Inauguration has started.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yaxomoxay, Jan 19, 2017.

1. yaxomoxay, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017

yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

In respect of all the people of the world that gave their life for freedom, I'd like to keep this thread clean.

The first event of the Inauguration has now happened, the laying of the wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Arlington, VA.
    I hope that at this moment President Trump understood the full weight of the office he's going to take, with all its burdens and laurels. I hope that this short, yet somber ceremony shall always be in his heart and will guide him in his choices.

At the same time, I'd like to thank President Obama. I had my agreements and disagreements with him, but I do respect that he decided to volunteer for the toughest office on Earth, becoming the subject of the most insane public scrutiny. I do wish him and his family well, and I do hope that he actually tried to make choices in good conscience.

I also wish a better future for all Americans, independently of how you voted in November.
    I also thank all the veterans and their families.

[​IMG]

2. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

The Tomb of the Unknowns is awe inspiring place to visit.

3. Altis macrumors 68020

Well said.

My best wishes to my neighbours to the South, as well.

Though many would like to see their political opponents fail, I hope we can all come together and try to improve conditions for everyone.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

It is very humbling.

5. macmee Suspended

macmee

SAD!

(I am embracing my inner trump)

6. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Toby Keith "we'll put a boot in your ass; it's the American Way!" Courtesty of the Red White and Blue!

7. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Probably the first time he was ever there. Just like he never visited the 9/11 memorial until a few days before the New York primary. He tends not to do some things until he is forced to sad to say.

8. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Kind of like obama and "Revrend" Wright. He stood by that racist hate lecturer until he absolutely was forced to distance himself.

9. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Maybe, maybe not.
    Can we at least hope - and be positive - just on this post and hope that somehow it made him think about his responsibilities ?

10. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Introspection doesn't seem to be his strong suit.

11. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

If we had any respect for those who gave their lives for our freedom, that man would not be elevated to the office of President.

I appreciate the sentiment of others, but any other GOP or Democratic candidate would make this moment a meaningful one.

12. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

13. samcraig macrumors P6

I can ALMOST imagine him interrupting his swearing in ceremony to tweet "Just one second.. need my bible hand to tweet."

14. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

So can I… It is not beyond the realms of possibility.

Though I suspect, like a parent confiscating a toy from a child, someone probably has made sure the phone is not on him.

15. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Damn you are one bitter human being. It's pretty sad how petty you sound my friend. I mean really lol

16. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

It is a great day to be a Real American!

17. samcraig macrumors P6

How do you define a fake American?

18. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Really nice weather in the region today. Meanwhile, the west coast is getting battered with storms.

19. Huntn, Jan 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2017

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Clean as in don't criticize or only say nice things, or just observe the proceedings without expressing any substantive opinions about President Trump good or bad? If you are going to allow fawning, to be fair, you have to allow contrary views. :)

20. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

The Real Americans won't be burning American flags or wishing that Trump would get shot.

21. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Clean as don't insult each other, and don't diminish other's views, be them positive or negative about Obama/Trump. Contrary views - respectful - are absolutely welcome as those men died precisely to allow them. I just humbly ask for common sense respect at least on this thread.

22. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

It's going to be a lovely day for President Obama's last day in office. He deserves it. I'm headed to the beach to release some pressure. :)

23. samcraig macrumors P6

That's your definition? Sure. That's exactly what makes someone a real American or not. Especially the burning flag criteria.

24. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

As I mentioned on my first post, I do wish him and his family well and I am sure that he will enjoy some relaxation which he - as anyone else in a stressful job - certainly deserves.
    Enjoy the beach!

25. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Burning the American flag is the only approved method of destroying it.