Incompetent search function

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Italianblend, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I go to the ios search on my iphone to find a specific text message...

It shows up in the search!!!!

I click on it...

It takes me to the conversation....but the screen takes me to the most recent message....

This search function doesn't work.

I think it's because the message is above the "show earlier messages" line...

But what is the point of a search result that I can't even get to?

There is no way to search a conversation for a specific result if it's before the show earlier messages line.

This is simply ridiculous. It's 2013, and I can't even find a text search result?

2. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

I agree that it's not well implemented but I wouldn't go so far as to say that the search function "doesn't work."

Consider that maybe the way it was meant to work, which, again, I think/agree is implemented poorly, is such that it takes you only to the conversation that contains the search string you looked for and not to the actual message within that conversation.

Whatever the case, I wouldn't be surprised if this was soon changed (iOS 7?) to behave the way you want it to -- and the way it should -- and to also include "per message" timestamps, or at least an option for them.

3. Italianblend thread starter macrumors 68000

Italianblend

The Search function has been around since I can remember, on my 3G. I wouldn't assume that it would automatically be fixed in ios 7, since it's been around since ios 3.

4. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

And neither would I.

5. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

I agree
    I came upon this thread just now while searching for a way to find a specific text on my iPhone 5. I switch between Android and iPhone every few months and I think one of the greatest things on the Android is that I can search a word in my messages and it will show me any text that has that matching word in it and if I click it will show the whole message, which I can see being handy if I'm trying to remember something someone said if I can just remember one word of the conversation I'm able to find it again.