Incredible Buy on 1TB Seagate at Fry's... $199

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by GotPro, Apr 6, 2008.

1. GotPro macrumors 6502

Only 'till Tuesday!

(Note: I'm not affiliated with Fry's or anything... just found this buy clicking on "Fry's Ads" in google... it's the first link.)

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

FYI I was at Fry's Fountain Valley yesterday and they were all out. :(

3. GotPro thread starter macrumors 6502

4. bmat macrumors 6502

Are these good? I see it's about $60 cheaper than a lot of other places.

5. GotPro thread starter macrumors 6502

Personally, and this is only my opinion... I rank them about 3rd or 4th...

The Hitachi's and Samsung's I think rank about 1 and 2 (I have the Hitachi 1TB), and then I think the Seagate's rank right behind them. The new WD's excite me... but haven't seen any definitive benchmarking or hands on with them.

However... it's $300 for the Hitachi... so for the price... hmmmm...

6. fredr500 macrumors regular

Same price in store

Best Buy has the same price in the store, just carried one home.

Fred

7. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I think your opinion is wrong, and the FACT is the seagate barracuda 1tb beats the hitachi 1tb drives anyday, this is why I went with the seagates and never looked back. I've been a hitachi lover for a quite long while and hated seagate hdd's, but these days its been the other way around.

http://www.barefeats.com/hard94.html Notice the seagate beats the Hitachi in 8 out of 9 tests.

http://www.barefeats.com/harper14.html Notice barefeats dont bother to add the Hitachi Deskstar 1TB drive.

Pretty much though the order of things in speed are:

1)Western Digital WD6400AAKS 7K 640GB
    2)Samsung Spinpoint F1 7K 1000GB
    3)Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 7K 1000GB
    4)Samsung Spinpoint F1 7K 750GB
    5)Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 1TB 7200rpm

But for me since the Western Digital WD6400AAKS is only 640gb as to 1tb I find the seagate barracuda as the #1 or #2 ranking spot + reliability is better than the samsung spinpoints which I hear has a much much higher % of hdd failures.

As for #1 bootdrive I'd go with the WD6400AAKS (I currently have the raptor 150gb but I hear that the WD6400AAKS is very fast and bests even my raptor with 10k except the seek time of course but for more space I might sell the raptor and get the WD soon), but for 2nd,3rd or 4th storage, I'd go with the seagate barracuda 1TB drives for speed/reliability.

Man for $189 or $199 this is an awesome deal, I might have to take the plunge. I just bought my seagate barracuda 1TB just a month ago for $269 for the NS model ending with the higher mtbf of 1.2million instead of these seagate barracudas 1TB with the half the mtbf (750000) ending in the AS model numbers.

8. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Seagate was always the gold standard when all macs used SCSI drives, Quantums were considered cheap compared to Seagate

9. wsu108 macrumors newbie

Thanks, Fred.

After reading your post, I went to BestBuy to try my luck. The first one I went didn't have any. The second BestBuy still has few left. The people in BestBuy check the stock from their computer and I saw that the promotion will go on until April 12th.:eek:

10. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Lol, and yet, most new Macs would ship with Quantum Fireballs. Or, they would at least once the switch to ATA was made. Man, consumer SCSI used to SUCK... super expensive, and 5-10 MBps, 20 max if you wanted to pay an arm and a leg.

11. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Man that sure brings back memories of quantum fireballs!! I remember WD being ranked as top hdd just 12-13 years ago and I remember when buying a new hdd always targeted WD and especially the quantum fireballs!!

Things have changed ALOT and now hdd's are so competitive.

12. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

13. asencif macrumors 6502

Is the Best Buy model the same as the one on the barefeats test? On the barefeats only 7200.11 is stated, but not sure what the exact model number is or if this is some especially marketed to BB retail? How ever knows the info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

14. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

On barefeats.com the Seagate 1TB drive they are using the model number ST31000340AS and the best buy model is ST310005N1A1AS.. not sure if they are the exact same hdd with newer model numbers or not but they both end in AS so I'm guessing they both have the MTBF of 750000 hours.

The one I ordered a month ago is the ST31000340NS with the MTBF of 1.2 Million hours which are specifically made to run 24/7 in server grade machines.

I'm going to buy the seagate tomarrow and put that AS model in my external hdd where my current NS seagate is installed and put that NS model in my mac pro.

Update Ok this is what I found out from another forum from a post, the difference of the two from barefeats and best buy seagate both ending in AS models:

I found my answer after emailing Seagate customer support. The -RK drives are the "retail kit" and thus their numbering system doesn't match the standard Seagate numbers. The model number on my drive itself is ST31000340AS, while the box reflects the ST310005N1A1AS-RK.

So to sum it up the barefeats seagate and best buy's seagate hdds are the exact same hdds.

15. wsu108 macrumors newbie

It shows "ST31000340AS" from the system profiler, but the box shows ST310005N1A1AS-RK.

The module # "ST31000340AS" is referred as "Barracuda 7200.11 SATA 3Gb/s 1-TB Hard Drive" in Seagate's website.

I don's know what's the difference between the box and the drive itself. Since my MP recognizes it as the 7200.11 SATA drive, I am good with it.

16. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

I love that drive capacities and prices keep improving (higher capacity and lower prices), but I hate how I have drives piling up that never get used anymore. I can only use some many external units (using enclosures) and not many people want to purchase a used drive when prices keep falling on new units.

I can't seem to bring myself to throw the drives out either. It seems like such a waste.

17. Celeron macrumors 6502a

I'm still waiting for a drive that provides a better overall experience than the WD150 Raptor. Sure, some of these drives and push a faster sustained write, which has its benefits under certain applications, to be sure. However, day to day stuff is random reads / writes / seeks, which the Raptor still wins at, hands down, 2 years later. The gap is getting smaller, but the 10k RPM spindle speed is keeping it on the top of the heap for now.

18. asencif macrumors 6502

Thank you so much for the info. I am definitely leaning towards getting this drive.

Thank you as well.

My plan would be to actually get the Raptor drive and use two 1TB Seagate's for data, while the apps and boot OS X residing in the Raptor.

19. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I agree, most drives these days with new features and the way hdd's are built are close in the speed of 10k raptor drives. But while the newer WD, seagate, hitachi 640gb-1tb drives are just as fast or even faster in large transfer/write speed, still nothing comes close to beating the 150gb raptor with its seek/read times. This is why I have the 150gb 10k raptor drive as my boot and the rest 3 treys for storage.

I remember I had the 2.5" samsung SSD SATA-II hdd for my mbp and I compared seek times against the raptor and the raptor drive actually ran apps a second or two faster + the use of cache made it reopen the apps much faster than the ssd drive alone. The only thing better on the ssd's side was the boot time of about 4-6 seconds faster than the raptor 10k drive + no noise of course but heatwise for a 2.5" ssd drive was on par with my hitachi travelstar 7k200 hdd just a bit cooler.

20. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

On the best buy's website it saids the seagate barracuda is in backorder and will ship in 1-2 weeks... anyone know if all the bestbuys are suppose to have them instock?? I'm going to go to my local best buy and I have 3 near me so I can check them.

21. wsu108 macrumors newbie

I found one at the 2nd Bestbuy I visited and that Bestbuy only got 8 in stock.

According to Bestbuy's system, the promotion will be ended at 12th, so you properly need to check your local Bestbuy quick.

22. Captnroger macrumors regular

Do these work in the latest MacPros without issue? I'd like to grab a pair!

23. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a