Ind. court: No right to resist 'unlawful police entry'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, May 13, 2011.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Does this scare anyone else?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...nlawful-police-entry-20110513,0,2225708.story

2. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

This is outrageous. The 4th amendment is possibly the most important part of the constitution. This will hopefully get overturned very quickly. I wonder who is paying off these judges that allow this kind of thing to pass.

3. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

That is complete ********. And this is on the heels of what seems to be a botched SWAT raid in Arizona.
    This is wonderful. :rolleyes: So when SWAT illegally enters an Indiana home and shoots someone, their only redress is a civil action?

4. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

It's completely crazy, but it IS Indiana. This needs to go higher than Indiana's courts and be struck down ASAP.

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

WTF? I hadn't heard about that botched raid in Arizona. That is insane. Fewer shots were fired while capturing Bin Laden for christs sakes. And you know no one will face any consequences. The officers will be put on paid administrative leave, someone will "investigate" and they'll end up getting cleared of all wrongdoing. There's no accountability for them.

6. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Wait. So what are you advocating? That if people think the police are entering their house illegally (which may be difficult for people to determine), they have the right to resist arrest by any means necessary?

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

*******e agendas are happening all around us. We've sunk so low as a country.

I see, we take "modern" views of the 4th but not the 2nd.

8. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

What I'm advocating is that if police enter my home illegally, I have the right to defend myself.

Also, that they be punished for illegal entry.

9. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Defend yourself how? You really think it's in your best interests to fight armed police officers?

10. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Agree on both points. There has to be some clear punishment for these types of illegal entries. The system should be set up to protect the right of the citizens, and when you have these laws that could possibly infringe on those rights there has to be an extreme result. If not, there is nothing to stop officers from targeting people whom they "think" may have done something, or who may have something illegal in their homes.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It doesn't scare me. The police are the ones with the guns. If they're really hell-bent in getting into my home, I'm not going to stand in their way.

I'll just hire a good lawyer and have all the illegally obtained evidence thrown out of court later.

12. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

WTF? You really think it's in your interest to let police do what they want, even if it's illegal, in your own home? I can't even believe for one second that you think this is OK. Amazing.

That's the problem though. These officers suffered no consequences for their actions.

13. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

scares me about as much as the government being able to force us to buy health insurrance

Crazy world we're heading twords is we stand by and keep letting these power hungry polititions get their way...

14. skunk, May 13, 2011
    Last edited: May 13, 2011

skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Just like the old days of the Redcoats, isn't it? What on earth were you all fighting about if you give it up now? You might as well have stayed on as a recalcitrant Dominion. We would have made allowances.

15. KingYaba, May 13, 2011

KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Criminality, at least. Only a civil action? Come on... forcefully entering someone's premises is trespassing if not home invasion and they should be arrested and charged if that's the case. That home owner shouldn't be punished and arrested for getting physical on his own property when the cops are at fault.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Police officers rarely do.

They have a [relatively] free pass to make horrendous, life-altering mistakes without being held accountable for them.

Doesn't make it right ... it's just the way it is.

17. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

You have no idea what actually happens. Go talk to your local Public Defender and your local Prosecutor, and then spend about 3 weeks in open court. You will be shocked at what actually happens.

A local cop broke his flashlight over a guy's head, and was bragging about it in chambers.

A defendant told me about being tazered because the police kicked in his door (they intended to raid the house across the street). My client was charged with resisting an unlawful search.

I have hundreds of these types of stories. Every PD does. Every prosecutor does.

18. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I must say it's been rather enjoyable being under your benevolence so far.

19. leekohler, May 13, 2011

leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

You act as if this is acceptable and nothing should be done to fight it.

Well then, this has apparently gone way too far.

20. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

I could get behind this part theoretically, though I have a hard time imagining when/if the situation might occur.

21. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

And pray that the jurisdiction will pay your exorbitant legal fees when/if you win. IE once again the tax payers get screwed. That should scare you.

22. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Certainly if police try and enter your home in the U.K. you are fully entitled to resist their entry,although being the U.K. it refers to non violent means.The old law against "riotously demolishing a hovel" which dates to long before the U.S. existed has been used recently to haul the police up in court and made them pay considerable compensation to people whose homes they have illegally entered.

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Boy howdy.

Do you like to project.

Try reading what I actually type.

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

That's all very well if you have a hovel...

25. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

They could of just ruled that case an "exigent circumstances" and been done with it. Instead they gave the police a pretty wide range to get into a house. Mind you in going in unlawfully the police pretty much give up any evidence they fine to be valid in court.