macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Great! Any new market for Apple is a positive thing. By making a strong push in India they can grab the interest of one of the largest programming markets in the world.
If they make a good showing with their hardware, and support it well, and give people jobs they are going to be very popular.

freedom

macrumors member
Apple in India…

That is good news!
But what about Apple´s export license agreement(?)?
Doesn´t India have AND manufacture nuclear weapons?
:)
Whatever, I really hope India will embrace
Apple´s products and that their programmers
could help Apple bringing out even better products!

rjgjonker

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2001
Re: Apple in India…

Originally posted by freedom
That is good news!
But what about Apple´s export license agreement(?)?
Doesn´t India have AND manufacture nuclear weapons?
Doesn't the US, Apple's home market? ;)

Kela

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2001
US
Yeah

Nice reply. Umm, 1 billion customers from which you can slash 90% cause the cant afford macs. About 60 million people could and they would since in India, the rich are RICH! So they all want status symbols and I dare say mac aint a status symbol.

-gimp out
:p :rolleyes: :confused: :eek: :cool:

addiecool

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2002
New Delhi, India
I am from India and I know that in the Last two years Apple has increased presence in India. Although being in the trade I know that most people here are dying to get a Mac but it is the pricing that kills it. Can You Imagine that we get a DP800 for US$ 4000 even today? The Igig DP is US$ 5100. Even if they could match international prices in Indian Rupees they can get a pretty good market here.

I myself am a great admirer of Apple machines and in the Last two years managed to get Powermac G4 400, Quicksilver 733 (Oc'd it to 867), iBook, Imac. It is one of the greatest and easiest machines to work with. I am a Microsoft Certified Engineer in the Field for last 6 years and know that there is nothing that can match the ease of a Mac. It is only that users here get to know about it.

Come On Apple, Get your marketing act together :)

Kela

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2001
US
Im sory to offend you my Indian friend. However I cant stop thinking about the scam the Mahrastra State Electricy Board(MSEB) pulled on poor Enron by promising to buy $63 million worth of electricity back in 98 and defaulting at the end.

Secondly, I think my question is warranted...YOU PEOPLE NEED ELECTRICITY to run an I-mac don't you? An i mean UNINTERRUPTED electricity...not the crap that runs in New Delhi (6 hours gone, 1 hr there, 11 hours gone, 6 hours there).

Then there's the question of heat. I believe that the 42 degrees celcius and above temperatures might destroy the circuitry of the beautiful i-mac. Hence, you can only turn them on in the New Delhi winter (So I guess Apple's market there is clearly SEASONALLY BASED??)
:D :D :D

-sorry if this harsh

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Originally posted by Kela
Secondly, I think my question is warranted...YOU PEOPLE NEED ELECTRICITY to run an I-mac don't you? An i mean UNINTERRUPTED electricity...not the crap that runs in New Delhi (6 hours gone, 1 hr there, 11 hours gone, 6 hours there).
Then how do the Indians power the computers they have there now? Seems to me that electricity is electricty. If it can power a Dell, then it can certainly power an Apple.

Then there's the question of heat. I believe that the 42 degrees celcius and above temperatures might destroy the circuitry of the beautiful i-mac. Hence, you can only turn them on in the New Delhi winter (So I guess Apple's market there is clearly SEASONALLY BASED??)
:D :D :D

-sorry if this harsh
If this is true, then why is Apple designing computers that only work in such limited temperature ranges? I just converted, that works out to 108F. Do standard PCs work in 108F temperatures? Seems like the questions above pertain to this one as well.

If Apple can sell in this market, I see nothing but positives coming out of this.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
India

I think that would be good for Apple. But, is Inida a wealthy enough company to actually put money into(no offence to anyone)? I think that country might not be the best for computers...

Kela

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2001
US
Umm yeah, hopefully India has some electricity to power some computers ftaok. Infact FTAOK, why didnt you jsut throw the usual Klugscheisser comment at me about computers using very less energy?? Hmmm??

- gmp out

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Originally posted by Kela
Umm yeah, hopefully India has some electricity to power some computers ftaok. Infact FTAOK, why didnt you jsut throw the usual Klugscheisser comment at me about computers using very less energy?? Hmmm?? - gmp out
What are you talking about? And who's Klugscheisser?

I think that your point was that Apple wouldn't do well in India because the electricity supply is inconsistent and the ambient temperatures are too high. I was just pointing out that India has lots of computers running at this very moment and they run on electricity.

Kela

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2001
US
I don't know how to put this. iGrid might be something out of a sci-fi movie and a commendable achievement but....I feel that India's foundation is too weak. If even something like the electricity grid isnt properly organized, how the hell do they wanto to build iGrid?? (pun intended)

resm

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2002
Singapore
response to Kela

did someone piss on your Lunchpack in India ?

your posting sounds like a spray of Acid.....not very realistic

I have travelled to India between 1986 to 1993 VERY frequently (about 200 times..I lost count) on short trips of about 3-4 day's most of the time and a few times a bit longer.
I have visited Madras, Bombay, New Delhi, Calcutta, Bangalore as well as some rural end of the world area somewhere between New Delhi and Calcutta.
I have frozen my butt off in the winter and got cooked in over 46 C in the summer and got blasted by sand storm's in New Delhi and that far out rural area.
My places I stayed were not the plush 5 star hotels but "fallen star's" hotel's and some private houses.
Never have I experienced 42C inside any house or hotel because, to your surprise maybe, the air cons all worked (well..almost all of the time)
So...I don't know...maybe you are such a nature freak and you put up your computer desk out in the open air ?
Have I experienced brown out's? Oh yes....all over India and I did that also in Manila (up to half a day) Penang, Bangkok and to my surprise it even happend here in Singapore.
And you know what ?
In ALL this places they have used computers for a long time, are still using them and will always use them.
How? well...sometime it beats me too...but despite of your oppinion or anybody else's....they can and they do !
With regard's to purchasing power....well..if you HAVE travelled to India yourself and put your nose into the small and medium enterprises that exist all over the country then you would also have seen that they USE COMPUTERS and not only the large companies.
With regards to private user's.....well..don't you think that out of one billion people there will be enough buyers who can afford to buy a Mac because MANY of them already own a computer and that are not only the "super rich ones".
How many of us on this forum are belonging to the group of "super rich" ?
well....my hands are down.

:mad:

Kela

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2001
US
I stand corrected resm. I apologize for my previous remarks.
Without Spikey and Co. I have no will to fight.