Indian police investigate who helped young American killed on remote island

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
https://www.yahoo.com/news/indian-police-investigate-helped-young-american-killed-remote-094624963.html
PORT BLAIR, India (Reuters) - Indian authorities said on Friday they are investigating whether a young American believed to have been killed by an isolated tribe on a remote island, may have had help from more people than initially thought to make his illegal voyage.

John Chau, 26, was allegedly killed on Nov. 17 by people of the Sentinelese tribe who inhabit the North Sentinel Island in the Andaman and Nicobar island chain. Chau's family said in a social media post he was a Christian missionary and mountaineer.

It is illegal for people to visit the island and seven people suspected of helping Chau reach it, including fishermen, have been arrested.

The fishermen told police that they saw Chau's body being dragged across a beach and buried in the sand.

Police are now investigating if Chau had help from other people to travel to North Sentinel, Vijay Singh, senior superintendent of police (SSP) in the Andaman and Nicobar islands, said in a statement.
what a mess.
Some people who said they knew Chau described him in glowing terms on social media, while others criticized his visit to the island.

"John wasn't reckless; he was incredibly and profoundly filled with purpose and calling," Sarah Prince, who described Chau as a "dear friend", said in a post on Instagram.

"His 'adventure' to India was to bring the love of Jesus to the Sentinelese people. Ultimately it is what he gave his life for, and he was prepared to do it."

Others called his action irresponsible, and said he should not be glorified.

"While I am sad for his family, the Sentinelese have the right to remain uncontacted and keep their own faith." said another Instagram user.
1. the tribe should not get away with murder.
2. might not be murder , more like self defense since per article the tribe could we wiped out by us bringing diseases they are not protected against
3 when will people learn to leave others alone? the arrogance this kid had cost him his life.

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
Let me get this straight... He was willing to risk spreading diseases to these people that do not have any resistance to, possibly making them all ill or even killing them just so he could tell them about this imaginary friend in the sky.
It is illegal to travel to or even get within 5 miles of that island because exactly this type of thing can occur. This island is in the middle of nowhere and the people living there made it clear in the 1990's they did not want to be bothered by outside people.

He knew the risks and decided to break the law. Am I supposed to feel bad that he died?

Sorry, I don't.

Last edited:

ThisBougieLife

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2016
SF Bay Area, California
I'm not going to defend them killing him, but I can understand why it happened. I also understand that he was warned, and apparently they fired warning shots before he was killed. He chose to go further knowing what might happen. I'm not going to say anyone else deserves blame for it, though certainly the Indians who took money to get him there knowing the dangers and illegality did wrong as well. I feel the same way when someone ignores warning signs at a national park in the name of adventure and falls off a cliff to their death. I'll feel bad for their loved ones, but I'll consider them stupid for doing what they did, and I'm not going to say it's the national park's fault or whatever.

And frankly, I don't really care about the religious aspect of it. If your religion says you need to spread it to everyone in the world, potentially destroying other cultures and religions in the process, this is the kind of thing that happens when you meet people who are equally as dedicated to their own way of life. I'm sure Mr. Chau would not want Islamic or Hindu or Buddhist proselytizers coming to his community and church and telling him that the way he lives and worships is wrong. But at least in that case his culture wouldn't be endangered and could easily fend them off.

Some will see him as an idiot who got what he had coming, others will see him as a martyr for his religion. You get out of this what you want. I'm a fan of leaving people alone, especially endangered cultures like the Sentinelese.

Last edited:

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
You know I keep hearing about this island since this guy was dumb enough to make several illegal attempts to contact these people. Now I'm wondering maybe this island is actually like 'Black Panther's' nation of Wakanda, purposefully isolating itself. We all assume that these people are ignorant of modern life, but what if they were just like "to hell with that crap, were good" and left us alone as much as they wanted us to leave them alone.

As for his murder... he was given some pretty big hints they didn't want him there so I'm not willing to condemn the whole tribe for this.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68020
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
The Bible does say you should spread the word of God to those who don’t know him. Technically, this guy was doing that, and doing it to a degree his fellow Christians wouldn’t.

So I suppose to some of them this looks noble. To some of them, he will have died a brave martyr for Jesus.

To the rest of us, this demonstrates the dark side of evangelism. This was a case of all risk and no reward. I’m not so sure what’s noble or martyr-like about that. Arrogance and foolhardiness is more what I’d call it.

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
The Bible does say you should spread the word of God to those who don’t know him. Technically, this guy was doing that, and doing it to a degree his fellow Christians wouldn’t.

So I suppose to some of them this looks noble. To some of them, he will have died a brave martyr for Jesus.

To the rest of us, this demonstrates the dark side of evangelism. This was a case of all risk and no reward. I’m not so sure what’s noble or martyr-like about that. Arrogance and foolhardiness is more what I’d call it.

dogslobber

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
This idiot is a bible thumper who tried polluting these people with his BS. He got what he deserved as he was told not to go there and knew it was illegal. Who knows what diseases he may get expose these people to. Let’s not repeat this stupidity by having somebody go there to retrieve his corpse as they will die too.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
This idiot is a bible thumper who tried polluting these people with his BS. He got what he deserved as he was told not to go there and knew it was illegal. Who knows what diseases he may get expose these people to. Let’s not repeat this stupidity by having somebody go there to retrieve his corpse as they will die too.
Deserve is not the right word.

Reactions: Rum_Becker

stylinexpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Apparently they all warned him and told him not to go there. Knowing that this would happen he supposedly said he would forgive them if they killed him or had asked God to forgive them. Like he went on that trip knowing he may end up in what he viewed to be as a martyr
[doublepost=1543117650][/doublepost]
When I saw this exposing them to diseases thing it reminded me of Japan lol.. The clubs with hostess services in Japan don’t usually take western men in because they believe that western men may bring their women diseases as if the local men are immune to sexual diseases and as if the local women only have an immune system to defend against locals only :rolleyes:

Reactions: arkitect

ronntaylor

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2004
Flushing, New York
Since when is telling others how to run their lives reason enough for capital punishment? These guys previously killed fishermen who ended up at their shores when the boats broke down
They've had islanders kidnapped and died from diseases and their way of life on other islands destroyed it the past, it gives them every right to defend their lives to the death. Since they had to touch his body for burial, it's still possible that he may infect them still. His Instagram shows him with a worm coming out of his foot. And he interacted with them at least a couple times and was warned off. They shot at him with arrows and he suffered wounds previously. Yet still went back. He was a religious zealot with a death wish. He went looking for death and they accommodated him. He's not a martyr. He was a moron.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Clearly the islanders take the invasion personally. They don’t want visitors at all.
Does not give them the right to kill
[doublepost=1543124992][/doublepost]
They've had islanders kidnapped and died from diseases and their way of life on other islands destroyed it the past, it gives them every right to defend their lives to the death. Since they had to touch his body for burial, it's still possible that he may infect them still. His Instagram shows him with a worm coming out of his foot. And he interacted with them at least a couple times and was warned off. They shot at him with arrows and he suffered wounds previously. Yet still went back. He was a religious zealot with a death wish. He went looking for death and they accommodated him. He's not a martyr. He was a moron.
Agree he was a moron. And he should have taken a hint first Arrow that was fired at him. But you guys are acting as if trespassing was punishable by death. Just like many Republicans do

velocityg4

macrumors 601
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Since when is telling others how to run their lives reason enough for capital punishment? These guys previously killed fishermen who ended up at their shores when the boats broke down
It's believed they exist in the stone age. An early stone age at that. Without the knowledge of making fire even. It's fair to surmise they have no remotely modern concept of right or wrong. Hammurabi's code would be more advanced than anything they know.

They see everyone as a threat and attack them. This is well known and he knew it. They drove him away with arrows twice. He kept coming. He chose to die.

Who knows what happened in their past to distrust outsiders so. Given the death and destruction caused by disease and conflict which happens to other indigenous peoples to this day. One can surmise it wasn't pleasant.

Other nations can be judged for their treatment of people. They are at least aware of humanism, diversity, reason and all the thousands of years of philosophy which shapes the world today. Yet choose to ignore it. The Sentinelese have not been exposed to any of that. They are as close as one can get to innocence*.

*: freedom from guilt or sin through being unacquainted with evil : blamelessness

ThisBougieLife

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2016
SF Bay Area, California
They said this one of the earliest tribes to migrate from Africa over 60,000 years ago.
That is true. They're "Negritos" (can't believe that's still the accepted term), people who resemble Africans more than Asians but live in Asia, like the indigenous Semang people of Malaysia, the Vedda of Sri Lanka, and some groups in Phillippines and Thailand. They are genetically close to the Australian aborigines as well and follow an ancient migration path out of East Africa along the southern coast of Asia into Australia. Interesting stuff. :)

Of course I would like it if we could study their language and genetics further, but I recognize the damage that would do.