Inexpensive Monitor for 2012 MacBook Pro (non-retina)?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kcrossley, Dec 9, 2018.

1. kcrossley macrumors regular

I'm looking for a high-quality, yet reasonably priced, IPS monitor for my 2012 MacBook Pro (non-retina). I'll likely connect the monitor via the MacBook Pro's Thunderbolt 1 (aka MiniDisplayPort). A 24" is absolutely fine as this MacBook is being retired from graphic design work to administrative tasks.

I currently have a Samsung 2494hm that offers good resolution but has really low brightness. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. IdentityCrisis Suspended

I bought this monitor for my mom's mac mini and man it is a really sharp ips panel for the money. I am really impressed. The stand doesn't raise and it doesn't swivel left or right but it does adjust the angle front to back. We got it on sale for $89 when I saw it show up on slickdeals. There maybe better deals now though. Just get a MDP to HDMI adapter.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/aoc-i2779vh-27-ips-led-fhd-monitor-black-silver/5770306.p?skuId=5770306

This was the original ad we used when we got it. It was a refurb for that price.

https://slickdeals.net/f/12314962-r...idescreen-led-backlight-lcd-led-monitor-89-99

3. IdentityCrisis Suspended

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Pick any of the Dell Ultrasharps.

You can get refurb Dell Ultrasharp monitors for pretty good prices at the Dell Outlet. Check out some of these.

IMHO for most folks and situations you'd want to be looking at 1080p for 24" monitors and QHD/1440p for 27" monitors. Depends on how far you sit from it of course, as well as other factors such as eyesight.

Just remember you'll probably need to buy your own miniDisplayPort to Displayport (or HDMI) cable. They're fairly inexpensive.