Inciting Buddhist Facebooker Responsible For New Muslim Violence

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by kavika411, Sep 30, 2012.

1. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

First it was teh youtubes, then a vicious cartoon drawing, and now it's the ever-violent Buddhist Facebookers.

When will the world learn to stop spurring all of this Muslim violence???!!!

Link.

2. segovius macrumors regular

segovius

I believe there are people in this forum of a rational and enquiring balanced mindset (work with me, it is possible) those individuals I think would appreciate the following article from the Guardian which is a nuanced and sometimes troubling overview of the current climate re Islamic sensibilities but seen through the filter of the Salman Rushdie "Satanic Verses" affair.

The Myths of Muslim Rage

It takes some reading with attention but is worth it and as I say, there are at least a few people here capable of assimilating its subtexts.

For everyone else I can only say "bluddey muzzlims, we shud nuke ve lot of em as they is barbarik an beleev in fary-tail unycorns"

3. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

They are insulting their own religion by these violent acts. People will tend to have a negative image of Muslims if they keep on responding with violence every time someone speaks harshly against Islam. The violence will just spur those people on validating their opinion that muslims are, " insert attack here", etc.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The Buddha lived over 2,600 years ago and despite the violence and stupidity of that time was able to devote himself to the practice of enlightenment.

Thousands of years later the world is stilled mired in stupidity and violence. Yet any of us could still devote ourselves to the practice of enlightenment, just as the Buddha did.

Stupidity and violence will not come to an end anytime soon. But despite that fact, it's up to you to take advantage of your opportunity to improve your mind, your habits, your behavior and their impact on the world and everyone around you. You cannot change others. But you can change yourself.

Thank you for the opportunity to share a little Buddhism. It's a rare treat in these forums.

5. kavika411 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kavika411

For those of us who suffer from teh stupids, would you consider humbling yourself and assimilating the subtexts for us?

signed,
    the unenlightened

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The question is ... are you working to change that?

7. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Honestly, if someone is about to murder over a post on facebook, that's more of a reflection of the person killing, not the person posting on facebook.

8. kavika411 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kavika411

The question is ... will citizenzen be successful, via conflation and non-specific rhetoric, in again preventing thread participants from talking about the detonating bomb known as Islam?

My money says "no."

9. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Islam is the religion of peace. Remember that.

10. segovius macrumors regular

segovius

Ok...yes. Glad to help.

The first point to grasp is that 'Muslim violence' may not in fact be Muslim violence.

It may be - and often is, though not always - violence committed by people who are Muslim by birth. A parallel would be the Catholic-Protestant violence in Northern Ireland. It was never 'Christian violence'.

The author of the article hints at this with his outlining of the Rushdie affair as not primarily religious at all - it was political.

A second point he addresses is the 'war on Islam' which is being waged not so much by the West (though they are also in a different sense 'at war' with Islam) but by the Saudi Wahabis.

Put it this way: Saudi have essentially been given a blank cheque by the US - ie they know that whatever they do the US will not and CANNOT (oil) cut them out of the picture. So...whatever their excesses (beheadings, abuse of women, blowing people up like recent incidents) the US will divert the blame away from them to 'someone else' - ie al Qaeda or whoever. The truth is though that it is Wahabis responsible for 90% of this mayhem.

There...that should get you rolling. You will be able to find several other relevant points in the article itself. The comments are especially informative.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It just amazes me that you label Islam as a detonating bomb.

And even if your description were true, how would you choose to deal with it?

How would you like to deal with it kavika?

Please be specific.

12. segovius macrumors regular

segovius

Actually the reason you DON'T remember that (or know it) is not really your fault.

The media really has you on a string. If you knew anything about Islam you would know it is founded on peace.

All religions have this problem. It's like saying "Look at Christianity and the 100 Million people slaughtered in the Crusades and in the Inquisition - it is not a religion of peace".

But it is.

It is because it goes by what the founder taught and what its Scriptures say - not what some people do.

To think otherwise is irrational. You might as well find an example of a Policeman or judge who stole something (and there are many) and argue that this means the Law says you must steal.

But as I say, the reason you don't know good things about Islam is because there are vested interests making sure you don't.

One last thing (!hah!): ALL religion by definition is about peace, doing good, loving your neighbour and creation etc. ALL of it. Every religion there is.

People try to follow the rules to live a balanced life...and it's not easy. Sometimes (most times) they fail. But they are still believers. Others go round killing and causing pain....these are not believers at all. No-one who does this is any Muslim, Christian, Jew, Buddhist or anything other than a murderer.

if you see a vegetarian wolfing a big mac you might say "well, he fell off the wagon one day". If you see a vegetarian bathed in blood, slaughtering cows and eating them every single day then the rational response is not "these vegetarians are killers" but rather "that person is not a vegetarian".

13. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Essentially all that has happened is a group of Muslims have been wanting to take out aggression on Buddhists. This was an excuse to act.

14. kavika411 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kavika411

By shining a bright light on their pathetic apologists. Hope that was specific enough for you.

Thanks for asking.

15. segovius macrumors regular

segovius

Ok..go on then...turn the light on. And shine it somewhere....

I reckon there's a few on this very thread you might label an apologist. We need light! Put the Shine on you crazy diamond!

16. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I think your biggest problem is that you're taking the actions of an backasswards crazy few, and using them as an indictment of the whole. It's not "Islamic apology", nor is it excusing what these people do (those involved deserve a swift boot to the head), it's that you can't paint whole groups of people with one broad brush, simply because they have one thing in common.

17. segovius macrumors regular

segovius

Right. Well said. If he ever gets that searchlight operational he could also shine it on the 2 BILLION Muslims who never do anything violent at all.

Let's face it - there are enough Muslims in the US alone that if they were all blood-crazed jihadis then it would be game over 10 years ago.

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

LOL.

No. That's not very specific.

So your solution to a "detonating bomb" is to shine a light on apologists?

Either you're vastly overstating the problem ... or really bad at defusing bombs.

19. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I find it heartbreaking that these (few) Muslims deem it acceptable to kill and destroy whenever someone pokes fun at their religion. To be honest, it is downright pathetic and will only cause more people to do it.

If you react when poked, people will begin to poke you a lot more.

20. Fazzy macrumors 6502

I find it just as pathetic that some people find the burning need to constantly make fun of Muslims. Not only will they incite the tiny percentage to cause havoc, but it also pisses off the overwhelmingly peaceful majority who have done nothing wrong and constantly find themselves tarred with the same brush as the tiny minority.

21. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I rather suspect that the only thing you can accomplish by shining a light is a self-colonoscopy.

----------

Judging all Muslims by the actions of a few is like judging all Christians by the actions of George Bush, Dick Cheney, Tony Blair, Pat Robertson, Newt Gingrich and Mitt Romney.

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Quite. It is little better than the ridiculous protests over these events conducted by a minority.

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

This is something [taunting] that won't change, and I do believe the onus is on the Muslim community to learn how to endure these insults without resorting to violence.

But that will take time. Social progress always does.

I guess that makes me an apologist.

:rolleyes:

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Completely agreed. It doesn't make the accusations of barbarism on the whole religion acceptable though.

25. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

The peace of capitulation? Because that's what the radicals want.

No, but it does point out that unyielding religion has no place in a truly modern World.