"Indiana Jones didn't really happen" shock to Russian Communists

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Eraserhead, May 25, 2008.

1. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Well the Russian Communists seem to have got very confused between fact and fiction in the new Indiana Jones movie.

So because of this they want the movie banned in Russia :rolleyes:.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7418727.stm

2. bartelby macrumors Core

You're gonna tell me next that the Nazis didn't really get hold of the Ark Of the Covenant.

3. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

So does that mean all those boys in Brazil aren't all really little Hitlers?

4. noaccess macrumors 6502

Oh dear... war is so last century. Peace is what's in right now.

Seriously, does he really think he's scaring anyone? :rolleyes:

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

They're probably just being crabby because they're portrayed as the bad guy in an American movie once again. It was probably annoying enough in the 1980s and '90s, but since Americans have decided that all terrorists in movies are Middle Eastern....I can understand if they're a bit annoyed at the attention once again.

I wonder what the reaction would be if movies in other countries began portraying Americans as the bad guys who went into their country to steal their valuables, or if Americans were always the evil terrorists who went into the country, caused chaos, or plotted to kill millions of people. Then maybe, towards the end of the movie, the 1 or 2 (local) heroes would kick the crap out of all the American scum and save the day. It would be like when Van Damme went into Thailand and beat up all the best Thai boxers to avenge his brother's death, only after training for 4 weeks. Think of that, but imagine the US being the "animals" who need their asses kicked.

Is it time for such movies to be released? Maybe. I'd love to see the reaction.

Yeah, I really can't recall a war happening at any time this century. That would be completely absurd.

6. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I think it's kind of funny how in American movies the bad guy is always a Soviet or a Muslim.

Although the American's and Soviet's probably would have battled to the death over a crystal skull with mystical powers during the 50s.

7. MacHipster macrumors 6502

Movies like that are made, but they don't pass the "Will it play in Peoria?" Test. :D

8. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

We've had that since 1985 - remember Back to the Future?

9. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

How do they think we feel? Any time there's a chap with a 'British accent' in a Hollywood movie, sure as eggs is eggs he's a villainous type. ;)

10. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

No, silly, it's been in storage at a government warehouse.... :eek:

SPOILER ALERT:

(It almost gets shot up...) :eek:

11. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

Not that I could say that's true (the Brits currently dominate Hollywood) but the same could be said for any American in a British film -- only they're usually portrayed as slutty, naive, rich, ignorant, culture-less, etc.

12. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Me too. I mean, white, American males are never, ever villains in movies...

Lethal

13. pooky macrumors 6502

So true-to-life, in other words.

14. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

I guess so, then.

15. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

This will just ruin Rush Limbaugh's day. He thinks the people in Hollywood who make these movies are Communists.

16. takao macrumors 68040

takao

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valley_of_the_Wolves_Iraq

might be an example .. was a hit even around here with the turkish minority
    i haven't watched it though (subtitles in cinema -> not my thing) but i remmber that it led to some discussions

for some countries it is

17. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

And don't forget Germans and Austrians (Nazi-types and Die-hard types), Italians (mafia types), latinos (drug and gang types), British (super villian and thug types), Asians (Triad/Asian mafia types and martial arts villians), Christian Evangelists (Scam types), etc....... :eek:

18. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

In Germany, any movie that portrays the bad guys as Germans in the actual script/original cut, gets dubbed/changed to Russians. :rolleyes:

19. szark macrumors 68030

szark

** Possibly vague/mild spoilers **

Then perhaps they should do a better job of teaching them the history of their country.

I don't recall the Russians almost starting a nuclear war in the movie, so I don't know how they'd get that impression.

Again, nobody was running around the U.S.A. with crystal skulls in the movie. South America? Yes. But not the U.S.A. Maybe they should get their facts (and geography) straight before denouncing the movie.

20. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

its a shame that people can't separate fact from fiction these days.

21. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i remember that in the original die hard they got changed from "german terrorists" to "european terrorists" but do you have some other examples ? i can't seem to remember any other movie

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

How does "Das Boot" play over there? ;)

23. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

I found this amusing when it was published. Actually, I was surprised it took them this long :p

Thank God I'm American

24. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I don't believe in a God but I'm pleased your a American nevertheless.

25. takao macrumors 68040

takao

quite fine ... on the other side US movies about WW2 are more on the comical side if you aren't used to the fact that both sides speak german in the dubbed version (or think too much about it ;) )

funny fact: in "Das Boot" all the sound was dubbed even in the original since inside of the confined uboot space it was found impossible to record sound without capturing the noise of the camera (because of that the whole movie was shot silent)

and totally coincidentally i saw the series on offer yesterday but hadn't the time to buy the dvd set today