Increase in foodborne illness and factory squalor

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by splitpea, Oct 22, 2012.

1. splitpea macrumors 6502a

This is what happens when you try to shrink government to the point where you can drown it in a bathtub:

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/dail...ries-foodborne-diseases-rising-144403719.html

Didn't we already learn these lessons 100 years ago?

There is an imbalance of information and power between corporations and consumers. Regulation and enforcement are necessary to keep corporations from acting against the public good. Without them we get salmonella, toxins in baby formula, chemical dumping that turns our rivers into superfund sites...

And guess what -- to enforce regulations effectively, our government agencies need funding. Not a lot. (Hint: The FDA's entire annual budget is about what we spend in Afghanistan every week.)

Gee, I remember hearing something once about those who don't learn from history... anyone remember what that was?

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hey- don't worry. The free market will fix this problem once people stop buying food! That'll teach 'em. :rolleyes:

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yes, we've been told countless times in PRSI that the free market is the answer to all our problems. When enough peopel get sick and/or die, that will stop them from selling tainted ****. :rolleyes:

4. Happybunny macrumors 68000

We just had a bad case of food poisoning here in the Netherlands, and other countries where the fish had been exported to. The main reason was that production had been overplaced from the Netherlands to Greece to cut costs. The firm saved some money on this deal. But now has lost it's good name, and will most likely be forced out of business.
    http://www.volkskrant.nl/vk/nl/2672...goeding-voor-slachtoffers-besmette-zalm.dhtml

5. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

This is one of the issues with government subcontracting of certain functions. We saw/see the issues with this in Iraq and Afganistan. Most administrators assert that certain market sectors should be regulated by government-only via a 'natural monopoly', such as water treatment (which is also having subcontracting issues).

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Yeah, I don't quite get the people that stand firmly behind the idea that a company's only responsibility is to generate as much profit as possible and still believe that giving them carte blanche is best thing to do with regards to the well being of this planet and everything that inhabits it. How those opposing ideas don't make your head explode like a robot from Star Trek I have no idea.

7. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

The only people who think that are selfish scumbags who don't care about anyone but themselves.

In other words, most republicans.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I thought this was going to be a tread about china...

Agreed that this is bad.

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Canada has the same issues it seems. This is what happens when you shove cattle in pins and let them stand in their own **** till death.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

OMG- we agree on something. The way we raise our food has got to change. We cannot continue to factory farm. As someone who grew up in farm country, I can't stomach it. We grew all our own vegetables and many fruits. And we butchered our animals ourselves from the farm across the way. And those animals were all raised on huge plots of land. That's how it should be.

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

People from farming areas should be more disgusted than most because we know there is a proper way to raise livestock. The majority of people who grew up in the city probably still think of green pastures when they go to buy meat at the store, not muddy feces pits with diseased cattle pinned shoulder to shoulder.

We traded in our small farmers for corporations to save a few bucks and we get food that makes us sick in return, again putting a price on our health.

I want a refund. There should be no divide on this issue between parties.

12. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

You know it's an issue people agree on when the thread is this small. If people can't argue they aren't interested.;)

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Agreed. Treating animals respectably should be the goal. It always was when I was a kid. Think James Cameron's Avatar. That's how I was raised.

14. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

By tripping balls when you came into contact with plants.

**** yes! Best upbringing ever. ;)