Increasing rMBP battery life tips from cult of mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zerotiu, Jul 10, 2012.

1. zerotiu macrumors regular

I haven't tried this because I haven't got my rMBP

source:
    http://www.cultofmac.com/178092/thi...double-your-retina-macbook-pros-battery-life/

please share if this really works :)

2. 01mggt macrumors 6502

3. Inopia-Vi macrumors regular

It's still odd. It's probably going to be fixed in a incremental firmare update.

4. doh123 macrumors 65816

I used migration assistant from a Time Machine backup, and have no battery issues at all... this "report" is very low on details. What is actually wrong in the plist... there should be something that can be found.

I wonder what incompatible software this person had installed, or if they checked their GPU settings and something was causing the GPU to be locked on.

5. d00d macrumors regular

Here's an idea. Why not move the preference file rather than delete it to see what's different to check if it's placebo effect?

Maybe I'm being crazy trying to analyze this rather than subscribe to new voodoo. I can't wait to see the deletion of this preference file being added to every maintenance guide without any rhyme or reason.

----------

Ooh, even better. The next tip in source thread in the Apple forums recommends zapping the pram. We've come full circle.

6. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Not a tip a fix, unless the file is corrupted during migration this will do northing for bty life.

Personally I don't use migration assistant, preferring to update the new machine manually and leaving all the junk behind.

7. d00d macrumors regular

Farther down the rabbit hole. A thread on Ars Technica discusses something similar.

http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1177256

Basically, if you notice the Dock using an unusual amount of CPU, it's worth blowing away a few preference files to restore good behavior.

Nothing new here, nothing specific to the rMBP, more poorly researched, overly dramatic voodoo from Cult of Mac.

8. PVisitors macrumors 6502a

Does anybody actually believe what Cult of Mac say? It's probably the worst Mac enthusiast website. Unless I see another more reputed Mac site confirming this to be the case, I'll happily dismiss it as the usual tripe from CoM.

9. d00d macrumors regular

Some people do. It's rather sad.