, I have over 18GB of video on my phone (Honeymooner episodes to watch when waiting).

In any case, better to much than not enough is the way I look at it. And for me, I waited from 2007 to 2012 for Sprint to get the iPhone I wanted so there was NO way in heck I was walking away with a 16 or 32GB iPhone after waiting that long.

I am the same way with my Macs. As much as I can stick in there.

P.S. I have a coworker that just recently chose the 16GB iPhone 5. She's got over 10.5GB of music on her iPhone and combined with a bunch of apps she's got about 484MB left total. And she's asking me why Software Update won't let her install iOS7!

3. PDFierro thread starter macrumors 68040

That's true about only being able to choose once, versus where on a laptop you can upgrade whenever you want. I guess the thing is that it seems with 32GB, I can store a couple movies and other stuff and still have plenty of space for other stuff.

But I'm still interested in hearing other opinions.

4. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I have a 256GB MacBook Air and a 16GB iPhone.

I don't play games on my iPhone anymore and usually remove old songs that I don't listen to anymore so I haven't had much trouble managing the iPhone's space.

I have reached capacity on my MacBook Air though but cleared out 120GB of stuff recently.

5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Ur IOS storage need is directly predicated on your iTunes library size. U can get an estimate of ur iTunes library size by making a pretend backup of all ur media u intent to move to the iPhone. But 32G for a first timer is cool.