Indexing media files correctly

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by ajmichmac, Jun 2, 2019.

1. ajmichmac macrumors member

ajmichmac

Getting inconsistent results with Finder when searching for media files such as .flac, .mp3, etc. How does one set up the indexing feature to provide accurate searches of these files? Does the search look at the file's metadata, or can it be set to do so?

2. ajmichmac thread starter macrumors member

ajmichmac

OK then, that sure fell flat! How about a 3rd party indexing program that is suitable for media files and metadata...? Might this be something that is a built-in feature on a good Finder replacement?

3. NoBoMac macrumors 68020

NoBoMac

It all depends, no simple answer.

First, your Spotlight index might need re-generation. From a Terminal window, do the following: sudo mdutil -E /

Once that's done, it still depends on where/how the information is stored. For example, iTunes "Description" field does not show up in Spotlight searches, but if the file has the Description in the file's comment metadata field, then will see.

Pictures in Apple's Photos might not show as the app stores metadata in their own database, and only gets tacked onto the actual photo file when exported and you click the "retain" checkboxes.

Things like Office documents, Office calls a helper program they have to provide keywords to the Spotlight index when you save a document.

You might want to see what information is saved on one of your "missing" audio files via the "Get Info" menu option in Finder: should give you an idea why/why not showing up.

4. ajmichmac thread starter macrumors member

ajmichmac

Thanks, all very helpful tips... am experimenting to see what keywords in what locations may be picked up by the indexer. Another issue: Where does one specify exactly which files/folders are to be indexed? I have some redundant backups that I need to clean up, but ITMT, do not want them indexed.

5. Honza1 macrumors 6502

Google: "exclude from spotlight" and Google will tell you.

6. ajmichmac thread starter macrumors member

ajmichmac

Great, thanks.... so, "spotlight" is the indexer, correct? One year now on the mac, still a newbie I guess. Realized I have multiple old MS Outlook PST data files on external drives that have been indexed and cause duplication in the search results, duh! Cleaning up old files and applying the exclusions. Will get it honed down eventually. Maybe there is such a thing as having TOO MUCH storage space, that is, I grew away from deleting things which has turned into a mess.