Indecisive as to when to jump in and invest in a MBP.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jtabije, Aug 10, 2010.

1. jtabije macrumors newbie

Hey guys! I need your help/advice with something. I've officially decided to make a full conversion from PC to Mac. However, I'm a little cautious as to when I should make the jump seeing that when I do, I'm going to be making a huge investment in a heavily-customized MBP. :D

What i'm concerned about, more specifically, is whether or not i should wait for USB 3.0 (or Esata III for that matter) because a change like that would be monumental. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
    - Jesse!

Btw, I'm new to this forum and already am loving it.

2. jtabije thread starter macrumors newbie

..and apologies in advance. This issue has probably been brought up multiple times. :p

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

USB 3.0 will not arrive before 2011 when Intel integrates USB 3.0 into their chipsets for their logic boards. An e-SATA port will probably not arrive, but S-ATA 6.0Gbit/s might be possible for the HDD slot.

Btw, you can edit your posts via the [​IMG] button, or multi-quote posts via the [​IMG] button, as sequential posts are "against" the rules.

Minor Problems

6. Sequential posts.
    Combine your comments into one post rather than making many consecutive posts to a thread within a short period of time.

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics

Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​
    MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

4. rashhashan macrumors newbie

rashhashan

First of all, Congrats brother! Welcome to the Apple Brotherhood :D

So first of all congrats on the decision to switch! I did about 2 years ago and i havent been happier..as far as "diving right in" as you put it, what kind of user are you? Here....I'll give you some choices to simplify it:

Basic User: You use your computer to check email and get on Facebook, occasionally browsing the web.
    Basic Media User: Same as above PLUS you store pictures, movies, and music on your computer... occasionally making photo edits or burning home movies and music
    Novice User: Same as above PLUS you need a little more hardware because you have a few "system hogging" applications and/or games you play.
    Advanced Media Junkie You have TONS of Pictures, Music, and Movies. You may use a Photoshop, Handbrake,Garage Band, or iMovie type program. You may also play a few moderately graphically intensive games (i.e. WoW, Modern Warfare, Fallout, Mass Effect 1, Starcraft II) You need some extra juice because your a moderate power user.
    Über UserNothing is enough power for you! You need the best of everything and you wont take no for an answer...money is no issue to you because Computers is your passion and you will do what it takes to get the ultimate rig. You download torrents like crazy, you have a library of games you hop around to as well as a choice few you always play. You want your rig to chew up ANYTHING you throw at it! "Nuff Said!

:apple:So with that said, which are you?:apple:

5. jtabije thread starter macrumors newbie

@rashhashan

i'd say i'm between Advanced Media Junkie and Uber User. ;)

6. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

There are no SSDs today that can saturate SATA 3GBit/s. Hard drives can't even saturate SATA 1.5GBit/s, not even 15000RPM WD VelociRaptors.

USB 3.0 will be interesting, though, but I wouldn't want to wait for it, because hard drives can't saturate FireWire800 either.

Just get an iMac or MacPro NOW, they just updated. The aluminum Mini is already 2 month old, the MacBooks are even older. On these machines I would wait for the next revision.

And congrats to your wise choice to switch.

As a media junkies, I'd suggest a 27" iMac w/ i5 or i7 and 2TB hard drive, then max out the RAM yourself, it's user accessable.