Incompetence or Negligence, the Stuggle for Universal Health Care in the U.S.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

A report this morning from the architect (Zeke Enamuel) of The ACA says that he thinks that the most likely outcome will be a repair of Obama Care, not repeal and replace, (my opinion>) a political maneuver to make a Trump and the GOP look good. He also said that if the ACA is repealed without a viable replacement that all insurance could rise 20% or more.

The fact is, the GOP has no plan despite 6 years to craft an alternative. My view is they have no interest in health care for the masses, hence no alternative which there has been plenty of time to work in.

The biggest single issue as with this as with Social Security, how do we fund this to make it viable??

Opinions
    Where’s the GOP’s health-care plan?

Only one problem: There is no plan. Republicans have hundreds of ideas but no replacement plan and no consensus. So now the same politicians who couldn’t come up with a serious plan in six years are considering a new idea: repeal now and replace later. Use the arcane rules of a “reconciliation” bill to push through repeal; replacement plan to come later. Promise. Trust us, they say, we’ll come up with something in a few months, or a couple of years, with a “few bumps along the way,” as Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said . (“Bumps” is a euphemism for sick Americans losing health care, giving new meaning to the phrase “road kill.”)

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think the only way for us to get single payer universal healthcare is for the US to go through the pain of a complete breakdown of the free market healthcare system. So I hope that the Republicans go ahead and repeal the ACA with no replacement. It will be hard, but it would eventually fall apart on its own and I think that the suffering the collapse will cause is the only thing that will let the Republicans step out of the way of universal healthcare.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Isn't sad that this country is only moved through reactionary movements? Every. Time.

4. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Until big Pharma and the insurance companies are able to be toppled, there is no solution. A for profit system on health will always benefit the companies, not the consumer.

We will have to experience a crash and burn to get them off their perch.

5. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Trump talked about allowing Canadian imports on drugs, hopefully he sticks to his guns on that because that would be a huge hit to big Pharma.

6. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

if the GOP is stupid enough to simply repeal w/o having another solution they will lose come next election cycle.

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Sad, but unfortunately it's the reality we have to deal with.

8. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Whatever they come out with one thing is for certain, Ryan will do a better job of explaining it then the poster child for TBI Pelosi.

9. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

What I want to hear is how SS and UHC or it's equivalence will be made long term viable programs.

10. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

No ones going to touch SS because it is a time bomb. This was one of the issues about the ACA, creating ANOTHER 3rd rail of american politics that can't get fixed when it needs fixing because it becomes too political.

11. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Good luck with that.

12. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I could see Trump give Congress the middle-finger and proposing single-payer.

One of my Democratic senators (Patty Murray) just voted against importing Canadian pharmaceuticals. What's that all about?

13. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Check her donor list, the third largest donor is the drug companies.

14. indychris macrumors 6502

indychris

IMO, that's just a sad reflection on the country. Perhaps what's even more tragic is that our government has somehow allowed the notion to propagate that it's the responsibility of government to ensure health care for individuals. It's actually a bit of an oddity that many of the same people decrying the loss of privacy are the same asking for government to step in and make sure people have access to everything they want, from cell phones, to internet access, to housing, to food, and on and on and on.

It is rather mutually exclusive. If you want government more involved, then they are also going to have more control. There's absolutely no way that those two won't go together.

15. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

If done well, I would be for it.

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

....That literally just got voted down this week.

17. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

So in other words we are going to sit back and allow the bus to drive off the fiscal cliff. It's already banging it's way through the guard rail, now with a questionable driver who flunked drivers ed. Maybe I'll have passed on to my next life before that happens. :( :oops: ;)

18. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

You better die before then! ;)
    It's a problem no one really wants to tackle...

19. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Here is the issue, we can defund it or we can pay for it, allowing it to slide, building debt is negligence. And STOP FRICK'N ROBBING IT (social security)!! Time to get real folks, put you big boy/girls pants on.

PS- This is where a representative democracy will fail.

20. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

We've known it was headed for doom long before Trump cut his first check to the Clinton's in the 90's. You cannot have an honest debate about SS because of the vitriol that gets spewed and the accusations hung around someones neck (making it hard to run for reelection). No one wants to call off the dogs. Say what you want about Ryan's plan in 2012, he specifically stated nothing applies to those who are currently over 55. What did the the democrats do? Run ads showing grandma getting shoved off a cliff.

Now with the ACA, they want to try and fix it (keep the good parts). "OMG 20 million people are going to lose their health insurance". This was one of the goals of the ACA, if nothing else it was going to make another 3rd rail that voters can take with them into the voting booth.

21. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

i heard Obamacare will be discarded in no time. ACA remains.

22. Huntn, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I agree (to a degree without laying total blame on just the Democrats) and my favorite analogy is that we wasting valuable time rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic instead of riveting a metal plate over the hole. And this goes back to Congress, where the fight for power has shoved the issues that will sink the country aside, for the right to raise a political flag, just as the flag poll sinks under the waves. :(

Is it wrong to blame citizens in a democracy who don't want to swallow their medicine and blame their Representatives when they are forced to face hard truths?

23. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

You forgot the /s at the end of your post.

24. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

You can go a long way to fixing SS by doing two simple things. 1. Raise the retirement age to 67 with exceptions for those individuals who work manual labor type jobs (plumbers, carpenters, ect). 3. Raise the cap on SS income to the first $400k.

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Why have a cap at all?