In your opinion, is the Apple Store the mark of a good mall?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by c073186, May 2, 2008.

1. c073186 macrumors 6502a

Do you ever find yourself looking at the directory in a mall... and the first thing you check is if it has an Apple store? For some reason I do this and when I see there is an Apple store, I just think "okay this must be a decent facility." But then when there is not an Apple store I think "I guess it can't be that great..."

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Well, Apple Stores tend to get put in high foot-traffic/relatively high-income areas, so... :eek:

3. c073186 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good point. But I have been to some places that I thought were very high-end and lacked an Apple store. But maybe there was another nearby establishment that had an Apple store that I was unaware of.

4. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

considering I don't think much of The Apple Store to begin with; I'd say no.

5. Phillyzero macrumors regular

Phillyzero

There are no Apple Stores where I live, so I can't say that it's the first thing I look for...I usually just go to the mall if I feel like it.

6. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

In a pro-apple stance, I would say, Yes. It would be nice to have one in my area, and not an hour away in a crowded city. I like small towns :p

As a new convert to apple, I would like to see a full blown store near, but can settle for a authorized reseller that is close.

7. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

They do only seem to pop up in good places in the UK... so I'd say yes.

8. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

The mall our Apple Store is in isn't exactly great, I mean it's pretty outdoorsy, with a lot of seperate buildings, but it's obviously for the super rich.

9. c073186 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well actually the Apple store nearest to me just opened last summer (45 minutes away). Before that it was quite a ways away. I was pretty shocked when I was in the mall and saw the big "Coming Soon" with an Apple logo on the store front.

10. bbbensen macrumors 6502

Maui doesnt have an Apple store. :(

I only go to one mall, and it has mostly all the store that I need, such as AE (Jeans, collared shirts for school), HotTopic (Awesome shirts), and some other places. I only go when I need something, or to see a movie at the sub-par theater.

11. aethelbert macrumors 601

I've gotta say no. In Indianapolis, there is one nice mall downtown and one okay one with high-price stores on the north side near the wealthier suburbs. The Apple Store is on the north side but I honestly must say that the downtown mall is much nicer. However, they follow the money.

In Munich, the Apple store that is coming isn't even in a mall. It's gonna be a brand new, freestanding building which should be interesting.

12. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

Well, we got out Apple Store maybe 2 years ago when the Summit Sierra Mall opened up. I have to say that the mall has some pretty expensive stores and I absolutely love the apple store.

Attached Files:

13. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Our best mall (Roosevelt Feild) has one and its the only mall with one. I guess thats why its the best.

14. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

yeah i agree. the best malls around here have an apple store. and its usually a big city or right on the outskirts.

15. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

No, my local Apple Store was placed in the mall from Hell. ...They had many other alternative options, of which they definitely should have picked.

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Not in the least. But they are in malls in ares where the average income appears to be higher. I stress the word appears.

17. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The Fashion Mall is a million miles away from me. It'd be much better off in Circle Centre.

18. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

I've only been to the one in Crossgates Mall near Albany, NY. It was last June 29th, iPhone sales day one! So the place could have been a pretzel stand and I wouldn't have cared as long as I got my iPhone.

It didn't seem like a very big store. All I remember about the mall itself was that I happened to park at the opposite end of the structure relative to the Apple Store's location, so it was a nice long hike through a rather unimpressive ground level of the place.

I do remember passing a Verizon kiosk populated by two depressed-looking clerks watching a stream of people walking by with their iPhone bags....

19. NightFlight macrumors 6502

NightFlight

I would say yes.

In my area there are two Apple stores within 15 minutes. Fair Oaks mall and Tysons Corner, both of which are very nice malls.

20. Annndy! macrumors regular

Annndy!

Tyson's Corner, Annapolis and Columbia here. All very high-income areas.

21. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Apple stores don't always come to good malls. They like to reside in cool, hip, up and coming areas. We are getting one in Maine and only recently have higher end stores come to this location.

22. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Not quite - I check the directory in the Mall, and if there isn't an Apple store I try not to let my wife drag me around it ;)

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Apple Store ===> Posh Mall

but Posh Mall =X=> Apple Store.

For example the Royal Exchange building doesn't have an Apple store, but it does have more than enough diamond stores to make it posh.

24. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I want the growth of these stores to stop. It just dilutes the brand, which makes it Starbucks bland, hopelessly uncool, and not special. They'll be the Abercrombie and Fitch of computer companies (except Apple makes nice stuff). Once you go mainstream, you run the real risk of being uncool, even if your products and philosophy hasn't changed.

I have only been to 4 Apple Stores, and all were in Japan. I'll go to a 5th one once the store opens in Sydney.

And my answer to the question is "No", an Apple store doesn't make a shopping mall "good". For me, a variety of good products that sell things at decent prices (not necessarily cheap) makes a mall worth going to. I stop going once it gets too high-end, and full of shops that sell a pair of trousers for $100 or more. I'm willing to pay money for things that require it (I just bought a pair of dressy trousers for $120 on the weekend), but not for clothing that's supposed to be casual and simple.

25. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

for the most part they are put in more upscale malls...ie natick mall after they re-did it and put half million dollar condos in there and all the ritz stores and then renamed it to the natick collection but then you take the Chestnut hill store (which does have bloomingdales) but what else is there so its a toss up IMO