Indiana Commissioner Arrested for Public Indecency

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Oct 7, 2010.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Another one bites the dust.

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_...a_Commissioner_Arrested_for_Public_Indecency/

2. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

My state has a lot of embarrassing politicians. He's just another name on the list.(We're not nearly as bad as South Carolina though!)

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Small potatoes... and he has no say in creating public policy against gays.

Calling attention to politicians or public figures who actively seek to deny gays their human rights is one thing, but publicizing somebody simply because they have been caught with their pants down and is republican seems a little excessive to me.

But that's just me.

Carry on.

4. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Everything is open for discussion. I didn't realize I had to pass a test to post threads. He is a public servant who happens to be part of a Republican administration. Republicans are typically anti-gay. While Mitch Daniels may not be as bad as many, he's certainly far from supportive.

It's even more interesting to discuss why these people do things like this in the first place. It certainly has a lot to do with homophobia and self-loathing, so it's also good to talk about from that standpoint alone.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Of course you don't. And I'm not trying to stop you.

I'm just pointing out that I have a dividing line.

I'm more worried about hypocrisy than what party the diddler belongs to.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Quite. Lee I don't think you're being fair here.

7. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

That's your opinion. I think discussing this is more than fair. I've stated why above.

8. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Lee,

I understand your heartfelt compassion for gays and their rights and your disgust at those that openly oppose rights for them or even those who see y'all as sub-human, don't agree with the lifestyle etc etc...

However, I don't think the issue here is anti-gay. The issue here is a married man with children who exposed himself to officers. Period. That is what should be discussed. Not what party, not their stand on gays or non-gays.

Lee I respect you but it isn't always a vendetta against gays or catching people in a homosexual act who otherwise seem to be homophobic.

It's not always political. Sometimes it's plain sadness for the victims of this type of behavior. I think this time it is about the children and the wife at home and not about the court or the republican party.

9. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I don't think you can separate the two. Why do you think this guy was hiding in the closet? It's all inter-related. He's part of a political party that encourages this kind of thing as a result of their core beliefs. It's fair to point out, and it's fair to talk about.

And yes, this is awful for his family. I agree.

10. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

You posting and try to make it all anti-GOP really I think hurts your agrument more than helps it.

Voting party only I will call a truly wasted vote. It keeps the same system going that got us into this mess. Vote for the candidate. I am willing to bet if some of us really started digging we could find some antiGay rights people in the Dem party. Some of the dirt digging going on against GOP candidates is pretty deep.

This guy did nothing against gays directly yet he gets tarred and feathered. It I will call this as low as some gays being harassed for no other reason than being gay.
    So are you going to sink to this low of level making you no better than people who harassed you?

12. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Indiana motor vehicles commissioner Andrew Miller, a member of Governor Mitch Daniels’ Republican administration...

...also a member of a party and power structure that actively suppresses gay men and women's rights, using prejudice and fear to mobilise voters. A beneficiary of the closet, working his way into a position of power and networks while publicly denying his sexuality in order to get ahead.

No sympathy at all.

13. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Where did I say he gets tarred and feathered? Honestly, I think you guys are misunderstanding. This kind of thing happens a lot with Republicans, whether they are actively anti-gay or not. You don't find that problematic or disturbing?

Thank you.

14. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

This is the kind of thinking that is dividing America.

Let's step back and look at this for a minute... Suppose the Mr. Miller is on the fence politically. He is a closeted gay so he supports gay rights, but he is also a supporter of conservative ideals, such as a limited government and lower taxation. He has to make a choice. He chose to support the Republican party.

Maybe, just maybe Mr. Miller feels that it is more important to advance the conservative fiscal principles over being able to marry another dude.

And this makes him a villain undeserving of sympathy? If anything, I would call the the two-party system the villain here.

EDIT: The republican party suppresses women's rights? Last I checked, there were quite a few mightily confused women fighting to "suppress their [own] rights" under the republican party banner. Oh, wait, they all must have mental disorders or be self-loathing or something. No possible way that people can have an opinion different from yours and be right in the head.

15. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

STRETCH

16. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Anyone who thinks that money is more important than basic civil rights is not someone I can support.

And I do feel sorry for this guy, but I feel worse for his family.

Yes, but still interesting to think about.

17. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

You have to be kidding. If you want to be an apologist for an entrenched nepotistic power structure that suppresses others rights, be my guest. But don't try and tell me who is acting in a divisive manner. Besides, I'm not American, so I couldn't care less what kind of thinking is allegedly dividing America. But one thing I do know, as an outside observer, it's fairly clear who uses the politics of division and prejudice.

Nice conjecture plucked from nowhere but thin air.

18. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Say, here's a question: would we be talking about this if he'd exposed himself to female officers in a public park? I'm actually thinking yes.

The problem with these guys isn't that they're closeted gay hypocrites, but that they're nasty. I mean, seriously, it's one thing to be gay and just looking for dates, but these guys always seem to get caught in the most degrading, embarrassing situations.

No wonder they think there's something wrong with being gay. They haven't figured out the problem isn't the gay, it's them.

19. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Very true. How terrible his wife must feel, especially finding out about it (If she was unaware, which I doubt) in such a publicly humiliating way. :(

Anyways-

A better example would be if Mr. Miller felt strongly about right-to-life or limited government or any other number of important, non-fiscal issues.

Does it make him a bad person deserving of public humiliation and a ruined career because he feels that an unborn baby is more deserving of life than his gay neighbor is of marriage? I would hardly call that a stretch., and even if you are pro-choice I think you need to understand and sympathize with pro-life views, despite disagreeing on the governments role in the matter.

My main point is that it is all too easy (and perfectly illustrated by Blue Velvet) to descend into the "we-good-they-evil" train of thought, and to think that somebody deserves to be publicly humiliated simply because they vote for the other guys is, quite frankly, disgusting and ignorant.

EDIT: lol @ your response.

"Conjecture plucked from thin air...." Ok then, my hypothetical fails you.

So we are to assume that any one voting democratic automatically supports every single party line issue? And anyone who votes republican automatically supports every single party line issue?

That was my main point. To assume that he is anti-gay because he is a republican is mighty presumptuous.

20. TheOnlyJon macrumors 6502a

TheOnlyJon

Hooray for us Hoosiers. Just one more thing to make the rest of the country think that we're all morons here at the crossroads of America...

21. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Thanks for characterising my views as disgusting and ignorant. You've failed to understand how the closet works, the corrosive effect it has on society, the self-serving behaviour it promotes, offering little except imaginative scenarios to let him and others like him off the hook and now you wish to smear other's views as unworthy, while showing little understanding of the larger issues.

22. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Yeah I mean its a little like idk being a Nazi or a Member of the KKK.

Just because your party supports killing Jews or blacks doesn't make you a bad guy. After all you support their economic and social messages, you're not "involved" or "supportive" of the bad things that they choose to do.

If you choose to support a party or organization you bear partial responsibility for the behavior of your party. If you choose to be a Republican you bear responsibility for Gay repression. If you are a Nazi you bear partial responsibility for the Holocaust.

You bear responsibility because you are part of that party's power, it doesn't matter if you don't personally support killing Jews, or repressing gays you are partially responsible.

23. Queso macrumors G4

24. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

I never claimed it was not detrimental. I never denied the harm a closeted official could perpetuate.

So, let me clarify. We are not talking about some closeted Wesboro Baptist "god hates fags" idiot. We are not talking about a senator actively pushing "anti-gay" legislation. We are not talking about some wacko.

We are talking about the "motor vehicles commissioner of indiana." Just a guy who is a republican for some reason or another.

So unless you can find some anti-gay legislation Mr. Miller has proposed, or a picture of him protesting at a soldiers funeral with his "god hates fags" sign, you have again entirely missed my point.

Furthermore, I am hardly being an apologist for "an entrenched nepotistic power structure that suppresses others rights." I am being an apologist for a single human being who is likely going to be crucified simply because of his party affiliation.

My bad!

haha this is a thread about a gay republican. I' m suprised it wasn't "godwined" in the 2nd post!

"us vs them"

Again, let me ask a question. Lets suppose I am pro-life and pro-gay. What should I do? Either way I am violating my own moral convictions. Thinking liek that results in a awful lot of "bad guys."

25. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

And you have to ask yourself, why exactly is that?