Incipio duroSHOT DRX Review (and comparison to NGP)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by kny3twalker, Feb 22, 2011.

1. kny3twalker, Feb 22, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011

kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Incipio duroSHOT DRX

The Incipio duroSHOT DRX fits the Verizon iPhone quite well. Of course the mute button is not centered, but it is NOT touching the case either, unlike the NGP case. Furthermore, the thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) material is higher quality than the TPU used for the NGP case; it's smoother on the back and softer on the sides; and the polycarbonate edge is very smooth to the touch. The polycarbonate edge and smooth TPU back of the duroSHOT DRX should make removing the phone from your pocket easier than the NGP too. Then the openings for the headphone port and dock port are both beveled. Finally the duroSHOT DRX seems to offer slightly more protection in a slightly smaller, tighter-fitting package.

The only notable downside seems to be bottom edge made of TPU near the dock port which is flexible, similar to the NGP case, but slightly more so as the TPU material of the case is softer around the front and sides of the phone. Some other minor complaints include a slight edge between the polycarbonate and the thermoplastic polyurethane on both the sides and back and a mark on the upper left-hand corner from the molding process.

Incipio should have really considered this during the design and development phase and made it so the molding mark was on one of the bottom corners. As far as the slight edge where the polycarbonate meets the TPU, hopefully after some use, it will become smoother, but for the $34.95 retail price Incipio is asking, it's not too much to think the case could have had a little time in the polisher. As I said before these are very minor issues.
    Overall, I would rate this case an 8 or 9. And I would rate the NGP a 7 or 8, regardless of the fitment issues with the Verizon iPhone.

Photos were taken with my iSight camera so quality could be better.

While the mute button is close, there is really about 1mm in between the case and the button.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

See the molding mark on the corner here.
    [​IMG]

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=272417&stc=1&d=1298442300

[​IMG]

2. kny3twalker thread starter macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

I would be happy to post some pictures with my NGP case as well.
    Anyways here are the rest of the pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

Thanks for the Great review. I was thinking about picking this case up a while ago but I don't think I need to anymore. I'm pretty happy with my set up.

4. kny3twalker thread starter macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

What case are you using currently?

5. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I have this case and I definitely do not think it's worth the $35 they charge for it :rolleyes:

6. TheBigKing macrumors 65816

TheBigKing

that case is the same of incipio ngp only change the color to me lol i love the incipio ngp i have it since september and its only the case that i have not been sold other cases i sold it

7. kny3twalker thread starter macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

While I agree, I nonetheless like the case.

It's not the same as the NGP. It has a polycarbonate frame built in around the back edge. The TPU material as I said in my review is different too. The back is slightly harder but the sides are much softer and have a more rubber like feeling, The front protection may not be quite as good as the NGP but the rear protection is better.

8. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=963858&page=22

Post #550 theres some photos. I'm using lucky lab wraps and a case mate hula bumper with front and back Screen protectors. I usually change cases quote a bit but for the last few weeks I've had this I haven't even thought about changing amazingly. Pretty close to naked, slim, and protective on the band which is where your phone usually lands if you drop it. Overall quite happy. My case search might be over till iPhone 5 arrives!

9. weisjt macrumors 6502a

weisjt

i like the durashot drx but i would rather use the speck see thru satin...

10. damon2000 macrumors newbie

unless there is a iphone4 version that i don't know about... why does this iphone4 in the pictures have all the buttons/camera on the other side???

11. kny3twalker thread starter macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

I took the pictures with the iSight camera on my macbook. Can you figure out why they are like that now?

12. damon2000 macrumors newbie

oh gotcha. i figured it was inverted somehow, but i didn't know what isight was sorry. now i know.

13. kny3twalker thread starter macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

I think my statements might have come off rude, so I apologize.

14. kny3twalker thread starter macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

the glue used to hold the case together failed, so I would definitely not recommend this case.
    It lasted one month