Inactivity kills more than obesity

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, Jan 17, 2015.

1. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Like the thread about working hours -- this is a health issue with political ramifications. A lot of people have sedentary jobs now, and, combined with a sedentary after-work life, the result can be a disaster for health.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-30812439

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I just added a pool pass to my normal gym membership (which I use regularly) for the next semester.

I'm set.

Let's move.

3. jnpy!$4g3cwk, Jan 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2015

jnpy!$4g3cwk thread starter macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I just read the paper. The key results are that even a little activity is better than no activity, though more is better, at least to the moderate activity level, across all BMIs, waist sizes, &etc. e.g. :

(PA = Physical Activity)

http://static.tv2.no/s/files/2015/01/14/About%20the%20European%20Prospective%20Investigation%20into%20Cancer%20and%20Nutrition%20(EPIC)%20Study.pdf

People may find this study encouraging -- even small increases in activity help. It is not the case that you have to be doing triathlons in order to see benefits.

So, yes -- let's move.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

5. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

6. luvmymbpr macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

I believe this. I have worked with 110lb females that claimed they had high blood pressure and high cholesterol. They never did a single minute of exercise.

I also worked with one thin person that couldn't walk up one flight of stairs without being winded. It's rather amusing to see.

7. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Getting the right types of physical activity is important as well. Standing on a treadmill for 15 minutes reading an iPad doesn't count.

8. jnpy!$4g3cwk thread starter macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Care to elaborate?

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Sure it does ... if you do it consistently.

It's not a complete workout, but there is some benefit.

10. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

This appears to be a correlational study, and of course one explanation is that ill people feel less inclined to exercise because they feel unwell. It would be no surprise if unwell people died earlier, even if their medical problems were sub-clinical at the first point the researchers assessed their health.

That being said, I generally make my 10,000 steps a day unless the weather is crap or I am feeling ill (as in the hospital). I don't care if it extends my life. It makes me feel better.

In the UK we spend a lot of money on the National Health Service, yet local councils charge for using their sporting facilities. Perhaps it's time to make them free at the point of delivery...

11. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Does lifting weights at home for a couple hours count? I would run but I would need a gym membership in the minnesota winter.

12. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

He may be working off stress, but that jackass needs to keep his hands on the wheel just like anyone else.

13. luvmymbpr macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

He's a cop, so laws don't apply. On any given day, you'll find cops doing 20 over on a highway while illegally talking on a cell phone.

14. oddnendz macrumors 6502

oddnendz

Did you ever think that the women may have a genetic propensity for high blood pressure and high cholesterol or an underlying medical condition they aren't sharing with you? The person who can't walk up one flight of stars without being winded could have asthma?

It is not amusing to me..

15. luvmymbpr macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

Sure that crossed my mind. However, the 1st person ate sticks of butter and McDonalds every day, and the 2nd person did not have Asthma. They were my coworkers, and I was around them almost every hour of every work day.

16. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

As always: Eat right, exercise regularly, die anyway.

So what if you live to be 120? Have you seen people over 80? Yuck.

If you could live that long with the physique of a 30-year-old, it would be worth worrying about how you get there. But all the warnings about cigarettes, too much fat, not enough exercise are intended to add what, a decade or so to your life?

In the words of Denis Leary, "It's the ten worst years, isn't it folks? It's the ones at the end! It's the wheelchair, kidney dialysis, adult diaper years. You can have those years! We don't want 'em, alright?"

17. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

That is a reason to get proper exercise. The less you get the poorer your quality of life toward the end. Not absolutely true, but if I can avoid being wheeled around in walmart cart, I'll do it.

18. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

having to undergo kidney dialysis is not a normal part of aging. smoking has long been known to increase the risk of lung and mouth cancer as well as right heart failure and a slew of other conditions. the choices you make to put things into your body have consequences. if people take care what they eat+exercise they can still be productive, even at 80 years old.

i don't get the concept of "die anyway" it's the quality of life thats under consideration here

19. Meister Suspended

Meister

I got a Jawbone fitness tracker for christmas and I am trying to set my moving and sleeping goals lower, not higher. It seems to be made for people who want to sleep more and move more. I want to move much less and sleep less.
    Anyone know how to adjust that thing that way?

20. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Absolutely. Be sure to include core exercises and look into a folding treadmill. I bought one and get in 35-45 minutes a day (interval training), plus weight training and core exercises. Since last May I've dropped about 30 pounds, now wear size 8 Vera Wang skinny jeans and am more fit than I was 15 years ago.

And don't forget to eat fresh and simply. No junk foods.