Incase Neoprene Sleeve - Checkpoint Friendly? Stories, horror or not?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by macalacka, Nov 13, 2008.

1. macalacka macrumors newbie

I just found out (about 3 months late) that TSA now allows certain types of bags/sleeves through security without having to remove them from said bags/sleeves.

Im wondering if anyone using these incase sleeves have had problems? The zippers don't interfere with the xray and there's no pockets or other compartments to account for. I've tried asking incase with no response :(

Hope it passes, other wise i need to look elsewhere...

2. jaredtomas macrumors regular

jaredtomas

3. jqc macrumors regular

I always leave my MBP in its neoprene sleeve when putting it thorugh security, never a problem...

4. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

they're supposed to be fine. I haven't had occasion to test that theory though

5. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

The rule is that notebook computers cannot be obscured or blocked from X-rays by any other objects, so slipcases are fine because they usually don't contain anything else but the laptop. I have only had to remove my Sony notebook once from a slipcase in Washington, DC, but that was probably because of some deluded bureaucrat. :rolleyes:

6. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

Kind of unrelated

Does anyone know how protective the Neo Incase sleeves are.... so if I dropped it, would it be good? Thanks

7. macalacka thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats great, im happy to hear that it should be alright.

On a related note, if i have my shaggymac key liner on, will is obscure the picture? Im 99% sure the things not made of lead but i don't want to give them any reason to take it out ( that didnt sound dirty at all ):)

8. alex.m90 macrumors member

Hasn't got much to do with x-rays but I have an incase neoprene sleeve, and i dropped my macbook unibody down 3 steps and the screen got well messed up, i would of expected it to survive that especially in a case, but oh well.

I dont know if this is a horror story or just quite bad
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=600456

9. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Last time, I had a check point friendly sleeve but had to take it out anyway.

10. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Twice this month they made me take out mine and it is in a sleeve that is checkpoint friendly. Hell, the Macbook is tight as anything in there and nothing can fit in there besides the Macbook (no zippers--it has velcro--plus it has a clear plastic window to show the Apple on the Macbook). It doesn't have pockets on the outside either. It is the MacCase one. I understand taking it out of my messenger bag, but not the sleeve. Oh well. I flew a flew days ago and before I got to the checkpoint I just had it out. It is just easier for me that way now.

11. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

The results would not be pretty. The Incase sleeves aren't designed to protect your laptop from a drop, but to protect it when INSIDE another case.

12. jhu2 macrumors member

well this past summer, i went from chicago to disney world, las vegas, and la (not all in one trip) and they never had me take it out of my incase sleeve. I had a screensaver in it too. However, i did have to take it out of my back pack, put the macbook by its self in a bin. My girlfriend used the radtech sleez and they didn't make her take it out either. I was worry they would rub it with something. Good thing they didn't.

13. D.M.S macrumors member

airport security are so dumb they wouldn't know or care they'd just drag their knuckles on the ground and say take it out.

14. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

:D

15. Italchef macrumors 6502

I have one that I love but you wouldn't want to drop it. It's a great sleeve for scuff and scrape protection but being a soft case it's not going to help much if your lappy takes a dive. I have the sleeve inside a Crumpler shoulder bag. I'm comfortable with this combination.
    Mick

16. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

How would any computer sleeve, checkpoint friendly or not, be the source of a horror story? :confused:

17. macalacka thread starter macrumors newbie

My buddy tried to put his MB on his case, within the bin and had TSA yank it out and flip it within the bin. Scratched up the top pretty bad. It's actually still ongoing with TSA. All agents are different. Some will ask, some wont.

Im not trying to be too anal about my computer, but i try to take care of it as best i can. That usually means keeping it away from other people who aren't me.... like TSA, my wife, etc :D

As long as TSA asks ME to take it out of its case, so be it. If they don't think a checkpoint friendly bag is "friendly" enough i have no say in the matter. The badge has the power sadly, and i need to travel.

Still within it's case though right?

18. macalacka thread starter macrumors newbie

My buddy tried to put his MB on his case, within the bin and had TSA yank it out and flip it within the bin. Scratched up the top pretty bad. It's actually still ongoing with TSA. All agents are different. Some will ask, some wont.

Im not trying to be too anal about my computer, but i try to take care of it as best i can. That usually means keeping it away from other people who aren't me.... like TSA, my wife, etc

As long as TSA asks ME to take it out of its case, so be it. If they don't think a checkpoint friendly bag is "friendly" enough i have no say in the matter. The badge has the power sadly, and i need to travel.

Still within it's case though right?

19. macalacka thread starter macrumors newbie

oops, sorry..double post

i have no clue how to get rid of it though...

20. jhu2 macrumors member

Yup still in the incase sleeve

I guess it depends on the airport. ORD, LAS, and LAX are really busy airports and the TSA doesn't have a chance to really hold people up to inspect every little detail.