"Incorrect number of file hard links" - is my hard drive toast?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dobomode, Mar 25, 2008.

1. dobomode macrumors newbie

Hello,

I was running Disk Utility yesterday and it reported that my hard drive has "Incorrect number of file hard links". It could not repair the problem. What exactly is this issue and how bad it is? Is it possible to recover from it?

I am running Leopard on Macbook Pro 15'' 2.2GHz

Thanks!

Bump.

Your help is appreciated.

Bump.

Third time's a charm. :)

Attached Files:

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you're worried, you best bet is to back up your files (not Time Machine) and reinstall the OS and all. Don't restore from Time Machine.

3. markster macrumors newbie

4. dobomode thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. I did see that thread @ the apple forums, but it didn't really help.

What did help though was booting from the installation CD and running Disk Utility there. It seemed to have fixed it. I still don't know what the problems was though or what caused it in the first place.

Cheers!

5. renault4 macrumors regular

curious, why do you say not to use time machine?

6. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

I'm curious too. I've restored from my TM backup twice already after re-installing OS X (for different reasons). I intentionally excluded my applications folder but everything else was back to normal.

7. tip macrumors 6502

tip

If the corruption happened prior to backing up via Time Machine, then you might be possibly restoring corrupt (or missing) files. I would have run Disk Utility from the DVD first (which the OP did), and then run TM.

8. renault4 macrumors regular

OK, that makes sense.

9. n8c macrumors member

When you guys say "run disk utility," what exactly do you mean? Do you mean you are repairing permissions in disk utility, or is there something else that you are running from within disk utility? I just am asking for future reference.

10. tip macrumors 6502

tip

"Repair Disk" - for your boot volume, it should be done from a DVD (or separate boot disk).