Incredible - teleportation

Beej

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
2,139
0
Buffy's bedroom
Check this out
In an experiment last month, they teleported a laser beam of light -- moving it instantaneously from one part of the lab to another.
And if that wasn't cool enough...
However, the experiment's main aim was to build a quantum computer. "They potentially could be millions or billions of times faster."
Still a while away, but look out, G8... here we come!
 

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
UN-BUH-LEAV-ABLE!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

technology moves so fast these days... its getting hard to see where we'll be 10 years from now...

but it also has a bad point... every time you get a new computer... a month later they're gonna have one twice as fast... :rolleyes:



irmongoose
 
Comment

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
2,655
0
Kent, UK
heh heh. How typical of scientists. They make a huge breakthough, and celebrate with a vegi pizza! :D :D

Quantum computer for MWNY anyone? :p
 
Comment

Beej

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
2,139
0
Buffy's bedroom
Originally posted by britboy
Quantum computer for MWNY anyone? :p
How sweet would that be? The PC world would be playing catch-up for the next 10 years...

Hey, I can dream! :)
 
Comment

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
19,233
2
London, England
That's incredible! Can you believe it!?
The first steps towards the world of star trek :p
Do you think we will live to see true teleportation of actual physical objects...even people?
 
Comment

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
9,025
1
Originally posted by irmongoose
UN-BUH-LEAV-ABLE!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

technology moves so fast these days... its getting hard to see where we'll be 10 years from now...

but it also has a bad point... every time you get a new computer... a month later they're gonna have one twice as fast... :rolleyes:

irmongoose
10 years time the technology will be fantastic.... just look how far technology has come in the last 6 years......

As for speed...... I dream of the day that computers work in real-time........ then and only then will computers be fast enough..... :D
 
Comment

Beej

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
2,139
0
Buffy's bedroom
I just saw more about it on the news... they guy in charge of it had a TiBook sitting in front of him! w00t!

More info on it - they teleported a laser beam encoded with a message 1 meter in less than a nanosecond. They said that although they only teleported the beam 1m, in theory it is possible over a renge of kilometers.

Oh yeah, and Einstein was wrong - entanglement is real, it is one of the principles involved in making teleportation possible. Cool.
 
Comment

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Originally posted by iGAV


10 years time the technology will be fantastic.... just look how far technology has come in the last 6 years......

As for speed...... I dream of the day that computers work in real-time........ then and only then will computers be fast enough..... :D
\

True, true... floppy -> MO -> CD -> DVD -> and now this??

of course, this is just a small example of the amazing increase in technology...

And, um.. sorry may sound dumb, but... whaddaya mean "real time" ?




irmongoose
 
Comment

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
2,655
0
Kent, UK
Originally posted by irmongoose

And, um.. sorry may sound dumb, but... whaddaya mean "real time" ?

He means when you don't have to wait for anything. Like for example, a filter in photoshop, rendering in fcp, burning an FMD, starting the computer up.... anything and everything to do with a computer :)

That will be sweet.
 
Comment

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
9,025
1
Originally posted by britboy



He means when you don't have to wait for anything. Like for example, a filter in photoshop, rendering in fcp, burning an FMD, starting the computer up.... anything and everything to do with a computer :)

That will be sweet.
Exactly..... I couldn't have said it better myself....... when you click it does it....... no RENDER BARS....... :D ;) :p

As for this teleportation stuff....... hell yeah......... I just hope they have sensors to detect if there are stray flies in the telepod.......

These kind of scientists just amaze me...... I can't even comprehend how something like this can be achieved.........
 
Comment

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
2,853
0
behind you
Originally posted by iGAV


Exactly..... I couldn't have said it better myself....... when you click it does it....... no RENDER BARS....... :D ;) :p

As for this teleportation stuff....... hell yeah......... I just hope they have sensors to detect if there are stray flies in the telepod.......

These kind of scientists just amaze me...... I can't even comprehend how something like this can be achieved.........
This is increadable technology....there is one thing that could be bad though...who will control this tech in the future? The government? Rich private citizens? Where will it be? WIll terrorists have it?

It would be so cool to teleport to work and get all that extra sleep :D but it would make smuggling, bombs, etc. that much easier....its hard to see these things when we're awestruck with technology like this.,....but imagine living in Kansas and Working in Beijing....GEEZ.....
 
Comment

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
19,233
2
London, England
Originally posted by teabgs


This is increadable technology....there is one thing that could be bad though...who will control this tech in the future? The government? Rich private citizens? Where will it be? WIll terrorists have it?
Very good points. Are the human race responsible enough to look after a technology like this correctly & not let greed, corruption and power lead to global disasters...my guess is sadly no :(
 
Comment

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
22,561
0
VA
Come on guys, don't expect this to happen anytime soon. They're working with photons, not matter. When they actually figure out how to replicate matter that will be another thing. And it will be closer to the food replicators or engineering replicators you see on StarTrek than the transporters. So you'll be able to make matter from energy, or something like that. Which will have huge benefits in itself, but transporting things just doesn't make sense, it would be killing yourself in one place and remaking you in another. Personally, I'd not like to go through the experience.
 
Comment

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
605
0
California
About real-time: The bars will still be there, but the time it takes for the computer to compute the tasks will be so fast that you won't see the bar, or the bar was only displayed for such a short period of time.

Teleportation sounds cool, I would have fun even moving myself 1 m around the room. But lets put it into perspective, we won't see this for a while working with humans. A laser beam is small, but a human is humoungous compared to it. Also, teleporation sounds kinda iffy. Imagine if something went wrong while you were being teleported, it wouldn't be a pretty sight, when or if you came back to life!
 
Comment

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
2,307
0
Greensboro, NC
duke is right. until someone comes out with a better theory of matter teleportation, the matter being teleported must be destroyed in order to be put somewhere else. no thanks.
 
Comment

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
11,897
0
Metairie, LA
re: technology

We're to the point now where no technology is ever going to be static & always constantly become obsolete. We're moving so fast into the future these days, it's almost useless to try and stay on top of the latest thing.

This is very cool, but until they come up with a way to beam us up from one location to another to avoid friggin' traffic, I'll sit back and just watch it go by...he he he ;)
 
Comment

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
2,655
0
Kent, UK
Originally posted by dukestreet
Come on guys, don't expect this to happen anytime soon. They're working with photons, not matter.

Oh please.:rolleyes: I was just messing around. Something like this isn't going to hit mainstream for years, more likely decades. I didn't seriously expect something from this for NY :rolleyes:
 
Comment

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
22,561
0
VA
you're not getting what sparkelytone and I said, transportation of people would require 'killing' you at the transporter location and reassembling you - basically a copy of you - at the destination. There are too many things invovled here - besides, have you ever heard of the Heisenburg Uncertainty Principle? Why do you think StarTrek transporters had a Heisenburg Compensator built in to them....check it out at google, I couldn't do the theory justice here, its way to crazy an idea, like all good quantum physics.

I don't know whether its a good or bad thing that I know this.....the depths of my geekness are deep.....:D
 
Comment

spuncan

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2001
287
0
Detroit
Exploding Brain Syndrome

Ahh I get so confused by hi-level physics. Messing w/ the cosmos and matter is way too confusingg to me unless i really think about it. I'm sticking with biology :D .
BTW- When this comes out but just think @ that time we will have fusion and particle weapons that can easily destroy the entire planet with just one button push and a beam shooting out. So theres pluses and minuses of all technology
 
Comment

gelbin

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2002
146
0
teleporting laser beam is old news

just wanted to chime in and say that this news is old news. i can't remember when this was first reported, but it was while (read > 1 year) ago...

just fyi.
 
Comment

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
605
0
California
Re: teleporting laser beam is old news

Originally posted by gelbin
just wanted to chime in and say that this news is old news. i can't remember when this was first reported, but it was while (read > 1 year) ago...

just fyi.
Really? WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL US? hehe... ;)
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.