Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amitdoc2b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
I wanted a slim messenger bag for my new MacBook Air that also has a stylish color. I didn't want the typical black.. what do you guys think of this Incase Sling? And how nicely does an MBA fit in it? It looks like its designed for the MBP so I am afraid it may be wobbly.

I'm not too sure about the exterior Taupe color, but I like the internal blue color of it. Unfortunately this is the only sling of theirs that had a solid blue color associated with it, the other closest I found was a pebble/aqua color that seemed a bit too light and feminine. What do you guys think? Or any other suggestions besides this one?

And if anyone knows, is this an older color from their line or one of the newer released ones? Not sure when their product update cycle is, but if they are about to release new colors maybe they will incorporate another solid blue option in their lineup and I could hold off and wait a few more weeks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-08-21 at 10.45.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-08-21 at 10.45.08 AM.png
    124.7 KB · Views: 173
  • Screen Shot 2011-08-21 at 10.45.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-08-21 at 10.45.22 AM.png
    118.4 KB · Views: 110
  • Screen Shot 2011-08-21 at 10.46.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-08-21 at 10.46.23 AM.png
    168.3 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

kwajkat

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
I use a Tacano slim case in tile blue. Have the matching ipad case as well. Every good quality and well protected.

Rynology

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
amitdoc2b, I am contemplating the identical bag and have the exact same questions. I also derived at this style for the same reasons you did, like the blue, unsure about the taupe but this seems like the best of color combo of the bunch.

I read on another post somewhere that a couple users purchased this bag for their 13-inch airs and that it fit nicely with the plush lining and they really liked it even though it is designed for the pro width.

I think I am going to give it a go.

I was super surprised at the lack of bag options for the 13-inch. The 11-inch on the other hand has plenty of tailored options. Want something with a strap like this that I can tote around my air + power cord, something minimal that takes advantage of the form factor. This seems like it may be best bet.

Also, looked at the Booq Viper but it doesn't have a strap and would need to be put in a bag of some sort when traveling anyways.

http://www.booqbags.com/laptop-back...-macbook-air-bags/Viper-hardcase-13-black-red

Let me know how your decision making goes.

amitdoc2b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
amitdoc2b, I am contemplating the identical bag and have the exact same questions. I also derived at this style for the same reasons you did, like the blue, unsure about the taupe but this seems like the best of color combo of the bunch.

I read on another post somewhere that a couple users purchased this bag for their 13-inch airs and that it fit nicely with the plush lining and they really liked it even though it is designed for the pro width.

I think I am going to give it a go.

I was super surprised at the lack of bag options for the 13-inch. The 11-inch on the other hand has plenty of tailored options. Want something with a strap like this that I can tote around my air + power cord, something minimal that takes advantage of the form factor. This seems like it may be best bet.

Also, looked at the Booq Viper but it doesn't have a strap and would need to be put in a bag of some sort when traveling anyways.

http://www.booqbags.com/laptop-back...-macbook-air-bags/Viper-hardcase-13-black-red

Let me know how your decision making goes.

I think I'll go ahead and give it a go. It has a 30 day return policy anyways, but probably will purchase from another store because of free shipping and no tax. Thinking about getting it from outfitYOURS.com - it looks like a fairly new online store that was made in 2010, but seems legit from their Facebook page. Anyone have any experience with them?

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Website looks legit to me. If you are ever worried about an American based website just look them up on BBB.

Incase makes good products but they are often overpriced IMO. You can find equal quality in lesser known competitors. You just need to shop around.

Booq is amazing. Pricey but their quality is top notch.

Just an FYI: I snagged a nice Incase nylon bag (similar to the one pictured) from Best Buy online for $10. This was 4 years ago when I had a 15" MBP. I would do some research before you plunk down full price for something.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I bought that case last November for my 2010 MBA 13", and I've enjoyed it: it's nice and plush inside and comfortable to carry, and it does a good job of protecting the MBA. I ordered an STM Scout Small Laptop Shoulder bag (in black) from Amazon last night because it'll carry my MBA and my iPad. Here's a link for the Olive model (out of stock temporarily):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

rmcnelly

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
Portsmouth, VA
I bought the Incase Nylon Sling at the Apple store and am very happy with it. I got the black one with green trim and insides. The 13" MBA fits perfectly. I always insert the MBA thick end down for some irrational belief that it distributes the weight better. The bag is very light and slim and adds no bulk.

iphonsteve4ajob

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2011
I have the grey for the 13" Air. It's a nice bag, but I think the compartment is a bit loose for my taste. The interior is soft, but doesn't hold the laptop snugly therefore my body movement was a concern. Meaning the motion of the bag swinging and bumping against my body throughout the day while I walk/run to where I need to go.

So I ended up purchasing an ACME Made nylon sleeve. I had planned to anyway, since the thought of just carrying the sleeve to meetings and such seemed more convenient than carrying my bag. The sleeve fits in the bag and keeps my Air snug, while offering a bit more shock protection. I love that it has no zipper, the rubber band is easy to slide on and off.

Attachments

• acme.jpg
    acme.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 1,166
  • incase.jpg
    incase.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 1,164

vazelos

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2011
I have the grey for the 13" Air. It's a nice bag, but I think the compartment is a bit loose for my taste. The interior is soft, but doesn't hold the laptop snugly therefore my body movement was a concern. Meaning the motion of the bag swinging and bumping against my body throughout the day while I walk/run to where I need to go.

So I ended up purchasing an ACME Made nylon sleeve. I had planned to anyway, since the thought of just carrying the sleeve to meetings and such seemed more convenient than carrying my bag. The sleeve fits in the bag and keeps my Air snug, while offering a bit more shock protection. I love that it has no zipper, the rubber band is easy to slide on and off.

Hey mista, where'd ya get that ACME nylon sleeve? I like it :)

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
This is my personal carrying set up. Like the previous poster, the leather sleeve gives added protection while in the bag's laptop compartment. I love it.

Sleeve: BoxWave Elite Macbook Air 13" sleeve
Bag: Incase Compact Backpack

Attachments

• MBAir leather sleeve.jpg
    MBAir leather sleeve.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 60
  • MBAir Incase backpack.jpeg
    MBAir Incase backpack.jpeg
    15.4 KB · Views: 1,047
  • MBAir Incase Interior.jpg
    MBAir Incase Interior.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 65

Rynology

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
amitdoc2b, my new 13" air is in transit and expected to arrive Monday so I went to the Apple store today to check out the Nylon bag. They had the dark gray one with green accents and I was able to test fitment with one of the store's macbook airs and I was really impressed with how it fit. I also really liked the color scheme much more than from the pictures online so I ended up picking it up.

Did you end up getting the taupe version? If so let us know what you think and post some pics!

Seems like a solid bag and perfect for what I was looking for. Messenger style strap, pockets that are large enough for the power adapter, super cushiony pocket for the air, and incredibly low profile.

vkuber

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2010
Picked up the Incase Nylon Sling for my MBA yesterday afternoon. Question for the people who currently own the product - When putting the MBA in the bag, doesn't it seem that the zipper is rubbing against the body of the MBA when sliding it in? Going to purchase the Acme Made case sometime soon but curious to know every ones opinions.

:apple:

Rynology

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
Picked up the Incase Nylon Sling for my MBA yesterday afternoon. Question for the people who currently own the product - When putting the MBA in the bag, doesn't it seem that the zipper is rubbing against the body of the MBA when sliding it in? Going to purchase the Acme Made case sometime soon but curious to know every ones opinions.

My Air arrives tomorrow. Will let you know :)

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
InCase nylon sleeve is a very useful bag, but with limited storage. It works well with a sleeve or without. Though I wound up with a CaseLogic attaché, for it's extra space that remains slim looking for only $30.00.

rmcnelly

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
Portsmouth, VA

I've had mine for a few weeks now and initially thought the zippers might be a problem but they haven't been an issue. I load the 13" MBA hinge side down and pull up on the zipper when closing them. I'm not super careful when loading the MBA in the case and the zippers haven't scratched it.

I'm really happy with it (black w/green interior) and carry it like a small briefcase. You can also stow the handles or use the removeable shoulder strap. I paid full price at the Apple store after trying out the fit in several other cases they had.

vkuber

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2010
I've had mine for a few weeks now and initially thought the zippers might be a problem but they haven't been an issue. I load the 13" MBA hinge side down and pull up on the zipper when closing them. I'm not super careful when loading the MBA in the case and the zippers haven't scratched it.

I'm really happy with it (black w/green interior) and carry it like a small briefcase. You can also stow the handles or use the removeable shoulder strap. I paid full price at the Apple store after trying out the fit in several other cases they had.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

Sniv

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2011
DK

Oh I would love one of those. It looks just like the sleeve for me!
Pity it'll probably cost me a fortune to get it shipped to DK...:(

VXC

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2011
I have this sling in the 15 inch. I wanted the extra room so that I can swap out my MBA 13 for a 15 inch work laptop when needed.

The bag has been great. For my MBA 13, it fits nicely even with a sleeve on, but remember i have the 15 inch size bag.

Rynology

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
13" MBA arrived today and fits perfectly in the the sling case. Feels perfectly secure and doesn't move around in the laptop compartment which is what I was concerned with. Terrific solution as I wanted something I could travel with that would maximize the portability of the Air, providing just enough storage for the power adapter, iPhone, and a few other essential peripherals. Very happy with it and my new Air!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.