Indiana teen strangles little brother and says it felt good

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by DarkHeraldMage, Dec 4, 2009.

1. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

This is so disturbing. The boy claims to associate with HBO's "Dexter" in that he feels the urge to kill and that it felt satisfying to do so finally. He killed his little brother and then stuffed the body in the trunk and went to visit his girlfriend and give her a "sweetheart ring" as if he hadn't just committed murder. The story (linked below) also describes him admitting to standing over his sleeping father with a knife and contemplating killing him as well. What a twisted kid.

I know this thread will ultimately turn into a battle of people debating whether or not he should be killed by the state despite his age, but I just wanted to point this out first so everyone knows what they're pursuing at this time.

Story on Yahoo News

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Wow. This story literally leaves me speechless. I don't know what to say...
    Well, except for what I am going to say at the bottom.

Well, no point it putting off the inevitable, then...

Being alive should make him ineligible for the death penalty.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Jesus Christ. Tell you what- this guy belongs in an institution and should be studied like a rat in a cage.

Even worse, now I feel bad for anyone involved with "Dexter". It's good show that's now going to get raked over the coals.

4. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

^^^ Well at least he didnt blame it on videogames. :rolleyes:

5. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

his little brother was inelegible for being murdered but that didnt stop this monster.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Disagree with that. However, the Supreme Court has said minors are not eligible for the death penalty, so he is safe from that. Given the cold calculating manner of this crime and the lack of remorse afterwards, this little monster should be locked up for life.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I can hear the news reports about tv shows ruining our children starting already. This kid will quickly become a victim of TV.

8. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

My sincerest regrets to whatever thing I last called "the most f***ed up thing I ever heard."

9. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Which is exactly what he wanted.

10. racers macrumors regular

that about sums it up

I say life in prison with lots of mental help
    edit
    this is the worst thing I have heard in a long time

11. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

That is messed up.

It better not! That's my favorite show on TV.

12. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Thank goodness indeed.

Mental institution or life in prison for this kid, depending on what the court finds.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Sounds like some sort of severe mental problem to me.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh- you know the media is going to jump all over it. It won't take long for them to do a 20/20 and Dateline thing on it.

15. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

"Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of justice, fearing for your own safety. Even the wise cannot see all ends." - J.R.R. Tolkien

I give it a week...

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It won't take that long.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yeah, I heard it before. But since the kid is not eligible for the death penalty because of his age, lets just agree to disagree and not derail the thread.;)

18. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Sad story... I feel empathy for the family...

As our media expands perhaps it would be a good idea to evaluate how it affects society. You may not be able to blame media in sum total for violence but if it is a contributing factor, in any sense don't we, as Americans, have a duty to address it?

19. DarkHeraldMage thread starter macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

"Dexter" is going to end up getting dragged into this. I knew it as soon as he started talking about relating to a TV character that also felt these urges to kill. I've watched a lot of TV and movies in my time, and I've listened to a lot of music, and I've admittedly spent a large amount of time playing video games - but I have never ever felt the urge to go out and perpetuate any of the things I've seen in those mediums in real life.

You can't blame stuff like this on TV. Maybe at 17 he shouldn't have even been watching something like that on HBO, who's to say? But at least he's going away permanently. He calculated this out. This wasn't some temporary insanity thing. I don't want to hear about him getting off on a plea, or going to a psychiatrist and being in a mental institution for a few years and then magically being rehabilitated and ready to be out and about again.

This was a tragic loss. I don't think he should die, but I do think he should lose his life. Permanent residence in jail should suffice.

20. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

It's not derailing if the OP specifically includes the information. ;)

So, one of my questions is whether or not this is a documented psychiatric disorder, this so-called "urge to kill?"

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'm sure that there are many who would say that it is. To me, it seems like an attempt to avoid responsibility for your actions.

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Of course. Isn't this why we have ratings for TV shows and films?

Blaming a TV show is an attempt to avoid taking responsibility. The kid is obviously mentally ill.

23. DarkHeraldMage thread starter macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

Exactly, my thoughts as well. "I couldn't help it. I had these urges..." Rapists use the same mentality. Well I'm a man, and I have urges, but I'm smart and moral enough to control them and not overwhelm somebody else and deny them the ability to make their own choices. People who claim that they just can't help it are ridiculous and I don't believe it for a second.

24. Surely Guest

Surely

^^^^^ Sorry. But that is absurd.

Dexter is on Showtime.

How can he say that he was inspired by Dexter? Dexter wouldn't have been that sloppy, and wouldn't have been caught. Also, Dexter follows Harry's code.

I think he was looking for an excuse to deflect the blame for his actions, and a tv show about a serial killer seemed convenient enough.

This is a sad story. Imagine wrestling with your brother and all of a sudden he decides to kill you. This kid should be locked up for life, with no chance of parole.

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You might want to study more psychology. There are plenty of mental disorders that can cause this kind of thing.