Incorrect usage data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kevo156, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Kevo156, Oct 6, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2013

Kevo156 macrumors newbie

I noticed when my 5s is connected to wifi it shows huge usage numbers. The difference between leaving it on wifi and leaving it on LTE, in usage time, is massive. To test this I took a screen shot before bed and another one when I woke up. The results show 6 minutes of usage while the phone was locked and untouched. This usage data is wrong. I haven't streamed any music or anything either.

Attached Files:

2. GlenK macrumors 6502a

GlenK

I am getting no usage data on my 5S. Haven't seen anyone else with this as an issue. It just doesn't show up and shows - for usage and standby.

3. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

Your usage/standby time usually displays a '-' if you've reset your phone (holding the power and home button at the same time)

4. dave420 macrumors 65816

I've found iOS 7 automatically restarts a lot, which also causes the usage time to not be displayed until the phone is charged again.

I'm also finding large usage times that are close to the standby times. Even while I am sleeping the usage time is going up, and the battery seems to be dying quickly as well. I haven't looked at it too much yet.

5. GlenK macrumors 6502a

GlenK

I know but for some reason it's not displaying in either case.

6. Chris5488 macrumors regular

I was just about to start a topic about strange usage data when I found this topic.

I have an iPhone 4S and when on iOS6 (and iOS5) the numbers were around 4 hours usage and 4 days standby on a full battery. Since I have iOS7 I see numbers like 7 hours usage and 2 days standby or 5 hours and 3 days standby while I'm not using my iPhone more than before! I did a test last week and used my iPhone to a bare minimum. I would say I used it no more than 1 hour on a full charge. Result: 4 hours usage and 3.5 days standby :eek:

What happened with iOS7? Suddenly the indicated usage time has gone up exponentially while I'm not using my iPhone more than then. The only answer I could give is that iOS7 does a lot, and I mean a lot, in the background and counts it as usage time in the stats. But why and what is it doing? Any advice? If this could be fixed I would get much better battery life than now.

7. alvaroe16 macrumors newbie

E-mail?

Do you have e-mail being pushed to your phone? I think if your phone is looking for e-mail at nights, or downloading e-mail being pushed to it.. its considered to being used. I don't think Apple usage meter measures only when the screen is on... it measures when the processor is doing something major..like e-mail receiving.

8. Chris5488 macrumors regular

- 2 email accounts, both on 'manual' (Push -> off)
    - Bluetooth -> off
    - Searching for Wifi / Ask for connection -> off
    - 3G -> off
    - Personal hotspot -> off
    - Notifications carefully managed, turned off for most apps (On for Facebook)
    - Location Services carefully managed, turned off for everything System-related
    - iCloud for Calender, Reminders, Passbook and third-party apps -> off
    - Use of mobile data for iCloud Documents, iTunes, App Store -> off

I don't know what else there is to do... Maybe automatic updates form the App Store?

9. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

I don't get it.... what am I looking at here?

looks absolutely normal to me...

----------

....your phone does "things" in the background while you sleep like emails and stuff... and if you have that "background app refresh" setting turned on, it may be doing that too... My phone will do an extra 3-6 minutes on its own every night... that's just how they work. I would venture a guess that the smallest increment that apple measures useage in is one minute. So even if your phone takes 5 milliseconds to check for new emails, it's going to consider that a minute. That might be wrong, but I would guess that's what's happening.... this isn't "wrong".

10. dave420 macrumors 65816

6 minutes in one night is one thing. My phone went up by about 5 hours while I was asleep for 7 hours. And on top of that my battery died. To make things worse the same thing happened on both my phones last night (4S and 5s). I'm guessing iOS 7 has some battery issues. I've turned off background updating to see if it gets any better.

11. scotrinaf macrumors 6502

Try turning off your "Background App Refresh" and see if that helps!!!

12. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

yeah, 5 hours is excessive, but not what the OP was showing... that's different than a "typical" 6 minute-overnight useage.

Sounds like one of your email accounts is maybe stuck or something... if the background app thing doesn't work, try removing accounts/re-adding one at a time to see if the issue persists

Good luck!

13. dave420 macrumors 65816

Interesting. I might have gotten this thread confused with another. I'd like to only get 6 minutes of usage time overnight.
    I did recently add my Yahoo email account onto my second phone (normally just on 1), so if the background update doesn't change anything then I will remove the Yahoo account from one of the phones next.