Independent Venetia

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Meister, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Meister Suspended

Meister

Just want to make everyone aware that Venetia is having a vote on declaring its independence from Italy and the EU this week and there seems to be worldwide media blackout in regards to this topic except for switzerland. The suisse media reports on it. The italian regime already announced that they will use force to keep Venetia from its independence should they chooes freedom from Italy / the EU.

2. malman89 macrumors 68000

Interesting. I remember when I was in college studying in Rome and went to Venice for the weekend. We thought there was a fun bunch of people playing cool music in the main town square, but it was actually a gathering of a Northern League protest. Then we noticed police with riot gear assembling - just in case.

Needless to say, we knew it was time to leave then.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

There is some coverage - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26604044 - although I hadn't heard anything before this thread.

4. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

There is a bit of info if you google it but its kept on the down low. This topic is especially important since the EU and US seem to have a strong interest to keep the crimea under their control.

5. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

That's funny. As noted below I saw it on BBC. Worldwide media blackout? Maybe the world just isn't excited about it. Makes no difference to me whether Venice is independent (I assume that they still want to be in the EU?) or not. Either way, Venice is probably doomed due to the rising ocean.

I don't see any connection whatsoever between this and Crimea. More like Catalonia or Scotland. In general, I am in favor of Balkanization within the EU. Everybody deserves their own little nation within the EU empire. Sooner or later, the EU will have to do away with the one-country one-vote veto, though.

6. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

I already wrote that its not a complete blackout but its kept on the downlow in many EU countries. In fact it is very exciting news. I am in favor of a decentralized EU too. I seriously doubt the sea is going to rise up and swallow venice :rolleyes:

7. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Erm... I think you are confusing Russia, which has military bases and troops on the ground in Crimea, with the US & EU. The US/EU have no troops in Crimea, and they're not the ones surrounding Ukrainian military bases and blockading Crimean ports, thereby trapping much of the Ukrainian Navy.

In any case, since I live in Scotland it will be interesting for me to see how this plays out. One of the arguments here is that if Scotland breaks from the UK, its admission to the EU would be denied by countries that have regional separatist movements (e.g., Spain, and now it appears, Italy).

8. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

US/EU do not need troops in Crimea because it appears that they are quite happy with the recent government overthrow there. But you are right that i dont really know much about the crimea. I just think its the business of the people there and US / EU are usually not that eager to protect human rights when it serves their agenda. So the whole crimea upsets seems fishy to me.
    Scottland could be glad not to be part of the EU.

9. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

While I can understand wanting to escape Italy, that new state not trying to stay within the EU would be a disater (for them not the EU).

As for the rest, don't know enough about the Italian constitution to see wether this is a legitimate vote or just another righwing brainfart.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The latter, I'm afraid. The vote has no practical result.

11. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

Its only a disaster because the powers in charge (the EU /US) will make it one.
    You are also only refering to an economical disaster. Life doesnt evolve around being fat, dumb and happy for everyone. And please keep "rightwing" and "leftwing" jargon out of this since these terms mean something different in every culture and time period. "Rightwing" nowadays is used as propaganda to silence reason. If a group of people wants to be independent it is their god given right to be so. Some constitution doesnt change this.
    The EU is not properly decentralized, no checks and balances, no suficient separation of power. And as a german you should know where that leads...

12. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

given that's it's a non-binding vote, it's really not surprising it hasn't attracters much media attention

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Come again? :confused:

14. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

People of Venetia = wanna be independent. Its their right. Get it?

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I guess that also applies to the confederacy.

16. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

You are not talking about the civil war that happened 150 years ago?

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I could have sworn I saw a reference to someone called "god" earlier.

18. Meister, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014

Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

Do you know what a "Figure of speech" is?
    Ol' Johnny Locke calls is "natural law". Call it what you see fit.
    I rather justify freedom with my imaginary friend than justify being ruled with laws made up by thugs.

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Imaginary friends can come with a lot of baggage.

20. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

You know a lot about imaginary friends? ;)

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I am.

22. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Are they not trying to stay in the EU?

I didn't even know Venetian independence was an issue until the OP brought it up.

23. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Wow. This thread reminds me that some people seem to be affected more than others by the full moon (plenilunio, in Venetia) which for March 2014 was just a couple nights ago.

24. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

How is that connected to the EU and Venetia? :confused:

----------

That moon was hard on all of us. :D

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You said that Venice has a god given right to be independent regardless of what any constitution says. I'm saying the same must have applied to the US confederacy and on that basis the union was wrong to not let them leave.

Otherwise you're being hypocritical.