Indiana’s ‘Religious Freedom’ law is already hilariously backfiring

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
Loves it. So basically the law was amended a week later to specify it can't be used to discriminate against gay people, but the rest of it remained in effect which led to this wonderfulness:

If you’re someone who pays attention to things, it’s not hard to figure out that Indiana’s Religious Freedom law, also known as the “Religious Freedom Restoration Act,” is just a sneaky way Christian folks oppress gay people. But now that the legislation is in effect, it’s having some amusing unintended consequences.

This Tuesday, Indiana was forced to recognize the First Church of Cannabis, and you don’t have to guess what their favorite religious ritual is.

From The Daily Dot:

The First Church of Cannabis is a relatively new denomination, set to hold its first services on July 1, the first day the religious-freedom law goes into effect, according to Forbes. And by obtaining recognition from the state under the new law, church members (who call themselves “cannataerians”) will reportedly be allowed to light up during their church services, even though they will practice in a state where marijuana is still a highly illegal substance. It’s all thanks to Indiana’s recently reinforced religious freedoms.
The church still can’t buy or sell marijuana under the law, but Bill Levin, the self-described Minister of Love and Grand Pooba, says parishioners will still be allowed to smoke-out during church services.

Another way the law has benefitted the church was the tax-exempt status it was granted last week by the IRS.

“Somebody at the IRS loves us because we got it back in less than 30 days,” Levin wrote on the group’s Facebook page.

The First Church of Cannabis has already collected over $11,000 from more than 600 members on its GoFundMe page. If you’re wondering what the minimum donation is, it should be a no-brainer: $4.20.
Props to the IRS for the prompt approval.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Nice. Can't wait until some non-Christians stick it to them like the Grand Pooba and his followers.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Loves it. So basically the law was amended a week later to specify it can't be used to discriminate against gay people, but the rest of it remained in effect which led to this wonderfulness:

Props to the IRS for the prompt approval.
Unintended "consequence"?

Do you have any source that Christians are upset about this church?

I'm willing to bet nobody more than a few random people care that much. I know I wouldn't.

P.S. I'm in New Jersey today, how on earth do you tolerate living in this dump? Puts a whole new spin on the saying "one person's trash is another's treasure" I guess.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2014
Unintended "consequence"?

Do you have any source that Christians are upset about this church?
It's not about upsetting Christians, it's about the fact that marijuana is still very illegal in Indiana and this "church" is now allowed to blaze up legally. Definitely unintended.
I know this is hard for a Christian to understand, but: IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU!

P.S. I'm in New Jersey today, how on earth do you tolerate living in this dump? Puts a whole new spin on the saying "one person's trash is another's treasure" I guess.
Thanks? My part of NJ is far from a dump. It's actually a beautiful place. Don't know what part you're in, don't really care. But I'm sure 100% of your state is just a paradise of right wing beauty. Thanks for contributing absolutely nothing to my thread except stupidity.

And what ever happened to not posting on PRSI anymore? You wrote that whole dramatic goodbye post and everything.

Last edited:

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
It's not about upsetting Christians, it's about the fact that marijuana is still very illegal in Indiana and this "church" is now allowed to blaze up legally. Definitely unintended.
I know this is hard for a Christian to understand, but: IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU!
They can "blaze up" legally. If they can find a way to buy marijuana without being arrested, or to get it from one of the "pot" states. This law doesn't make it any easier for them to use marijuana than it was before, as much as you'd like to make it seem that way. The risky part has always been buying and selling pot, or being caught with it which this law also doesn't help.

Nice try though. Like I said, this story is a lot of yammering on about nothing.

Thanks? My part of NJ is far from a dump. It's actually a beautiful place. Don't know what part you're in, don't really care. But I'm sure 100% of your state is just a paradise of right wing beauty. Thanks for contributing absolutely nothing to my thread except stupidity.

And what ever happened to not posting on PRSI anymore? You wrote that whole dramatic goodbye post and everything.
I've been through pretty much the whole state the past two days. It sucks! Pennsylvania was so much better.

And for me staying away. I couldn't resist, you guys are too much fun to spar with. And I haven't started my residency just yet. Still got 2 more weeks.

Reactions: tgara

Robisan

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2014
For you guys being the party of fun you sure don't act it. I often wonder when the last time liberals on this board even smiled. Most seem so angry and hate-filled.
As opposed to paranoid aggrieved victimhood that's fundamental to the conservative mindset.

Reactions: jnpy!$4g3cwk

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
For you guys being the party of fun you sure don't act it. I often wonder when the last time liberals on this board even smiled. Most seem so angry and hate-filled.
I smile all the time. I'm not the one who thinks my rights are constantly being bombarded from every direction. In fact, I never even consider it.

And odd, seems the other way around for me as far as who's angry and hate-filled.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2014
I smile all the time. I'm not the one who thinks my rights are constantly being bombarded from every direction. In fact, I never even consider it.

And odd, seems the other way around for me as far as who's angry and hate-filled.
Same here. Honestly, most conservatives I meet are ok people to get along with as long as politics don't come up, but if they do somehow accidentally come up all hell breaks lose. It's like The Hulk, their blood just starts boiling.

Robisan

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2014
Wahhh the liberals are persecuting us with their anger toward our backwardness.
More like laughter, snark and ridicule that's taken as anger. Have lost track of the number of times conservatives failed to see that we're laughing at them.

...adding, I swear they elected Louie Gohmert simply to provide comedic entertainment for the left.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009

he lives in Portland we are as far from right wing as you will get he is the oddball here.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
sigh.. I hate when religion gets used to justify hate etc.

I am a catholic and a pretty devout one, but I believe in equality (main message of jesus) and that means everyone. People don't choose their sexuality so I don't see why any religion should discriminate against them.

Reactions: bandrews and bradl

sualpine

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
Wait. So a law designed to reduce litigiousness has done so for both the intended party as well as other parties. How is this an issue again?