Inappropriate use of candidates in local advertising?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Aug 9, 2016.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

This was on my FB feed. A chinese restaurant here in NYC. Clearly pandering to those anti-Trump. But is the (white meat only) snark based on the fact he's been called a racist... or are they simply describing the dish? I'll point out that I'm not in favor of businesses running ads that promote violence. It caught my eye - but I think it's inappropriate. Do you think it's appropriate (no matter who it's aimed towards) for businesses to use this type of imagery?

[​IMG]

2. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

It seems no more or less racist than anything other Americans made in 1942 involving whites making imagery of nonwhites. Nice to see nothing has changed, but just to make sure it's only wrong when whites do it, right? Or is it wrong when everyone does it, but when one from one group does it it's wrong when someone else uses their own mindset? I'd think it's wrong regardless, but there are millions who'd probably disagree.

In terms of strict culinary preparation, fowl have meat of varying textures and colors. White is said to be the tastiest and most expensive, and has nothing to do with human races.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

4. Robisan macrumors 6502

Are they selling T-shirts with that on them? I want.

5. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Since when are Asians considered whites?

Actually, dark meat has more flavor though. Well known fact.

6. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Businesses should be able to post anything they want. They shouldn't complain if sales drop.

7. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Upper west side it's probably a good bet not too many Trump fans. imo it's pretty funny. I was a kid in the 1940s and some of the cartoons back then were pretty violent. When they started making movies like that with real people in them, I was less a fan... I'm literal minded I guess. It's just like a cartoon to me, not a real Asian chasing after the Orange Fowl with a cleaver.

8. vrDrew macrumors 65816

It's not making fun of Donald Trump because he's white.

It's making fun of Donald Trump because he's orange. And because Mr.-Get-Out-Of-Vietnam-because-bone-spurs is also a chicken.

Asking whether or not the advertisement is "appropriate" is pretty much meaningless in a country with a strong tradition of free speech.